Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my old job we got graded on email and phone capture. We would get into some really deep crap if the numbers were not above 75%. We started just telling them (nicely of course) to put in their email addresses and it helped boost numbers it also trained them to automatically do it when they came to the register, so for a lot of people we didn't even have to ask anymore. However if they refused I would tell them it was for coupons and then let the issue drop. Some people would go ahead and add it other would just ignore me and not say anything else. Corporate used the 3 strikes and your out rule for pretty much everything regarding the register interactions. One manager in another store was notorious for pushing people to their limit on the email; for example...

Manager: "go ahead and put in your email address for me"
    Customer: "I don't have one"
    Manager: "oh well how about your friend who is with you? She can put her's in an give you the coupons."
    Friend: "No, I don't want to put in my email, I do not have kids and do not shop here." Manager: "Well how about putting in your sister's email or your mom's I am sure they would love to get coupons and shop for your little one?"
    Customer: "No I am not going to give out their information with out their permission."

She did this with every customer who refused to give an email and phone number.You can only imagine how many people got pissed off about it. Some customers got so mad they threw their stuff down and left. Some would shop at my store which was about 30 mins away and say they were never shopping at the other one because of that one manager.

Look I am all for these people putting in their email and phone number because it gave them coupons, and usually the ones who didn't would come back in a few weeks and complain because they don't have a coupon. But, what that one manager does to keep her numbers up are beyond insane. I would honestly call corporate to complain if someone ever did that to me.

A simple "no thanks" or "I am sorry, I do not give out that information" is what should be coming out of the customers mouth and that should be the end of story.
    "The old saying "The customer is always right" is Bull S*it, but you should always treat the customer with respect."~ Professor of Management at UTA

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
      Or you are the Doctor...
      Darn, you beat me to it, I was going to say "or if you live in a Tardis"

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth NoMoreRetail View Post
        Look I am all for these people putting in their email and phone number because it gave them coupons, and usually the ones who didn't would come back in a few weeks and complain because they don't have a coupon. But, what that one manager does to keep her numbers up are beyond insane. I would honestly call corporate to complain if someone ever did that to me.

A simple "no thanks" or "I am sorry, I do not give out that information" is what should be coming out of the customers mouth and that should be the end of story.
        That is eactly how I feel about it, as a customer. I decided who to give my info to, if I want their coupons, and if not a polite "sorry, I don't give that out" should suffice. I shouldn't have to be hassled, coerced, browbeaten or give out someone else's info or false info just to make a purchase.

Returns are a different matter, of course - stores have a right to require info from a customer in order to get a refund, to keep track of those who abuse the system.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

We ask for emails for draws. Many of our customers are older (it's a swimming pool supply store) and get mad at me not for asking personal info, but because they don't have email. Cause I'm the one who decided how the draw is done. I've never understood why people think cashiers have power that we don't have. I get screamed at over prices all the time too. Like I could change it. Like I benefit somehow from high prices.

Comment

Quoth NoMoreRetail View Post
            Corporate used the 3 strikes and your out rule for pretty much everything regarding the register interactions. One manager in another store was notorious for pushing people to their limit on the email; for example...

Manager: "go ahead and put in your email address for me"
            Customer: "I don't have one"
            Manager: "oh well how about your friend who is with you? She can put her's in an give you the coupons."
            Friend: "No, I don't want to put in my email, I do not have kids and do not shop here." Manager: "Well how about putting in your sister's email or your mom's I am sure they would love to get coupons and shop for your little one?"
            Customer: "No I am not going to give out their information with out their permission."

She did this with every customer who refused to give an email and phone number.You can only imagine how many people got pissed off about it. Some customers got so mad they threw their stuff down and left. Some would shop at my store which was about 30 mins away and say they were never shopping at the other one because of that one manager.
            Call me evil, but if I encountered a situation where management was that bitchy about getting e-mail addresses, I'd shop there again ONCE, after doing a bit of preparation. When I got home, I'd look up various spam-filtering services, and try to find an address where you could forward known spam so they could use it to fine-tune their filters. On my return trip, I'd give that as my e-mail address.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X