This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grouchy old man might have to sleep in his Lexus

It's a typical summer weekend and all the hotels in town are sold out, as are all the hotels in surrounding area. People had been calling all night looking for rooms no one had. About 1 AM I have a guy check out of his room, so I go clean it so I can resell it.
    The first guy who comes in is a grouchy old fart driving a big shinny Lexus. I quote the rate of $139 plus tax. He doesn't like the rate, he doesn't like the tax. He wants a senior or AAA discount, I tell him we aren't offering any discounts. And I let him know it's probably the only room open in town. He says "I know, we've been trying to find a room since (town 3 hours away). But still he doesn't like the price and said he'd have to ask his wife. He gets into his car and drives away down the street.
    About 3 minutes later a young, cheerful couple come in, so happy to find a room and so happy with the rate. I rent them the room and just as the go up the elevator grumpy comes back in with his wife and luggage and says they decided to take the room. I had the joy of telling him it was already sold. I love moments like that! Hope they ended up sleeping in their car in the Walmart parking lot.
    About 3 this morning I had a guest come to the desk and ask me if I had a cigarette she could have to go outside and smoke. I told her I didn't smoke and she said "Neither do I, I just thought since I was up late I'd smoke". I have no idea what that was about.
    I notice in stores that cigarettes are close to $9 a pack so I think if I did smoke I wouldn't be giving them out to guest, or would the SC consider that bad customer service?
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

I rarely get moments like that. But such a moment was my first post on this site. In my case, we had the 2008 Democratic National Convention in town so the entire area was booked solid. Grouchy lady doesn't like the price I quote and leaves. Friendly guy comes in a little later and likes the same price as what I quoted the grouchy lady. Grouchy lady comes back and says she'll take the room. I told this to my brother and he was quite thrilled with the double F-You the grouchy lady got.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

If there were no rooms for 2 towns and 3 hours at 1AM, I would snatch it up at that price...come to think of it I did once. The hotel and room proved to be worth it though--an actual breakfast buffet among other goodies.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

These stories sound like a home football game weekend in my town. The hotels brace for calls in March or April when the football schedule is announced. every hotel within 30 - 50 miles of my town gets booked solid in a few days to maybe 2 weeks.

Then there are the other events that fill up hotels at the same time. like the airplane convention that happens every year at the end of July in a town abouit 60 miles from my town(we even have planes parked at the local airport) , of course conflicting a bit with the openning of football training camp or if there is some "big" concert in town or the religious convention that happens every year at the end of May.

Yeah right good luck with getting a room during those times.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Yeah right good luck with getting a room during those times.
          4x4 truck event, Little League World Series, and Bloomsburg Fair in my area.

SC
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Two phrases come to mind.

1 - Beggars can't afford to be choosers.
            2 - Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor.

Seems like the second couple learned that early on in life. The elderly man seems to have missed those two.
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              Two phrases come to mind.

1 - Beggars can't afford to be choosers.
              2 - Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor.

Seems like the second couple learned that early on in life. The elderly man seems to have missed those two.
              Yup, opportunity knocked and he was sitting in the loo at the time. His loss.
              Violets are blue,
              Roses are red,
              I bequeath to thee...
              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I had the joy of telling him it was already sold.
                I'm just surprised he didn't have a fit right there.

Tho I'm betting he caught hell from his wife too

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  Then there are the other events that fill up hotels at the same time. like the airplane convention that happens every year at the end of July in a town abouit 60 miles from my town(we even have planes parked at the local airport)
                  Is that the convention with the same name as a super-expensive (and purchased by stereotyped yuppies) brand of kids' clothing?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Is that the convention with the same name as a super-expensive (and purchased by stereotyped yuppies) brand of kids' clothing?
                    heh like trying to get a hotel in Atlanta in the first weekend of September, and saying "WTF is this Dragon stuff about? Give me a room! I don't want to hear that you're completely booked!"

Comment

Working...
                    X