This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting off the Handicapped in Line

I was at the grocery store and I walk with a cane due to a severe back injury. A cashier opened her register just to help me and as I was going over as fast as I could, this D-bag of a yuppie cut me off and went in front of me. So I started talking loudly. "What was so important that you had to cut off the crippled girl? You must feel like a real man now don't you? I see that you can walk perfectly fine while you are hurrying out of the store with your purchase!"
    I can be a bitch, but hey, don't cut off the crippled girl!
    I guess "some people are more important than others".
    ~Lauren~

Since the cashier opened her register to help you in particular, what a shame she couldn't tell the Yuppie, "Sorry, sir, the lady is ahead of you" ... and make him wait until you got there and finished your transaction. And you could've made it a nicely long, drawn-out one while you chatted with the cashier about how nice she was to help you out ... and the weather ... and the upcoming Olympics ...

Comment

If I had been the other cashier, that's what I'd have done. We were supposed to help the next in line, not the idiot that decided that last place wasn't good enough.

We don't give out medals for who gets what position at the register, folks... only if you're an ass or not! (Oh, don't I wish!)
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'd like to see what kind of medal the asses would get

(although I'm now imagining Cutter John running over the guy's foot )

Comment

we get cut off all the time. people just dont seem to notice or care they've just cut off a child in a wheelchair.

took my child to town on the local bus on monday (no school). we walked to the bus stop around the corner from our house and sat down.

a minute later a woman ran around the corner and then the bus arrived. i stood right where thebus stops to let wheelies on and the woman pushed in front of me to get on first.

the odd thing was she got off 2 stops later at the local shop which was less than 3 minutes walk from the stop she got on. waste of money

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Since the cashier opened her register to help you in particular, what a shame she couldn't tell the Yuppie, "Sorry, sir, the lady is ahead of you" ... and make him wait until you got there and finished your transaction. And you could've made it a nicely long, drawn-out one while you chatted with the cashier about how nice she was to help you out ... and the weather ... and the upcoming Olympics ...
            A person who's petty enough to butt in front of a handicapped person in a checkout line, is probably also petty enough to make a complaint if asked to step aside so the handicapped person can go first.

It's just like item limits in express lanes. The cashier probably desperately wants to tell off the person in the line with a heaping cart full of items, but doing so will probably get her/him in trouble.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate, was the yuppie in question in line ahead of you when the other register opened? Or did he just happen to walk up as it opened? I have "cut" in front of people, accidentally or not, when I spot registers opening. If someone THEN leaves a line and approaches that register and I happen to get there first just because I'm closer - the cashier has the obligation to say, "oops, sorry, I called them over just now, could you wait a moment?" I wouldn't object to that, because I DID just accidentally, unknowingly, cut in line. If the cashier says nothing, how am I supposed to know if I did or didn't? Sure, unknowingly being rude doesn't make it LESS rude, but it makes it somewhat understandable. We're not mind readers. The sign over the register doesn't say "Next customer: SAWfan" (though it would be nice if it did!!) so it's entirely possible he didn't MEAN to cut you off.

Of course, if he was in line with you and heard/saw the cashier call you over, then yeah, he should righteously burn in the fires of eHell. :P

Comment

Quoth sevendaysky View Post
                Just to play devil's advocate, was the yuppie in question in line ahead of you when the other register opened? Or did he just happen to walk up as it opened? I have "cut" in front of people, accidentally or not, when I spot registers opening. If someone THEN leaves a line and approaches that register and I happen to get there first just because I'm closer - the cashier has the obligation to say, "oops, sorry, I called them over just now, could you wait a moment?" I wouldn't object to that, because I DID just accidentally, unknowingly, cut in line. If the cashier says nothing, how am I supposed to know if I did or didn't? Sure, unknowingly being rude doesn't make it LESS rude, but it makes it somewhat understandable. We're not mind readers. The sign over the register doesn't say "Next customer: SAWfan" (though it would be nice if it did!!) so it's entirely possible he didn't MEAN to cut you off.

Of course, if he was in line with you and heard/saw the cashier call you over, then yeah, he should righteously burn in the fires of eHell. :P
                I assumed due to the "cut me off" word choice he did know that the register was opened for her and raced over there to jump in before her.

Even then though, if I was at the store and I was walking to a lane and saw a handicapped person heading for the same lane (especially if it was the OP who was obviously trying to book it as quickly as she was able to do safely), I'd stand to the side and let the handicapped person go ahead of me.

I am fortunate enough to have two able legs that will support my weight unassisted, I think I can manage to wait an extra 5 minutes for the handicapped person to get their transaction done and get out of there. Canes tend to be rough on the shoulder that they are supporting too, so standing for periods of time with one can cause some serious discomfort if not all out pain.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                X