X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hives ... AGAIN!

AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

<sigh>

We're going to shell out for a damn allergy test. I haven't eaten ANYTHING unusual, and we've been checking for that turmeric-based food colouring that's in the two different items that gave me hives the last three times.

In the interim, can I cry on someone's shoulder?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

My G/F has an allergy to something in Boost chocolate bars - the swelling in her lips/tongue is a little worrying!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

*Gentle cuddles* Argh! How irritating! Any chance of getting it through Medicare? The only one that I've had was done at the hospital as a part of the battery of tests before my eventual diagnosis, and so the cost was covered.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Hugs...good luck tracking down what it is!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Mishi:

Our GP (family doctor, for those who don't use the term) knows our financial situation quite well. If it's possible to squeeze it through medicare, she will find a way. And if she can't, our mental health nurse will try.

Besides, when she hears that I have hives AGAIN; if Medicare doesn't cover the allergy tests, Anna's mother will insist on seeing that it gets done even if she pays for it. (I only wish my parents would do that. )

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Here, Seshat. Cry away.

So sorry to hear it; hope you feel better soon.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've broken out in hives when I was severely stressed; happened within hours. Any stress in your life? Oh, you can get some relief from that by washing with generic selson blue, then putting on something with aloe; it really soothes.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I'm so sorry, hives are a bitch to deal with.
                Run into orange/citrus blossoms recently? That's a surprising new hives cause for me and a few friends. Would have been wonderful to know before I pruned the dratted things. Or Balsamic vinegar, had a recent reaction to some on salad and never have before or possibly the chlorine in your tap water has been increased - that's the big hives and dermatitis cause in my house. Tap water should not be white.
                Hope you find the cause soon.

Comment

I hope you get relief soon. As for cause it could be anything. I get them just from extreme changes in temperature. I can go from a Heated house out into the cold outside in winter and will break out. Same from cold ac to hot outside in summer. Luckily I live in Florida and the winter isn't too bad. In the summer I just try to stay indoors.

Comment

I'm really glad that you have awesome medical people and that Anna's mum is wonderful! *hugs* Have the hives gone yet or are they still hanging around?

Don't worry, you're not the only one with less-than steller parents and it's great that you have a mummy-figure that is a darling. *more hugs*
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I collected a few more, but they're easing. I upped my antihistamine dose for a few days.

I have baths with a substance called 'pinetarsal' - it's a derivative of pine tar, apparently, and yes, it does a good job of easing the itch. Between baths, I'll put a little on a cotton ball and we'll dab each hive.
                      (And yes, we consulted with a pharmacist. In fact, we simply showed the pharmacist the hives, told him the doctor's diagnosis & had him check my list-o-meds, and he went to the 'soothes itches' shelf and chose it for us.)

My life is pretty much always stressful (if only from pain), but I did have a set of minor stresses hit all at once and become one big uberstress. So if it's not a new allergen or a seasonal effect, it could well be that.

And thank you all - and yes, Anna's mom is a godsend.

Comment

Working...
                      X