This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job, Very Unsure

I'm going in for a final interview at a business nearby. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hired, and I've already put a lot of time, money, and effort into this position. However, after I'd gone through two interviews, I found out that the job is paid mainly by commission (if you don't make enough, they pay you minimum wage). I'd be working on the phones, but wouldn't be selling anything - I'd mainly make money by getting "leads" for colleges. (People saying they might be interested in going back to school.)

I've also found a ton of negative reviews about the company, and even some saying it's a scam company. I've also found positive reviews, and the company's facebook page has a bunch of comments from their current employees. I don't know what to think and who to believe, and now I'm nervous because:

1. The company has my information (including my SSN, since you have to give that when seriously applying for a job).
    2. I was really hoping to get this job, because I thought it would offer me a good career.
    3. I'm desperate for money, and don't know if I'll do well on a commission-based payment system.

Has anyone else worked a similar job where you get paid by commission?

Edit:

I've decided not to go with the company. I found a local news video where an ex-employee (who did the same job I was going to do) talked about how it's all a scam. Yeah, not good.

The problem is I gave them my SSN already. I don't think they can legally do anything with it. I don't know if I should go down there and demand my information back. I don't know if they put it in their system or not.

Follow-up:

It was a simple thing to go in and get my information back. Thankfully, I had remembered incorrectly and hadn't actually given them my SSN. I feel much better now. I'll never do that again.
    Last edited by Moosenogger; 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM.

I was going to suggest checking their BBB report.

You might still do so if you're feeling curious.

Sorry it didn't work out, but it's better to do your homework and not get involved than to get involved and get screwed.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Companies like what you described will always have both extremes on the reviews. Some people are good at that. Others are not. Some people will make a mint. Other will make minimum.

If you don't think you are good at that type of work, turning it down is the better choice.

Asking for your SSN back won't do any good. What has been seen, can't be unseen.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        I was going to suggest checking their BBB report.

You might still do so if you're feeling curious.

Sorry it didn't work out, but it's better to do your homework and not get involved than to get involved and get screwed.

^-.-^
        I usually do my homework, but for some reason this time I was too excited about getting an interview to even think about it. Lesson learned, I guess.

Checking the BBB report won't do much. This company is the newest in a long line of relatively scammy companies. Their current BBB report is fine, but the companies from the past had terrible scores.

Quoth csquared View Post
        Asking for your SSN back won't do any good. What has been seen, can't be unseen.
        True, but I'm still going to go in person and ask for my paperwork back. The worst they can do is say, "No" or "It's already in the system."

Comment

Working...
        X