This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning film

My scanner has the option of scanning slides and negatives. I scanned some today.

I am not pleased. The scans are fuzzy, while the original images are in focus. I understand that this is not uncommon. I know that when I'm looking at the image on my monitor, it's much bigger than the original negative image. It's still not the right sharpness, even given the size.

So - what to do? The scanner is an HP 3210 All-in-One.

You might not have loaded the film correctly in the scanner. Usually there is an adapter to hold the film, and the scanner also has a special mode for extra-fine scanning of film in the holder.

Comment

It's in the holder, and the scanner has a special film-scanning function, which I am using - I'm wondering if I should take the film out of the holder so that it's flat against the glass.

I'm not happy with the way it's scanning slides, either. The slides are dark. I admit this fully. They do show detail, though, which is the important thing. But the scanner keeps giving me muddy or blown-out images.

Comment

Hmm. Film and slides need a backlight too - is that fitted and working? There might be an extra cabe to plug in somewhere.

Comment

Yes, it works. I had the top open when I was fiddling with the holder, and the light shines brightly.

Comment

Make sure the resolution is the highest possible setting (your software may have an option to scan negatives or slides - use that instead of picture). Default is usuallt around 300-600DpI - you will want MUCH higher than that if you want to expand them (yes, the file size may be HUGE but with some tweaking you'll be able to find the right size).
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I worked in a professional lab and we scanned negatives and slides. The grains in film cause issues and a lot of adjustments have to be made to get clear images. Printed pictures work differently than scanned images.

Comment

Honestly i didn't know you could use regular printer/scanners for slides.

I suggested it to my BF for some of his old slides but he said he'd need a special scanner for it, one that won't reflect off the film/slides as it scans.

If you don't want to get one of those you might want to see if a local print shop can do it for you

Comment

Is there a preset setting with the included software for scanning slides specifically, as opposed to general document or picture scanning? Some scanners also have a separate button just for slides. Does your have this?

Comment

It has a different button for film/slides, plus a different holder. I'm using all these functions, though I haven't changed the dpi yet. It did occur to me at the time that this might be the answer; I just thought I'd explore the other options and get professional advice.

I'll let you know how it works to change the dpi.

Comment

Working...
                    X