Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Lantean Moderator

Adding to the above....we have seen a few posts recently where one member has directly asked another where they work. "Do you work at Wal-Mart in [Specific Town]?"

This hasn't happened enough that I'd call it a trend, but I want to nip this in the bud.

Do NOT make these inquiries on the open forums. That will only provide a keyword that someone at that company's home office can search for and find.

It's also specifically against the Site Rules to post the personal information of another member (or a customer, for that matter).

RIP Plaidman.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Diner Darlin'

When you have to start worrying about if your online habits are going to influence your employment status then it's like being in the twilight zone.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 AM
Elective

you'd be surprised what can happen sometimes.

one one of my other message boards an infamously banned member received his infamous ban because he got in a fight with another member... and then proceeded to contact the other member's boss in an attempt to get him fired.

heck even over at PFB there was one letter that was pretty much the same thing - someone got in a fight on facebook and wrote a complaint to the other person's boss demanding they punish the employee.

Last edited by PepperElf; 12-11-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Who knows WHAT I do!

Quote:
Quoth Dave1982 View Post
a few posts recently where one member has directly asked another where they work. "
whew! Thought I'd been guilty of this back near Black Friday, but just checked and I'm cool.

I would like to add to the personal information "Watch Out For" list. If you are posting pictures, make sure to strip the EXIF data. Some cameras (and iPhones for sure, and several others no doubt), include extremely accurate latitude and longitude information with the photos.

A good explanation and links to a couple of Windows tools is here.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Girl Thursday

I've actually specifically turned off the feature on my own phone that includes location data. I cannot think of a reason why it would be useful and way too many where it could be a problem.

^-.-^

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 AM
I need a life

That's why I deliberately use false information (for example, the Peterbilt of Natural Selection has never seen the inside of a PACCAR factory) where it could be personally identifying.

BTW, PepperElf, is your sig the URL for your personal website?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Chairman of the Board

While I'm pretty sure I'm not guilty of this myself, it's always a good idea to be reminded of this so we can make a more conscious effort to respect others.

I might was tempted to post that the Swamp is located at 123 Fake Street. I could post that, but I won't.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Elective

Quote:
Quoth Mr Hero View Post
While I'm pretty sure I'm not guilty of this myself, it's always a good idea to be reminded of this so we can make a more conscious effort to respect others.

I might was tempted to post that the Swamp is located at 123 Fake Street. I could post that, but I won't.
Indeed that's a good point.

Or say if someone obscures their place of work... Say using "43 72 61 70 70 79 20 43 6f 6d 70 61 6e 79" - which is the hex code for "Crappy Company".

Telling them "Good job at obscuring 'Crappy Company'!" kinda defeats the purpose of using code in the first place. If they wanted to publicly state where they worked, they'd have done so.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Lantean Moderator

Bumping this up as a reminder.

RIP Plaidman.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Lunatic posing as normal!

Please note the slight adjustment to the Site Rules regarding privacy. See the bolded part below:
Quote:
C. Forum Guidelines

1. Don't Give Out Personal Information
In order to register on these forums, we require an email address. This is so we can verify your account status in case of a lost password, illegal access to your account, etc. Your email address may also be used by the board staff to contact you on issues that require your attention. Please note that ONLY mods and admins have access to your email address, and under no circumstances whatsoever will they disclose it to anyone else. Other members of the board do not have your contact information, unless you provide it to them on your own. Whether or not to share personal information such as your email address, your AIM, your ICQ, your name, your city, your picture, etc., is YOUR decision and YOUR responsibility, so please be careful. We cannot be held accountable for any problems that result from your giving out this information. For instance if you post you picture understand that someone may recognize you. (Due to the nature of this site, we recommend that you give out as little as possible.) By the same token, do not give out the private information of anyone else - be they fellow forumers, SCs, or whatever. This includes publicly asking another member where they work, or publicly posting or attempting to guess where they work. It's none of your business!