This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruined My Day (Long)

Hey guys, it's been a while. I've wanted to post new things here, because a lot of irritating things have happened, but every time I have time to post something I'm just too exhausted. I'm facing some financial challenges, so I've been picking up extra shifts at work. Seeing as I'm working six long days each week (sometimes more) and still having nearly nothing left over after the bills are paid for the month, I'm a bit on the edge most of the time. I've still been lurking around, though.

Anyway, enough of that. Here's what happened today, within a half hour of getting there.

--------
    I just came into the department and was trying to figure out which wrap desk to stand in front of, so I was walking around and seeing which employees were where. A customer called to me from across the department, asking, "Do you work here?"

I took a look at my name tag, looked at her, and replied, "Yes. What can I help you with?"

Customer: Are you at a register?
    Me: Well, I just came in, so I'm not really at any particular one, but I can--
    Customer: I don't care about all that, I just want to get this done, and I need to know which register you're at.
    Me (What the heck do you want, then? Just tell me!): Okay.

That transaction was done in silence. All she had to do after asking me if I worked there was tell me what she wanted done instead of playing "20 Questions" with me. I hate it when customers don't get to the point. Her attitude just irritated me.

------
    Coworker from another department came in, and I waved to her. What does she do as soon as she comes over? Starts complaining. I tried to help her out with her problem, but what does she do? Continues to complain. Like, really? I'm trying to help you out, would you please stop? I don't see her very often because of the way the place is scheduling her, but I dread it when she's in, because I know she'll start complaining about stuff.

-------
    Just as the coworker was going back to her department, another coworker tells me that there's a lady at a register who was waiting on someone (he couldn't do it because he was part of the support crew and had other things he needed to do). I told him I would go over, and he called out to her that someone was on the way. When I got to her, she didn't look happy. Uh-oh, right?

Right.

I get over there, and

Customer: I'm calling corporate, because this is ridiculous!
    Me (thinking, Well, I'm here now.): Sorry, but we cover both areas, so if you didn't see anyone here it's because we were on the other side helping the customers there.
    Customer: Well, it's ridiculous. It's embarrassing to have to ask for help because no one's here, blah blah blah. There's an ink tag on that.
    Me: Yes, I see it.

This transaction was also done in silence, with me standing in front of her looking like a tool while she continued to whine, and bitch, and moan about everything about our store that had nothing to do with me. I continue with the transaction and unlock the ink tag remover, and just before I pick up the pants to look for the ink tag she says, "Don't forget the ink tag!"

Me: Yes, I know.

I hate it when people do that, I already know to take the dang things off. I have a system that I follow when ringing up clothes, and I do check for the tags. Maybe not right away, but like I said, I do take them off.

I removed it and gave her her crap.

Customer: I was going to buy some things over there, but now I'm not going to because I had to wait, blah blah blah. Is corporate's number on the receipt?
    Me: No, just go to the main website and there's a link there. (I don't know whether or not that's true, but I'm not helping someone out with making a complaint!)

Yes, there are only 1-3 people in each large department, it's going to happen that you'll come to a cash register with no one at it. Believe me, we're not just standing around staring at the ceiling, we're helping out other people. Just two days ago I had a line of people at one register, and a lady at the one far away in another department wanted to know the price on something. While she was there waiting I had to ring some items, then do a return, then do that return again because of something stupid that happened the first time. So yeah, don't blame the cashiers, blame the company for understaffing the place.

----

The moral of this really long story, I guess, is don't take things for granted. I've noticed that these days my attempts to help people are met with anger, rudeness, or people ignoring me (saying hi to customers and asking if they need help, only to have them look at me and go back to what they were doing, saying nothing to me in response). I'm more exhausted and irritable because I'm there nearly every day, but at least I try to stay positive while out on the floor (even though these days I feel like unleashing the beast and walking out and going home sometimes.)

So there's my rant. I'm so tired.

Oh, and by the way, totally hypothetical, as I don't expect any of you guys to actually know me, but let's pretend, eh? If you do come in a couple times a week and you happen to see me there each time you're in, don't comment on it. Don't say stuff like, "Wow, you're here a lot!" or, "Do you ever get a day off? You're here like, every day!" My response will probably be a weak smile or even a forced chuckle, but...don't. Just don't. I know I'm there a lot, no need for the comments.
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Ugh! I hate the 'You're here a lot.' comments. I got that a lot at my old store. I'd routinely be scheduled to close then open at least once a week. It fucking sucked but I needed the job and the money so I sucked it up.
    I'm right there with you on the whole 'my checks barely cover bills' thing.
    *offers drinks and cookies of choice*
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth SourRobot View Post
      Oh, and by the way, totally hypothetical, as I don't expect any of you guys to actually know me, but let's pretend, eh? If you do come in a couple times a week and you happen to see me there each time you're in, don't comment on it. Don't say stuff like, "Wow, you're here a lot!" or, "Do you ever get a day off? You're here like, every day!" My response will probably be a weak smile or even a forced chuckle, but...don't. Just don't. I know I'm there a lot, no need for the comments.

'Oh it's not always me. Sometimes it's my twin and occasionally it's our cousin (insert name on your nametag) who looks just like us. Isn't that funny?" said with a straight face if at all possible.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        'Oh it's not always me. Sometimes it's my twin and occasionally it's our cousin (insert name on your nametag) who looks just like us....
        Watch out for my twin, though. He's a little bit unstable. *calls CW* Hey, remember last March?

CW - Damn, dude, I really wish I could...Still in therapy over that. Kinda feel sorry for that customer, tho

(then just trail off and look too scared to continue)
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A good comeback to the last lady might be, "ok, but we can call corporate ourselves right from the store, so they're going to get our side of the story before they get yours..."

Comment

hey SourRobot....do you work in a large department store that begins with an M?

Comment

Quoth NoLongerAShoeDog View Post
              hey SourRobot....do you work in a large department store that begins with an M?
              ...Perhaps...

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                Ugh! I hate the 'You're here a lot.' comments. I got that a lot at my old store. I'd routinely be scheduled to close then open at least once a week. It fucking sucked but I needed the job and the money so I sucked it up.
                I'm right there with you on the whole 'my checks barely cover bills' thing.
                *offers drinks and cookies of choice*
                *Nabs a sugar cookie*
                I used to get that even when I wasn't there nearly every day and I was able to brush it off. I guess now it's just a reminder that I can't really have a life because of obligations outside of work, so most of my life is being spent at the store. Most of the time it's said by the regulars that I don't like. You know, the ones who visit your department so often that they they think you guys are close buddies, but end up giving you the most problems? Ugh.

Comment

Heh, my regulars who are in there more than I am I can joke with about the "Did you sleep on a cot in the back?"

I work the effed up shifts. 3-1130 then turn around to go 8-430. Makes for a long 2 days.

Comment

...Perhaps...
                    Yeah...I work for that corp. too (although in the NY office, haven't been on a salesfloor in years). Customers don't realize that salesfloors are short staffed because of corporate. In an effort to keeps wages down the floor is staffed bare-bones. Calling corporate means you're calling the ones that cause the issue in the first place. And how can you stop shoplifting when one person has to cover tons of square footage. I'm sorry you have to deal with customers who don't understand the issue (a lot of them would still be aholes even if they did though).

Comment

Well, to think you're there a lot, she has to be there herself to see you - which means she's there a lot as well. And at least you're getting paid for it

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X