This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I answer this..

How can I answer this question without makes myself sound like an asshole or the customer sound like an idiot?

BG/I'm Chinese/BG

Patient: Hey Doc, you're from China right?
    Me: Black hair, Yellow skin, Squinty eyes..Yep!
    Patient: So let me ask you something, they celebrate the Fourth of July in China??
    Me: *crickets*

Hm, were you born in China or US?

I would say that you could get away with saying that as far as you are aware, only the American Embassy and American citizens observe it?
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Born in China, raised in the US. I am very familiar with cultures of both sides.

I was just taken aback when he asked me that, since to the logical and sensible, it does not make sense that the birth of 1 country is celebrated in another country on the other side of the world. It's not like the US would celebrate October 1st, since that being the China's version of Independence day.

I really wanted to tell the guy, if you ask me a stupid question, I'm gonna give you a stupid answer.

Comment

Quoth MDLackey View Post
        How can I answer this question without makes myself sound like an asshole or the customer sound like an idiot?

BG/I'm Chinese/BG

Patient: So let me ask you something, they celebrate the Fourth of July in China??
        Why worry about the answer making the customer sound like an idiot when his question already did ?

I think I'd say "yes, they do have a 4th of July. No, they don't celebrate anything on it".

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Besides the big fireworks celebrations for China tend to be around the last couple of weeks in January / first couple of weeks in February depending on the year. (China's new year)

Comment

Really, I think the only correct answer to this stupid question was the one you gave: A blank stare. With any luck the silence would convey to the idiot just how much of an idiot he is.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Really, I think the only correct answer to this stupid question was the one you gave: A blank stare. With any luck the silence would convey to the idiot just how much of an idiot he is.
              But then probably not.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Sadly, this questioner was not alone in their stupidity... A quick browse of LameBook or FailBook can confirm that!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

We don't have the 4th of July in Canuckistan. Our calendar skips from the 3rd straight to the 5th - but to avoid fouling things up, the month ends on the 32nd.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Darn, maybe I should've told them that according to the chinese calendar, there are no 4's since it rhyms with "death". Or maybe that we only celebrate July 14th, which is when "supposedly" the gates of hell opens (there is no heaven in chinese mythology) and all the ghosts come out and visit their relatives. Tho dunno if you would consider it "celebrating", with every family burning incense and paper money, dolls, and whatnot.

Comment

Quoth MDLackey View Post

BG/I'm Chinese/BG

Next time someone asks that respond with 'and what does the 4th of July holiday commemorate?'.

The hope is that my making them think about what the holiday is, you'll lead them to the answer without have to actually say it.

Alternately, a simple 'no' might end the conversation quickly. While stepping out of the room for a moment if possible.

The biggest problem is when they won't let go and you have to chase down the rabbit hole finding out that the patient thinks that China is in San Francisco or something.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        Next time someone asks that respond with 'and what does the 4th of July holiday commemorate?'.
                        "Global independence." Seen that one tried, & fail.
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          "Global independence." Seen that one tried, & fail.
                          I...what...sigh.

Once again, I overestimate the general public. How the heck do I recalibrate any lower?
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            ... How the heck do I recalibrate any lower?
                            Divide by cucumber error!
                            [/HEX]
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This sounds like one of those "how smart are you" joke lists.

How many animals of each kind did Moses take on the ark?
                              (None. Moses wasn't on the ark.)

If a plane crashes on the US/Canada border, in which country do they bury the survivors?
                              (You don't bury survivors.)

Do they have the 4th of July in England.
                              (Of course. It's a regular day.)

etc.

Maybe he was going for a joke and blew it?

Either way he was stupid.
                              Women can do anything men can.
                              But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                              Maxine

Comment

Working...
                              X