This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More WIC Woes

A woman comes up with a WIC produce voucher, maximum value $6.00. She also has three fairly large bags of cherries...already I can see where this is going.

She does have a store card, but even on sale the voucher will probably only cover one bag. I still haven't been trained on WIC transactions that exceed a voucher limit (I know they can be pushed through, just not sure how and I'd rather not try to guess these things).

I weigh the first bag, it comes up at 4-something. The second bag triggers an over-limit error. Before I can explain anything else, she starts removing cherries from that bag and putting them into the first one (I now can't void either of them because the weights don't match) and takes back the one that I could have scanned properly.

Eventually it gets sorted out (after voiding the entire first transaction and ten minutes of trying to explain things) and they get all 3 bags.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

The Mart of Wal, you pay any overage. My WIC voucher is $10 for veggies and fruits, so say I get $11, I'd pay the $1 overage.

Now, some people will complain because they'll swear that what they got was exactly $10 and didn't bring their money with them to cover the extra. But they don't wanna put the extra back *waaaahhhh*! Tough, deal. Either put it back or pay up. Don't try to weedle, cajole or threaten. The kid sitting in the buggy is behaving better than you are!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

It works the same way at my store, but each manager has a different way of pushing it through (and it needs a key anyway). I try to avoid overages (I almost never ring in cash-value WIC so my trainer didn't think I had to know how to handle overages).

As far as filling it out, one manager says to write in the product cost, another one says to write the voucher amount regardless of the actual cost.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Before I can explain anything else, she starts removing cherries from that bag and putting them into the first one
        Maybe it's me but ... I'm kinda wondering if that was on purpose, hoping you'd be too flustered to sort it out properly. ... which may also be why it took ten minutes to explain the issue.

Comment

Yeah, I can't understand how putting more cherries into the first bag would help her...it's already been weighed...Did she think she was going to scam you out of some extra cherries, doing that right in front of you?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            It works the same way at my store, but each manager has a different way of pushing it through (and it needs a key anyway). I try to avoid overages (I almost never ring in cash-value WIC so my trainer didn't think I had to know how to handle overages).

As far as filling it out, one manager says to write in the product cost, another one says to write the voucher amount regardless of the actual cost.

You ALWAYS write the actual amount unless it is over the voucher amount. If the total is $11.87 and the voucher is for $10, write in $10. If they get $8.85 and the voucher is for $10, write in $8.85. If you write in $10 and they got less it is fraud and the store and YOU can get in big trouble.

Comment

Today's WIC transaction was fun.

Two of the produce WICs, one for $10.00 and one for $6.00. I got to $7.00 and had a few bags of things left. I noticed the bag of plums was open, so I rang them up one at a time until it was just under $10.

Then for the second one, everything came to $9.93 and I felt really pleased. "Wow," I thought, "I got them both under $10." Then I suddenly realized-- AARGH!!!

Anyway, my store can't go over for numbered values.
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Then I suddenly realized-- AARGH!!!
                another case of moving plums from one bag to another? or that the customer ate some already?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  another case of moving plums from one bag to another? or that the customer ate some already?
                  No; they'd rung up two lots of $10 instead of $10 & $6, I think.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                  X