This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think we gave her a good first impression

It’s thirty minutes before the pub is due to open. There is a knock at the door. We see a woman in her late twenties stood at the door with a bemused expression on her face. She tugs on the doors several times and just kind of stands there glaring at us. I call over.

Me: I’m sorry! We don’t open for thirty minutes!

She continues to stand there.

Me: We aren’t open yet!

She’s still standing there. I decide to ignore her and carry on working. A different co-worker is amused by this.

CW: She’s still there!
    Me: I know. I guess she’s not getting the hint. Let her stand there until we open.

She tries the door again. CW, who is known for being cheeky calls over.

CW: We aren’t open yet! Come back in thirty minutes! Go on! Shoo!

Woman glares at us and walks away.

CW: Finally!

The manager walks out fifteen minutes later.

M: Well that’s just great! We were supposed to have someone new starting today and she hasn’t bothered to show!
    Me: That’s crap!

CW stammers.

CW: Uhhh...she wasn’t a woman in her late twenties with blonde hair was she?
    M: Yeah. How did you know?
    Me: Oh no.

Yeah. We shooed her away from the pub. M gets on the phone and calls her, asking her to come back. He lets her in while CW and I hid in the kitchen, as we were suffering from a mixture of embarassment and the giggles. She was only there for an introduction to the pub, so we didn’t really see her.

However, in our defence, she just stood there! She didn’t wave us over, call the pub itself or anything. And we get a lot of customers doing that in the morning, so it was natural for us to assume that she was just someone trying to get in early.

Why didn't anybody ask what she wanted while she was standing outside? That's what I would have done.

Comment

it sounds like they were busy working & weren't warned that there was a new hire before hand.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Why didn't anybody ask what she wanted while she was standing outside? That's what I would have done.
        99 times out of a hundred (in my experience anyway) is that if you open the door to explain to a customer that the place is closed, they stick their foot in and say something like "Oh at last! I was wondering if you were ever going to open today!" So we just tend to ignore them and get on with our job.

Comment

Eh, I see this as a management suck; they didn't tell the newbie how to get in before the pub opened, and they didn't tell you guys to expect her.
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

And if she could hear what was said from inside the pub, they would have heard if she opened her mouth and said (shouted) something.
            She will have to lose some inhibitions if she want to survive working there.

Comment

Ha! Management fail really since they should have told you to expect her!
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

If I was that girl I would've said something, not just stand there and glare, expecting you to read my mind.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Management should have let you jnow someone new was starting, but she also should have said something like "I'm not a customer, I'm so and so, and manager told me to come at this time, for training, etc." I don't know why she didn't open her mouth and say why she was there!

Comment

Amusing behaviour from CRML & CW, but totally understandable. Manager/Newbie fails; either or both should have said something...
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

CRML: How was the new girl's first week on the job?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        CRML: How was the new girl's first week on the job?
                        Haha. Oh dear.

Well she's doing OK really. She's basically only a weekend employee, so that means all she has to worry about is making drinks and putting in orders. That was all going well, until a manager spelled her name incorrectly on the system.

She has a name that is almost unisex. I need to change the names for obvious reasons, but lets just imagine she is called Jaime. Well, we have someone who works at the pub who has the male equivilent of her name. Manager spelled both names the same.

She messed up an order, but the kitchen worker bitched about the wrong employee in front of her :S Kitchen employee thought she was bitching about the male, when she was bitching about the new girl to her face.

Things have settled down now. Most of us at the pub are very nice so we took her for drinks to break the ice and beg for her forgiveness.

Comment

Lol I've done that. A suspicious character shows up and I say with suspicion, "can I help you?" And he or she says, " I work here! I'm the new housekeeper/janitor" and I say " oh , ok" luckily they are understanding...:\
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                          X