This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to give you freebies!

This is sort of a self-sighting, where I was a random person that freaked a couple out. I didn't mean to.

We went to the theatre after dinner, and I got a coupon for a free popcorn that was good only for the day. Well, having just eaten, we weren't going to use it. So while waiting in line at concessions to get a drink, I was looking around for anyone who might want it. The lobby was fairly empty.

A couple finally popped up in line behind us.

Me: "Excuse me, are you guys getting popcorn?"
    Guy: "Uh..."
    Girl:
    Me: "I have a coupon for free popcorn and don't want it. You can have it if you want."
    Guy: "...erm...."
    Girl: "Uh..." *finally gets it* "Oh, thank you!"

The girl got it, but I think the guy just thought I was a freak for talking to a total stranger and giving them something. I was just trying to not let the coupon go to waste...I created an awkward social moment instead.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Don't feel bad. I'm sure their brief moment of paranoia passed pretty quickly once they got the coupon, LOL. And no I'm not saying they're greedy or anything, but some people are surprised and more than a little alarmed to be "accosted" by somebody they don't know. Once they hear a reasonable reason, they're usually fine.

A few weeks ago I paid for a two-hour parking stub when I had to go to City Hall for something. Was there for maybe 45 minutes. So I hung around my car for about 15 minutes waiting for somebody else to come by so I could pass along my ticket with its remaining hour on it.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      This is sort of a self-sighting, where I was a random person that freaked a couple out. I didn't mean to.

We went to the theatre after dinner, and I got a coupon for a free popcorn that was good only for the day. Well, having just eaten, we weren't going to use it. So while waiting in line at concessions to get a drink, I was looking around for anyone who might want it. The lobby was fairly empty.

A couple finally popped up in line behind us.

Me: "Excuse me, are you guys getting popcorn?"
      Guy: "Uh..."
      Girl:
      Me: "I have a coupon for free popcorn and don't want it. You can have it if you want."
      Guy: "...erm...."
      Girl: "Uh..." *finally gets it* "Oh, thank you!"

The girl got it, but I think the guy just thought I was a freak for talking to a total stranger and giving them something. I was just trying to not let the coupon go to waste...I created an awkward social moment instead.

I do that all the time at craft stores, which are known for great coupons that only last one day or so - why let it go to waste?

I even did it once or twice at an amusement park, we'd gotten some awesome discount coupons from some store, and didn't have as many people in our party as discount coupons, so looked around for someone with a few kids, figured they could probably use the discount

The nice smile & thank yous I've gotten are well worth the "what the heck are you talking to me for?" looks I get at first. And ever so much more rewarding than tossing them in the trash. Not to mention we can all use a few karma points.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't call a nice gesture like that suck by any means. I've both done this and had it done to me before. People are weird... but then I also suppose the number of people who do things just to be nice is decreasing every year too. So I can kinda understand their initial reaction.

I mean when you asked if they were getting popcorn, its not like you were leering, visibly drooling, or looking ravenous were you? haha

Comment

I hate to say it, but if it had been me you'd given the freebies to, my brain would have BSOD'd. After a minute to reboot, I'd have been grateful. It's unusual to see people care enough to share in my neck of the woods that I haven't formulated an response to it! I'll stumble out a "Thank you," but that's as far as it's gotten. The look of gratitude is more like deer in the headlights, sadly.

And yes, I've freaked people out by doing nice things, like passing on freebie coupons or such. I'm much better at giving than receiving!
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Well, when trapped in a line and accosted by some stranger, the first two thoughts (before any processing of words) are: *!Panhandler!* and *!Has Gucci for $10!*
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I do that all the time. A couple years ago my friend and I had a coupon for Busch Gardens, good for up to 6 tickets. adn we had two, so we tried to give the cashier one, but she wasn't allowed to give them out so my friend went back in line, and gave it to the next people who were very happy!

I've also done that in the laundry room at my complex; the dryers are 1.39 for 60 minutes. But each 10 minute increment is .25. So if I'm done, and there's still time on the dryer, I'll offer it to someone else. I know for me, 5 minutes left, and I only have to add another 20, so it saves me a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X