This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Same here. When I was a child, acted as a child and respected as a child -- growing up in the Deep South, that meant "If they're older than you, their name is 'Sir/'Ma'am'. Anything less is assumed to be an intentional insult. This goes double for family members, even if they're assholes. Especially if they're assholes." .... When I became a man, I grew the hell up and started thinking for myself
    I grew up in the South myself, with the same upbringing. I call everyone I don't know Sir or Ma'am if they are adults, because even a hint of politeness greases the social wheels.

And if you know how, you can modulate your voice to turn it into a deadly insult when necessary

Quoth Amanita View Post
    In regards to corporate vs retail or other service jobs, I bet some of these white collar types also think they`re better than the cleaning and maintenance crews who look after the office buildings they work in.
    A good janitor/housekeeper is worth their weight in gold. The building I work in had a GREAT housekeeper when we first opened. She did a fabulous job keeping the place looking nice, even when the bathroom had design flaws that caused the plumbing to leaving a lingering stench (the construction company is being sued for this by the college). Then she threw out her back, and got fired.

We had a string of piss poor janitors/housekeepers who would get on the office computers of the faculty and do who knew what on them. I always keep the screensaver with password protection on, and don't use a password that can be guessed so this wasn't a problem for me. They'd hide and not do the job. When I could write my name in the dust on the walls of the bathroom stalls, I'd had enough.

Our current gal has high standards and the floor looks nice again. She's also friendly, so we've made efforts to get to know her better.

I know what she does is hard work. Work is work; it doesn't care who does it as long as it gets done.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    I WANT DELIVERY!!!!!!!
    Sorry we no longer offer delivery serivce
    WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH WHY?????
    Because you kept telling our driver to get a "real" job, so they did. NOW no one wants to do a "unreal job". So sit in your own soup and stew.
    Yeah, they all got real jobs because they couldn't afford to be pizza delivery drivers what with all the SCs stiffing them on the tips.

I always tip, having worked that job myself and knowing what it's like. And I know the drivers know who the tippers are; I always seem to get my delivers lickety split.

Recently, I got a delivery from a new driver I didn't know. She was actually surprised when I tipped her, and got this look of relief on her face. "I thought this place was like the other houses." I asked her which ones, and she pointed to my idiot neighbors with the vicious dogs. Figures
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      And if you know how, you can modulate your voice to turn it into a deadly insult when necessary
      One of many talents one learns in such a milieu

She was actually surprised when I tipped her, and got this look of relief on her face. "I thought this place was like the other houses." I asked her which ones, and she pointed to my idiot neighbors with the vicious dogs. Figures
      I understand that not all delivery places have this as an explicit policy, but they probably all *should* -- At the ones I've worked at, if there is a dog in the yard that can reach the footpath -- chained or no, it doesn't matter if it's a doberman or a weenie dog -- we stop at the fence and call the customer on our cell phone so they can come out and get their food. If the order taker hears barks on the line, or the owner *gasp* warns us, we will tell them they need to corrall the dog or have it inside or we can't enter the yard.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        I understand that not all delivery places have this as an explicit policy, but they probably all *should* -- At the ones I've worked at, if there is a dog in the yard that can reach the footpath -- chained or no, it doesn't matter if it's a doberman or a weenie dog -- we stop at the fence and call the customer on our cell phone so they can come out and get their food. If the order taker hears barks on the line, or the owner *gasp* warns us, we will tell them they need to corrall the dog or have it inside or we can't enter the yard.
        My idiot neighbors keep their dogs in the back yard. The last set disappeared rather suddenly when I called Animal Control and complained that the dogs:

1) Had no shelter. It had been pouring down rain for two days and this was my 2nd call.
        2) Had no food under cover for two days.
        3) Sounded in distress with their barking (only one seemed mildly aggressive, and I think he was being protective of the female).

It'll be interesting to see how long it take them to get new dogs. Hopefully they've given up.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
        X