This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing complaints

We got a complaint from a woman who says she was upset about paying $30 more a night here than at [same brand in city 45 minutes away], and that next time she's staying she'll be somewhere else because we need to be "more in line with the competition".

We are the lowest price of all the major chains, which are at least $10/night more. There's an independent place across the street that is $6/night more than us, and that's the next cheapest place besides us that I've found (and honestly, you'd want to bring your own bedding/cleaning chemicals if you want to think about staying there...there's a reason they lost their franchise from a big chain and had to go independent). There are only three places in the same tier as us in town that we don't price check against, but that's because they're veritable sh*tholes (and during peak times, still usually cost more than us, from what other guests have said).

Other MOD wants me to write a response to this complaint, even though she already explained that we are not in [city 45 minutes from us] and that prices vary by the local market. That's when the woman responded with the "be more in line with the competition" remark.

I think I'll just let it sit, though, since I'm unsure if I can censor my snark. She can find out the hard way when she pays $10-50/night more some other place next time she rolls into town.

I really want to point out, though, that one of [our brand] hotels in Wyoming had an average daily rate of almost $150/night last month! In contrast, we are at $60/night. (The motel in [city 45 min from us] was $35/night.)

It just drives me nuts when people say "But in XX town the rate was cheaper!". Are we in XX town? No. Look around at the other hotels/motels in the neighborhood, please, and then come back and rent a room once you get some perspective on the local market!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Seems to me that the perfect reply would be along the lines of a comparison list of every other motel in your town, along with their rates and a comment along the lines of 'Per your insistance, we will immediately raise our rates to conform with those of other local hotels. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Sincerely, *company*'
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
      Seems to me that the perfect reply would be along the lines of a comparison list of every other motel in your town, along with their rates and a comment along the lines of 'Per your insistance, we will immediately raise our rates to conform with those of other local hotels. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Sincerely, *company*'
      PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE send this!
      The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

No doubt it's your fault that the "local" gas prices are higher compared to the next town over, too.

"Dear SC,
        Thank you for your comments. As mentioned before, we base our rates on the local market in *my town*. You'll be pleased to know that *our location* is quite competitive for *our city*. As I'm sure you realize, pricing does vary region by region, and we take great pride in the value and service we offer for guests staying in *my city*.

We understand if you would prefer to book your next stay at *location 45 min away*. Thank you for giving us the chance to respond to your comments and I hope you have a nice day."

A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

While I do like kittish's response, bainsidhe's is more diplomatic. If I wasn't trying to get promoted to GM, the former response would be incredibly tempting...
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            We got a complaint from a woman who says she was upset about paying $30 more a night here than at [same brand in city 45 minutes away], and that next time she's staying she'll be somewhere else because we need to be "more in line with the competition".

<snip>

I really want to point out, though, that one of [our brand] hotels in Wyoming had an average daily rate of almost $150/night last month! In contrast, we are at $60/night. (The motel in [city 45 min from us] was $35/night.)

It just drives me nuts when people say "But in XX town the rate was cheaper!". Are we in XX town? No. Look around at the other hotels/motels in the neighborhood, please, and then come back and rent a room once you get some perspective on the local market!
            Oh, this bugs me to no end. I have had people say "That's your rate?!?! I paid <$50 cheaper rate> in Oklahoma last week!"

I respond with something like "Well, you're in PA now, and we are the Keystone State for a reason. If you want to get to or come from New York or Boston you pretty much have to come through PA. That means we get more business, and our rates are higher."

I just really hate that.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              the next cheapest place besides us that I've found (and honestly, you'd want to bring your own bedding/cleaning chemicals if you want to think about staying there
              Sounds like what I found when my dad wanted me to price out Chicago lodging in his price range back in the '80's.
              He and mom ended up checking into one in Joliet and taking the commuter train into Chicago.

Back to the OP: If you're lower than other major chains in your city, it sounds to me like you are in line with the competition. Let this SC stay at the roach motels
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I had a guy do that the other night. He had a reservation, but I guess he didn't pay attention to the rate when it booked it. So I give him the reg card to sign and he pushes it back and says, "I've never paid that much at your chain before". I explained to him it was a busy summer weekend. (I have had people accuse us of being unethical opportunist for raising the rates during busy times- guess they don't understand supply and demand) Anyway, he did up getting 10% off since he had AAA but still wasn't happy about. I had turned away several other people because we were sold out that would have been happy to pay full rate.
                I know everyone isn't familiar with how the hotel industry works, but it seems kind of weird to me that they would think a hotel chain would have the same rate every day of the year in every city. But then again I'm not a sucky customer so maybe I can't see things through their eyes.
                "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

I'm willing to be that those people who work at the hotels in the least expensive markets still get told the same story.

Comment

I once saw a guy complaining that the rates were too high and demanded a major discount because he "simply refuses to pay that much for a hotel room."

The kicker? This was in NIAGARA FALLS!

For those who don't know Niagara Falls is kind of a big tourist spot and you can pretty much expect to pay premium prices there for everything: Attractions, Food, Parking and yes, HOTELS.

I never saw the end of that discussion but I'd bet the guy didn't get his discount.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

My boss an I both spend 2-3 night a week in hotels. He spends around $100 a night most weeks and I spend half that to get a much better room. the reason is that he's going to Montana and New Mexico while I'm going to Las Vegas. He's staying in small towns where there are few choices. There are so many hotels for me that someone is always having a reduced rate to fill their rooms.
                      It's foolish to think that everyone should have the same rates because supply and demand is different from town to town.

Comment

I'd love to invite this la...er, woman....to check out the prices here sometime, especially during fest time (which really is much of the time) or Mardi Gras >_>

Even out in the burbs near the interstate, 90 bucks a night is often dirt cheap for anything nicer than a Motel 6...
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X