This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good recipes with mascarpone cheese?

My husband and I went to a new grocery store this weekend and it was much bigger, much better, and had a much wider selection than our normal grocery store. We walked out spending about twice as much as I had intended, but I am sooo happy to have found some of the stuff I did, including mascarpone cheese, which I have never been able to get at our regular grocery store. So now I need some recipes!

I am thinking I might try these lemon blondies to start, but I fully intend on going back to the super fancy grocery store and getting more mascarpone cheese in the future, so long as I have things to make with it.

There's always the classic tiramisu. And mascarpone can be used pretty much in anything you'd use cream cheese in, just watch the seasonings since mascarpone is milder than cream cheese.

I like to use whatever variety of mildly flavored soft cheese that I have handy in my macaroni and cheese sometimes. Half a cup to a cup of cream (by preference; you can use milk), couple of tablespoons of soft cheese over gentle heat with stirring til it's melted, then add in shredded cheddar and stir til that melts too, then mix in your pasta.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Tomato and mascarpone soup is scrummy. Also a Tomato and mascarpone sauce for pasta
      I second tiramisu too
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Strawberry Tiramisu

Ingredients:
        2 pounds of strawberries, sliced
        juice and zest of 1 orange
        2 packages of lady fingers (about 48 fingers)
        2 cups of heavy whipping cream
        ¾ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
        3 egg yolks
        8.8 ounce container of Mascarpone cheese
        2 tbsp powdered sugar + extra for garnishing
        2 tbsp gold rum (optional)
        1 tbsp grand marnier (optional)

Directions:
        Macerate sliced strawberries in fresh squeezed orange juice and 2 tablespoons sugar

Put a pot ½ full of water over medium heat and bring to a boil
        Whip egg yolks in a medium heat-proof bowl until thick and pale (about 4 minutes)
        Place bowl over boiling water and beat in ¾ cup of sugar, ¼ cup at a time, making sure each addition is completely incorporated before adding more.
        Continue to beat on high, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until mixture is very thick.
        Set bowl of cooked egg yolks aside to cool.
        Heat ¼ cup of the cream up until just steaming.
        Add the heated cream to the egg mixture and blend.
        Cool egg mixture to room temp and then blend in mascarpone until smooth.
        Refrigerate egg-mascarpone mixture for at least 1 hour.

Whip remaining cream to soft peaks.
        Fold 2/3 cup of the whipped cream into the refrigerated mascarpone custard.
        Add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and orange zest to remaining whipped cream and whip to stiff peaks.

Strain strawberries and mix rum and grand marnier with juices from the strawberries.
        If omitting the alcohol, just reserve the strained juices.

Place half of the lady fingers in the bottom of serving dish and brush with half of the reserved juices.
        Top with half of the strawberries.
        Spread ½ of the mascarpone custard over the strawberries.
        Top with remaining lady fingers and brush them with the rest of the juices.
        Top with remaining strawberries.
        Spread remaining mascarpone custard over the strawberries.
        Top with the orange whipped cream and garnish with powdered sugar.

Refrigerate until serving.

Keeps in fridge for up to 3 days.

PS - This is a recipe I invented. Please credit me when sharing with others. Thanks! Promise Whitley
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Here's an incredibly easy one that always gets me raves.

1 package of mascarpone cheese
          1 jar of fig preserves

Dump them both into a bowl and mix together. Serve with fruit or cookies for dipping. I especially like it with those Carr's Whole Wheat Crackers. They're thicker and sweeter than regular crackers, almost like cookies. I'm making myself hungry!

You should be able to find fig preserves in the fancy grocery store. I would imagine other flavors of preserves would be good too.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
            Here's an incredibly easy one that always gets me raves.

1 package of mascarpone cheese
            1 jar of fig preserves

Dump them both into a bowl and mix together. Serve with fruit or cookies for dipping. I especially like it with those Carr's Whole Wheat Crackers. They're thicker and sweeter than regular crackers, almost like cookies. I'm making myself hungry!

You should be able to find fig preserves in the fancy grocery store. I would imagine other flavors of preserves would be good too.
            I find figs to be cloyingly sweet, I like a tarter berry like lingonberry. You can also make a garlic dip using mascarpone, it doesn't have to be sweet.

Also you can make your own mascarpone - scald heavy cream, add lemon juice and strain in muslin. There are recipes online.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

New grocery store? What new grocery store? Share??

As for mascarpone, I've got a book of Italian recipes around here somewhere, I'll go through it, see which ones use mascarpone, and get back to this thread later.

Comment

I've managed to do a quite decent rhubarb trifle with mascarpone (recipe goes just as tiramisu, but with rhubarb porridge (put rhubarb in pot, add sugar, cook for 5 minutes - done), ladyfinger crumbles + a bit of orange juice instead of coffee. Marsala/sherry is optional).
                Last edited by NorthernZel; 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM.
                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                X