This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way - MREs.

But if you want simple food without worrying too much about cooking, I'd suggest hot dogs, pasta if you're feeling fancy, steaks on an iron skillet. once the pan's hot enough it should just be 5 min per side for each steak.

Or there's the miniature fuel-powered water cooker. we have one for emergencies.

whatever you do however, don't get rice. you go through a lot of fuel to cook it. and there's easier grains to cook. Seriously, once you get a pot of water boiling pasta takes 8 minutes to cook.

Comment

Just noticed this article...

http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20120...mpfire-cooking

Comment

Umm, I have a quick question before you that no one has asked before hand:

Are you hiking?

The reason I ask is because if you are, you want to hit up a camping supply store for dehydrated food. Weighs about a tenth of conventional food (you'd be surprised at just how much water is in your food) and about a third less space. Preparing for a hike is like preparing for a space shuttle launch: Weight is at a premium and every little bit helps.

While there, get an emergency kit and pick up some strike anywhere matches. Dip the heads in some melted wax and you have waterproof matches. Simply scrape off the wax and strike when you want some fire.

And MRE's are cheating.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm driving into a state park, and pitching my tent less than 100 yards from my car. It's a LARP event where Plot says we're hiking into a rain forest, so we each have to bring our own food. We have eight people who say they will come, five maybe's, and it's in August in Georgia, so who knows.
          What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
            I'm driving into a state park, and pitching my tent less than 100 yards from my car. It's a LARP event where Plot says we're hiking into a rain forest, so we each have to bring our own food. We have eight people who say they will come, five maybe's, and it's in August in Georgia, so who knows.
            How about real mideaval food? Stefan keep the florilegium and it has something like 15 years worth of an SCA cooks list on it. Ages ago I wrote Cheap-Apicius-art - 9/27/98, it is under the heading "food" I made that while camping a fair amount.
            Cariadoc of the Bow is well known for camping for a couple weeks at Pennsic without a cooler at all, I know he has something on his site about it, let me rummage for a bit. Hm, nothing specific, but check out his recipes, there are a bunch that are suitable for camping.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Having a car and a campsite definitely make things easier.

If you have the free time after hiking, and there's a store within driving distance of the park, and you go into town and bring back a gallon or so of ice cream in the evening along with some ice cream cones, you will be the most popular person in the entire campground. You will also have no problem getting rid of all that ice cream before it melts. I may speak from experience. (at a Girl Scout encampment...on the last evening we went on a mini road trip and brought back ice cream...suddenly we had dozens of new friends, lol)
              Last edited by bhskittykatt; 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth evilprogrammer View Post
                The easiest route is to forgo any pot or utensils at all, and make hobos. Make a seasoned patty of ground beef, cut up and lightly salt carrots, potatoes, or chunks of cabbage and wrap the whole thing in heavy duty foil. Make sure to fold the edges tightly, and roll to prevent leakage. Place on a bed of hot coals, and check after 20 minutes
                I've also used this recipe though I believe you can add in a tiny bit of cream of mushroom soup or something like that (I think it was about a spoonful or so) to keep things from getting too dry.
                "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                X