This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky telco sales guy….

This happened yesterday. My mom told me that my local telco called me and asked to speak to me about a bundle deal that can save me a lot of money over my current cable ISP. I told my mom the deal they have promised is probably some crappy speed like 3.0 megs or something like that. She said that the salesguy said it was 12megs or something and to just “hear him out.”

Now keep in mind that on my current ISP I can speed test at around 20megs consistently. Sometimes it can even hit 30megs.

So while I’m surfing the phones rings. It was the telco salesguy. This is part of the conversation. I know these people have a job to do, but come on....

SG: Salesguy.

Me: I heard from my mother that you can save me over a thousand a year by bundling your services. Is that with the 12meg package?

SG: Well that is up to a thousand. The one that has that savings is the basic package.

Me: What is the speed with the basic package?

SG: 3.0mbps. You do qualify for 12megs.

SLD’s note: Being that I do DSL support, qualifying for a speed and being able to get it reliably are two different things. Plus, last I checked their regular DSL only goes up to 6megs, to get the 12megs you have to get the version that works with their TV service. Last I looked, I can’t get it where I am.

Me: See, I watch a lot of hi-def video, and download a lot of large files. 3megs is just too slow. It would be like going from a Corvette Z06 to a Sonic.

SG: You sound like you’re into cars.

Me: Yes I am. All my life in fact.

SG: So let me ask you this. Can both cars go 65?

Me: Uh, yeah?

SG: Then why bother paying extra for the Corvette if you can only go 65 with it on public roads anyway?

Me: Because it’s not just about the speed limit. You buy a Corvette because you want something that’s nicer that the appliance that people buy just to go A to B. You buy a Corvette because it doesn’t have to struggle to get to 65mph. You buy a Corvette because you can take it to the dragstrip and not be laughed at. In this case, I have my current ISP because I can easily watch hi-def videos without buffering, and if there is buffering it’s very short. Plus, in the same time it takes to download 1 large file on your service, I could be done with that file plus 3-6 more. That’s why I pay extra for the Corvette so to speak.

SG: Yeah but our DSL is a dedicated line, on cable you’re part of a big shared pool so the more people on it, your speed drops like a rock.

Me: I’ve never had my service “drop like a rock.” And DSL is not exactly dedicated. I do DSL tech support so I’m not blind to how this stuff works. You still put me on the DSLAM and BRAS that’s shared with many other people. Once they hit at or near capacity or if they get oversubscribed, my service will slow at peak times. And to be honest, due to the type of people in this area once that happens you’ll deem it not cost effective to add new DSLAMs, meaning I’ll just have to tolerate it when the service slows down.

SLD’s note: The type of people in my area are mostly seniors, most probably don’t even own a computer so if I’m an ISP why bother spending $$$$ to upgrade an area like that?

SG: Well I can get a price for the 12meg service for you....

Me: No thanks. At this point, it’s not worth changing my email address for a service that not going to be as fast as what I currently have, even at that speed. As besides, it’s not like I consider my current service expensive, for the stuff I need it for I’m fine with how much it cost.

SG: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me: Nope. You have a good day.

Let's just say I don't think the telco is going to be calling in again any time soon.

Not when it sounds like the potential customer knows more than the sales agent.

Comment

You handled that really well!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Damn, this takes me back. A mate of mine got taken for a ride when he bought a 'performance vehicle' from a shyster, but he was a convincing one at first.

We chatted to other people about this guy. His MO was to try and work out how much money his potential marks had while boasting about his own prowess in the financial department.

He met his match with M.

M is a great guy from the south of Africa. The shyster started to ask him how big his TV was and then started to spin a yarn about how he flew a private plane.

"Really?" asked M. "How big?"

"Oh, er, reasonable, nothing huge," said shyster.

"Oh, that's likely to be brand A, B, or C," said M, having been a commercial pilot.

You can see where this is going.

"Er, brand A..."

"Nice planes! Was it an X, Y, or Z?"

"Er, the last one..."

"Bloody hell. That's the jet with room for twelve executives? That's an expensive bit of kit."

"Well, I sort of own it with three other guys and we share it..."

"Where do you fly?"

"Er, from airports to airports..."

His worst nightmare - someone who knew what he was bullshitting about.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
        X