This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about procedure.

So long story short, my step son was accused by DSS of having sex with my daughter. Now according to them, this happened about a year ago. So she had to go yesterday and have a interview and a physical exam. I'm questioning one of the things they did during the exam. It was done at the CAC by a nurse. During the pelvic exam, they took pictures to "send to the male doctor" so he wouldn't have to come in to the office to actually do the exam. I'm just wondering if this is normal procedure.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

I would suggest asking the clinic what their policy is.

It's possible that the male doctor remained outside of the examination for your daughter's comfort, or privacy.

Comment

Never heard of that one. Sounds odd to me. Now, taking photos for documentation, I could understand, but not the male doctor not examining the patient. Normal practice in my experience is to always have a female nurse in the room with them while they do the exam. Heck, even my femal gyno has her nurse in the room with us while she does the exam.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

My male gp did my pap with a female nurse in the room.
        That seems really odd.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Carina16 View Post
          So long story short, my step son was accused by DSS of having sex with my daughter. Now according to them, this happened about a year ago. So she had to go yesterday and have a interview and a physical exam. I'm questioning one of the things they did during the exam. It was done at the CAC by a nurse. During the pelvic exam, they took pictures to "send to the male doctor" so he wouldn't have to come in to the office to actually do the exam. I'm just wondering if this is normal procedure.
          They may not have told you the whole story.

Yes, it is normal procedure.

However, the nurse wasn't taking the pictures for medical purposes. She was taking them as physical evidence to be used in a criminal prosecution, if there is to be one. The nurse was probably a SANE nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner). SANE nurses are specially trained in collecting evidence of sexual assault.

What happens next will depend a lot on what she found when she did the exam.

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You cannot compare a routine PAP with a rape kit exam. There are different procedures to follow, Panacea would know the hospital side better than I would. I mainly know the EMS side from Paramedic training.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
              You cannot compare a routine PAP with a rape kit exam. There are different procedures to follow, Panacea would know the hospital side better than I would. I mainly know the EMS side from Paramedic training.
              My female OB/GYN routinely does Paps on me without a nurse. My old male OB GYN always had a nurse chaperone him.

I've worked with female ER docs, NPs and PAs who still wanted a nurse to chaperone them. I consider it prudent.

Since SANE nurses are usually female, they are not always chaperoned the way a male nurse would be. The evidence collection procedure is lengthy, tedious, and time consuming. I've assisted with rape kits before, in ERs that didn't have a SANE nurse available. When I assist with a rape kit, I cannot leave the room for any reason until it is completed.

It involves an external and internal physical exam of the genitalia. Photographs of both are taken with special cameras, and detailed sketches done of any injuries that occur during intercourse. In forcible intercourse, the injuries can be quite severe. In consensual intercourse injuries to the genitalia (usually evidence of the breaking of the hymen or minor abrasions are common even in consensual sex). Evidence of these minor injuries can be evidence of statutory rape or incest.

In addition swabs of the external and internal genitalia and the mouth are also taken and checked for the presence of sperm. Hair samples from 3 locations in the pubic areas and the head are taken to look for hairs from the "partner" (ie the hair is combed and all loose hairs are taken). Blood tests and swabs are done to test for STDs.

The alleged perpetrator will also have hair and blood samples taken, and possibly a physical exam to look for signs of reciprocal injuries (ie, the victim fought back, or common injuries that may occur to the male even in consensual sex such as abrasions, hickies, or bite marks).

Since the alleged event took place a year ago, the exam is likely looking for scarring, evidence that any sex took place at all (if the hymen is intact, penetration may not have taken place), and evidence of recent sexual activity with the same or another person. Since I am not a SANE nurse myself, I am only speculating on that part.

The OP would be well advised to not jump to any conclusions at this point. I pray that whatever comes out of this investigation will lead to the right conclusion and justice being done.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
              X