Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best moments of the Dresden Files (spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seraph View Post
    Bob was much better in the TV series than in the books. I hated to admit it, but he really was.
    I seem to recall an interview with Butcher where he admitted that he liked TV Bob better. I tried to find it, but my Google-fu was too weak. >_<

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

For me, one of the most heartwarming moments in the series was when Harry interviews the EMT in "Dead Beat", because that's the first time in the series a muggle recognises that Harry is something more than a charlatan, and someone who actually helps people.
      The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

In regards to the Television show, I watched it and did in fact really like it. Then I read the books and realized what a horrible hatchet job they did to the mythology and characters. It's not about changes to make it fit tv but change for change sake, the werewolves are a perfect example is the episode with the werewolves, they spend half the book spelling out that werewolves don't infect by bites and that there are multiple kinds each unique to themselves. Then in the they go with the cliche werewolves of biting and full moon etc.

They cut entire characters, made Justin his uncle for some reason, changed the rules of magic.

Worst of all they made Harry a moron, in the books he understands the hierarchy of the White Council and how it works and what the laws are but in the series he doesn't have a clue.

Also Bianca, villain and monster in the books but on the show sexy vampire love interest.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

You can't really think of the characters from the TV-series as being the characters from the books whose names they share. Rather, they're composites of different characters, so they can keep as many elements as possible without going through so many character introductions. If they tried to introduce every character from the books, that series would have been nothing but character introductions.

TV-Bianca is a composite of book-Bianca and book-Lara, so they don't have to introduce separate vampire-monster and vampire-seductress characters. TV-Mai is a composite of the entire Senior Council. Justin Morningway is Justin DuMorne, the Leanansidhe and the White King, all of Harry's family issues baked into one. Morgan is still the scary, sword-wielding obstructionist, but has been given some of the protectiveness and reasonableness of the series' other sword-swinging badass, Michael...

I agree that many interesting characters were cut, but the ones I find interesting are the ones who have the most backstory, and cramming all that into a one season TV-series... I know that ain't happening.

I would, however, have much preferred to see "The Dresden Files" treated like "True Blood", i.e. one season/book, but, alas, 'twas not meant to be.
          Last edited by Divra; 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM.
          The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
            I would, however, have much preferred to see "The Dresden Files" treated like "True Blood", i.e. one season/book, but, alas, 'twas not meant to be.
            It was a couple of years too early, unfortunately, and produced by a group without the budget of HBO.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I can't really defend the TV series, but I know there were some changes from the book that had to be made. Some concepts that work on paper (and even then only work when Jim Butcher is writing them) do NOT carry well to screen.

So, I do the same mental transition I did with the Crystal Skull movie. It shares elements of Indiana Jones, but my mind doesn't consider it an Indiana Jones movie. As such, the TV series shares elements with the Dresden Files books but they are NOT the books. Makes them more enjoyable, in my opinion.
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

One of the moments I loved was Harry as a ghost possessing Molly, in the parking garage. The thinking is something like the bad guys knew Molly was great with illusion, not so much with fire, so the idiot walked right into Harry's fire. Harry, see, is GREAT with fire.

Overall favorite characer: Bob. Hands down. And I gotta say that Evil Bob is just nasty.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                X