This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collected Hotel Tales

Just some bits from the hotel I used to work at. I've got a CO-CW post to come and a long MiM post that probably needs a read through first.

No I will not lower the rate

So, Wales is full, you’ve decided to come across the bridge and invade me. Well there was a spy in your camp, we knew of your plans and have increased our rate. So has almost every other hotel in the city – ok so some weren’t aware and waited until the last minute to jack up their rates but they’ll learn – and you will not find a cheap room anywhere.

Stop asking and do NOT tell me that PedExia and the like are selling rooms for £59. They aren’t. Trust me, I set those rates buddy. I still have my job, therefore I know they aren’t.

Also, it’s not bloody horses, it’s the bloody golf. Stop trying to be smart.

Corporate rates

You do NOT get your rates all the bloody time. Nope, it says so on the contract. Stop pitching a fit over it.

Pre payment

Yes we require PRE payment for an ADVANCE purchase rate. No you can’t pay on the day. Fuckwit.

My name

It’s NOT Grace. I don’t know how you get Grace from my name. Chris, well it’s close in that it starts with the same letter but… still no. On this note, why are almost all my travel agents called Katie, it’s freaking me out a bit. Loads of Sam’s and Aaron’s too.

Non paying no shows

You sir, have a special place reserved in hell. I HATE that I have to chase you for payment of three rooms because you “forgot” to turn up despite me calling you to make sure you hadn’t triple booked. Over three hundred quid I have to explain to my boss.

Non paying guests

Night Manager, I could have killed you, I was so tempted to. Also the guest, this applies to you. Eight nights and you walk out without paying. Now guests just walking out with their cases on check out day are completely normal. We take pre auths at check in to cover this… do you hear me NM? Why did you NOT take a card? Asshole.

And guest… you have stayed before, and you now refuse to speak to the reception manager on the phone, then on third call give her a card that declines and are back to refusing to answer us.

However, you have forgotten the cardinal rule, do NOT fuck with reservations. I am a bitch when needed. I had to reign in the bitch to speak to the travel agent he booked with, who was very apologetic, directed me to and I quote myself “oh fuck, the no show team”.

I’m sure they’re lovely however they have 30ish days to get back to us with payment. That can plays havoc with my stats so I’m not their biggest fan, but I wouldn’t do their job (and hey it’s not their fault).

So off goes a fax, I was going to refuse to take anymore bookings until he paid. I had a back up plan to call one of his higher ups if this didn't work.

Oh and he did pay, without me going beyond the travel agent.

Room Size

They are small as fuck. I wouldn’t suggest bringing a cricket let alone a cat to swing. Don’t whinge that we can’t fit 3 – 7 people in a room. Actually, which hotel in my city can fit 7 people in there?

Yes you can read… now process what you regurgitated.

We loaded a new promotion online and not even ten minutes later we get a call from Captain sarky pants who wants to book on the new promo rate but doesn’t understand the booking system on our website. That would be pick a city, pick the dates, number of people and click book..

Anyway it’s been up for ten minutes, and myself and CW have no idea about it. None at all. He then proceeds to have a go at CW and read off the website – which we’ve opened and told him to book the damn thing online – that he’ll be helped efficiently if he calls. Well to be honest you were dude, we said go book online it’ll be quicker. You could have been fucking booked by now but no… we have to put you on hold and find fuck all in the system, then speak to our manager who then takes your booking – as he’s the only one with any knowledge of the new promo. He does state that we won’t know about rates if he’s just loaded them online in the past ten minutes we need to set shit up on the in house system.
    "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

I get that all the time-people call and say I'm looking at your website and then want me to make their reservation over the phone. I don't understand why they don't book on line and leave me out of it.
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

Quoth CloserToSane View Post

So, Wales is full, you’ve decided to come across the bridge and invade me.
      Love the comment. We used to make jokes about the entrance fee into Wales when crossing the Severn (lived near St. David's for 4 1/2 years). Ok, now I'm homesick....

Gotta admit, in the 9 years we lived in the UK, and the loads of traveling we did, I could probably count the actual hotels we stayed at on one hand - we usually went with B&Bs & self-catering. Mainly because we could stretch our travel dollars farther, and because it was simply more of a change to what we were used to in the US. We had realistic expectations, so we almost always were quite happy and had a great time wherever we went.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Just some bits from the hotel I used to work at.
        Stop asking and do NOT tell me that PedExia and the like are selling rooms for £59. They aren’t. Trust me, I set those rates buddy. I still have my job, therefore I know they aren’t.
        Simple solution to this. I tell my guests that rate is only available if you book on that website.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          Simple solution to this. I tell my guests that rate is only available if you book on that website.
          Same here. If they book through me, it's $XX. If they see something else online and are able to book it online, they can have the rate they say they are seeing.

I hate the people who pull up our website, and then call us. I have a lobby full of guests. You have the website right there. Book it! I have no problem with them calling after they book it to make sure we got it, but that's because that only takes about five seconds, and doesn't tie up my system as badly.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I did often suggest that they try and book it online, but the rates were always the same as I had (company policy) so they weren't going to bully me into "matching" - which is what I'm sure they were aiming for. With the expception of a sale that was site specific and we were never mnetioned by name on those.

Merriweather, as soon as Wales had an event we knew we'd be full. I quite liked being so close for that reason - and personally it's fun to jump on the train and go shopping in Cardiff.
            "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Merriweather, as soon as Wales had an event we knew we'd be full. I quite liked being so close for that reason - and personally it's fun to jump on the train and go shopping in Cardiff.
              Cardiff had wonderful shopping - all those Victorian malls. And it had the most interesting, distinct castle walls I've ever seen.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                Same here. If they book through me, it's $XX. If they see something else online and are able to book it online, they can have the rate they say they are seeing.
                I may not be in the hotel business but I can identify with this solidly. "But I saw this ticket online for..." Well then, you should have booked it!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  Love the comment. We used to make jokes about the entrance fee into Wales when crossing the Severn (lived near St. David's for 4 1/2 years).
                  Great, now I've got that sequence from Torchwood Miracle Day stuck in my head.
                  Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Working...
                  X