Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towing Tidbits, Milder Suck in Smaller Sizes, Perfect for Those On-the-Go!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    And when I went to unlock it, I discovered that the DOUCHEBAG ASSHOLE who had parked next to me had somehow managed to wind their cable lock through MY bike as well as theirs, effectively locking me in.
    So much rage. This happened to me in college and I left a rather nasty note attached to their seat. Made me get home late. At least I didn't work off campus.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      I Hate Being Right All the Time

Anyway, I type in the plate number (which in a bad sign for her, I have committed to memory at this point) and it comes up with 3 unpaid tickets (And 12 others, but they're all paid, because we made her pay them the last 2 times she was towed in for delinquent tickets) and show it to my rookie: "See? One more ticket and we get her"

"And you're sure she'll eventually get another?"

"Only a matter of time, in fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't by the end of the week"

"Really, that soon?"

"Yep"

That was a Tuesday.

The car was towed the following Sunday night.
      What would go through your head? For real - what kind of person doesn't learn by the third time at the very extreme latest?

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
        If there was a sign to tell me it had been actually taken by people who are allowed to take it because I've been an idiot and not read the signs properly (something which, I must confess, has never actually happened to me - the towing not the sign reading) it would be far less stressful and I would be much less inclined to bite anyone's head off, even Arga's.
        My wife & I watched a car getting towed off the street (no meter ticket in the window, very strict area) and she asked me why they don't do something like this. My thoughts are that it's almost impossible to place a notice somewhere it will remain unmolested and actually get the attention of the towee - let's be honest, if they didn't see the signs warning that they're gonna get towed, why would they notice a sign letting them know their car's been removed?

Still, this story had a happy ending - we needed a parking space, so I happily waited & took this one when it was empty. As we walked away, we passed a business we're both fans of & spotted a help wanted sign... My wife's 3 month probation finishes next week
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

In Japan, they leave chalk writing on the tarmac where the car was parked. Apparently they work in teams, so they can finish the job very fast - the writing is done by the time the car is fully winched up!

Comment

I still remember the time in college when, despite the signs warning that the lot was only for customers of the shopping center, I parked there to go to a class, as I often did, figuring "No problem." Until one day I came out of class to find....no car.

My first thought: "Holy crap! My car's been stolen!"

My second thought: "Holy crap! I hope my car's been towed!"

About the only time you ever have THAT phrase pass through your head, as the alternative is far, far worse.

On the other end of things, one time I was parked perfectly legally, but the city had to get to a water main for some reason, and had to get to it beneath the exact spot where my car was towed. Thankfully, the cop on hand looked up my plate and found my information and called my cell phone. Even more thankfully, I had just gotten off work, so I didn't ignore the call. And even MORE thankfully, I was only about a block or two away, so I said, "I'll be right there!" and took off in a mad dash. Got there, got in my truck, saluted the cop, drove off, and let the work commence. Everyone ended up happy that day! (They would have had to have towed my truck otherwise, to get to the problematic water main.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              On the other end of things, one time I was parked perfectly legally, but the city had to get to a water main for some reason, and had to get to it beneath the exact spot where my car was towed. Thankfully, the cop on hand looked up my plate and found my information and called my cell phone. Even more thankfully, I had just gotten off work, so I didn't ignore the call. And even MORE thankfully, I was only about a block or two away, so I said, "I'll be right there!" and took off in a mad dash. Got there, got in my truck, saluted the cop, drove off, and let the work commence. Everyone ended up happy that day! (They would have had to have towed my truck otherwise, to get to the problematic water main.)
              Your experience wasn't your fault, of course, but my favourite similar example is still the photo I've seen online somewhere, where some idiot parked right beside a fire hydrant. So when the firemen needed to get to that hydrant to, ya know, hook up a hose to put out a fire? They simply broke out windows in both sides of the car and ran the hose through. And I've always hoped the city didn't cave to a threatened law suit and pay to fix his windows (or if they did, the tickets he got for parking there far exceeded the cost of the windows).

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                Apparently there is a maximum word length on this board. Who knew?
                That's an enforced line break so that you can't 'break' the forum by posting too wide a string of text.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                Your experience wasn't your fault, of course, but my favourite similar example is still the photo I've seen online somewhere, where some idiot parked right beside a fire hydrant.
                There's actually a site or two devoted to those pics, people pull that crap often enough. My fave is when it's some really expensive car that's going to cost a crap-ton to get repaired from all the water damage.

I've had only one car towed that I didn't request, and I was just as happy that it had happened. The car in question was old, required more work than it was worth to get running, and would have required us paying someone else to get rid of it. The apartment complex we were in had a rule about cars with expired registrations that they didn't really enforce, but I suspect that since bums had taken up forcing the back window down (loose mechanics) so they could sleep in the back of the station wagon, they decided to enforce it this time. We only knew what happened because the security guys told us when we were back there looking at the empty spot that was our parking. We had a good laugh over it. These are the same security guys that actually came up to our apartment and warned us that our next car was going to be towed for leaking in the spot (we didn't drive it much, and it apparently picked up a gas leak to go with the oil leak), so we could move it to the street where they didn't have any jurisdiction.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  Your experience wasn't your fault, of course, but my favourite similar example is still the photo I've seen online somewhere, where some idiot parked right beside a fire hydrant.
                  Yeah, familiar with those pics, but the major difference is, of course, that I was parked legally, whereas parking next to a hydrant is definitely anything but.

Still A Customer."

Comment

as a former towing operator, you'd be surprised at what your average to truck can pick up, usually at least equal in size to the wrecker, (and for a carrier, as long as all 4 wheels fit on the bed)..
                    We had to get the property owners signature (this was generally for abandoned vehicles) then drop a copy of the tow order to the police department, then go back and pick up the vehicle

Illegally parked we could hook up as soon as the property owned called us, and then I believe notified the police after we had removed it

I much preferred service calls and towing breakdowns or wrecks
                    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      ...had somehow managed to wind their cable lock through MY bike as well as theirs, effectively locking me in. As I don't own bolt-cutters, and my time was running tight...
                      I think I would have been tempted to reposition MY lock to exactly the same position as theirs.
                      Of course, you then run the risk of them being a complete arse and trashing your bike, if they're too stupid to realise that theirs can be trashed too.

Comment

Trashed, or moved, and I wouldn't remember their bike from anyone else's, as it was rather generic.

Also, and far more importantly, I am not nearly that much of a douchebag to do that, tempting as it may be.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Also, and far more importantly, I am not nearly that much of a douchebag to do that, tempting as it may be.
                          Masking tape labels?
                          "Your bike"
                          "not your bike"
                          "your lock, on not your bike"
                          "why?"
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                          X