This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I never take phone calls.

This is a phone call I took at work towards the end of tonight's shift.

Me: Electronics.
    Caller: Uh, yeah, do you have Gears of War 3 for the Wii or DS?
    Me: No, it was never released for those systems.
    Caller: What about on the DS?
    Me: No, it never came out for that.
    Caller: Okay, how about... Halo Reach on the Wii?
    Me: No, that's an XBox-exclusive title.
    Caller: Oh. What about on the DS?
    Me: It's not on any Nintendo systems.
    Caller: Okay, um... Do you have any Zhu Zhu Pets games on the Wii?
    Me: Let me go check. *leave and return* There aren't any Zhu Zhu Pet games on the Wii, but we have Zhu Zhu Pets one and two on the DS for $15 each.
    Caller: Which one is... 'Wanantoo'?
    Me: *pause* ...Zhu Zhu Pets and Zhu Zhu Pets 2. Both on the DS. That's all I have.
    Caller: Oh. What about Zhu Zhu Pets Wild Bunch?
    Me: Just One and Two.
    Caller: Oh. Kay. One more. Do you have... Grand... Theft... I don't know how to say that.
    Me: Grand Theft Auto? We have Grand Theft Auto 4 plus two Episodes on the XBox and PS3.
    Caller: How about on the Wii?
    Me: It's not a Nintendo title.
    Caller: Oh, okay. Thanks!
    Me: Have a good evening. *I hang up, fleeing this conversation as quickly as possible.*

I then learn that she'd called about 15 minutes prior and asked a coworker all the same questions.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

I work for a company that only sells video games.

When I was hired, I found out my district manager (at the time) wanted to know if Pokemon was important when she was hired.

The woman who replaced her? Insisted Mario came out on the 360. During an inventory.

Comment

Had some calls a few nights ago at the pizza shop.
      From a private number of course.
      Sounded like I was talking to Gollum.

Couldnt understand what they were saying really, but a couple times they slipped and talked normally.

Comment

Many moons ago during the height of the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, I was in Toys R Us and overheard a woman asking a clerk where the copies of Super Mario for Genesis were. Of course, back then it wasn't as easy to research these things, but it ws all my 11-year old self could do not to laugh in her face.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I wonder how many of those people sent angry letters to the Ford Motor Company because when they bought their car, the dealer refused to install OnStar.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sadly, I've known a few people who can't find their car once it's towed because they don't know what the make is.

I've been in this business for a long time and I can assure you sir, there are no Honda Camrys on this lot, nor any other lot on the planet.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Oh, the car thing...You'd be surprised how many people place an ad to sell their car and don't know what model it is...they might know it's a Ford, for example, but they don't know the model (I've even had people insist their car doesn't have a model name...just the make).

I still recall the first time I took an ad for a Lexus. I'd never heard of it (years and years ago, it was ) and asked how it was spelled. The man didn't know and said in a very sarcastic tone, "What am I supposed to do, go outside and look at the car?!"

I said that would be helpful, yes.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I was in my early 20's, I was aware of what games were on what platform, which at the time was either Sega Genesis or SNES. I got out of console games , but was surprised years later to see Sonic on non-Genesis platforms. I can see it from the parent's point of view, but we know a lot of them don't do their homework before shopping.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post
                  Had some calls a few nights ago at the pizza shop. Sounded like I was talking to Gollum.
                  Someone wanted his precious pizza.
                  Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                    Caller: Uh, yeah, do you have Gears of War 3 for the Wii or DS?
                    Caller: Oh, okay. Thanks!

I can NOT believe this didn't end with "Do you have BattleToads?"

Comment

Ohhh lord, not the Battletoads!

I've encountered many SCs like the lady in the post during my time at games stores, but never that rapid fire.

The release of the Wii seemed to magnify the problem. Many of the major titles (Assassins Creed, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, Grand Theft Auto) never came out for the Wii. Call of Duty did, but in a rather staggered and odd order (Call of Duty 3 came out first, followed by Call of Duty: World at War. The year AFTER that Modern Warfare aka Call of Duty 4 came out for the Wii. Modern Warfare 2 never did at all but Modern Warfare 3 did. Extremely confusing).

So I get a lot of catbutt faces from people who are shocked to discover many of the "A" games just aren't on the Wii.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        I still recall the first time I took an ad for a Lexus. I'd never heard of it (years and years ago, it was ) and asked how it was spelled. The man didn't know and said in a very sarcastic tone, "What am I supposed to do, go outside and look at the car?!"
                        There's a disclaimer in the local "auto trader" on their submission form. That they'll print your ad EXACTLY as you send it in. If you advertize a "Catalack" for sale, that's what they'll print. (and have ) Along with the occasional Honda Corolla.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Worse for me were the people who insisted some software was available for their computer model because a friend or cousin who may not even live in the same country told them so!

And it was never a work-a-like program so the customer would insist Microsoft-Office for Linux was available and refused being pointed to Open-Office.

The latest version AutoCad on the PC was also on the Mac (They rarely were in sync with versions).

Or worse Microsoft-Word was available for the C64 - I kid you not!

Games was another person, but since we in the past handled computers from Commodore, Apple, Texas Instruments, Panasonic (when it was not a true IBM clone), IBM and surrounding stores also handle Atari, Coleco computers. Add in the game machines also available and customers without their kids to guide them were totally lost on what ran with what.

Even today, you still need to know more than PC vs Mac - since the speed and type of CPU, amount of RAM, Drive space, Video card speed/memory all still matter if you want the latest and greatest games.
                          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-30-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X