Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We had a remodel; can we remodel the customers' attitudes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had a remodel; can we remodel the customers' attitudes?

I'm working the cafe today. My coworker and I were working a line down. I signed on to the 2nd register and called over the next lady when a semi-regular practically sprinted to my register and barked "popcorn" at me. I assumed he was barking an order at me, as he didn't say any other words, and I'd just asked the lady what she'd like. I told him she was next, as we had a line going. He nastily answered, "I was just ASKING." So I answered that we did have it. Mind you the machine was behind me. Anyway, my coworker and the whole line was like as he stormed off. I don't need this; I'm working a split today, open to close.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Always a great start to the day.

At the Mart of K I had a lot of elderly people cut straight to the front of the line at Electronics. Some of them might have had alzheimers but the rest were definitely doing it on purpose and expecting to be patted on the head for it.

Comment

I do detest when people try & cut "just to ask"... It's still an imposition on those in the line, so join it or jog on!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I'm working the cafe today. My coworker and I were working a line down. I signed on to the 2nd register and called over the next lady when a semi-regular practically sprinted to my register and barked "popcorn" at me.
        "Underpants!"

"Cheese balls!"

"Lemon zester!"

"(insert item of your choice here)!"
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          We had a remodel; can we remodel the customers' attitudes?
          I wish. I'm sure we'll be dealing with a lot of that when we get the new store up and running.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If you could think of it (which I know I couldn't) at the time the best response would be "Corn of a variety with hard kernels that swell up and burst open when heated"
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              If you could think of it (which I know I couldn't) at the time the best response would be "Corn of a variety with hard kernels that swell up and burst open when heated"
              Or start singing or whistling this tune: http://youtu.be/OK5q1bU59Ic
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                I do detest when people try & cut "just to ask"... It's still an imposition on those in the line, so join it or jog on!
                I can see a few exceptions, such as a quick "which way to the ladie's room" when the line is a dozen people long and directions are needed urgently
                or even a quick check to make sure that the line there is the line you need.

But for the most party, yeah, even when they say a "quick question" it usually isn't.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Thanks. You all are makin' me laugh. Yeah, I get quick questions. It's just that they aren't one-word outbursts.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    OH I'm SORRY where were looking for "WHAT IS corn of a variety with hard kernels that swell up and burst open when heated." You will receive no points this round.
                    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I doubt he was actually asking, I think he just said that when he got called out on cutting, but that's just how it comes off as to me. Maybe it's a double entendre he's been practicing. Good to see it's not working!

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      I can see a few exceptions, such as a quick "which way to the ladie's room" when the line is a dozen people long and directions are needed urgently
                      or even a quick check to make sure that the line there is the line you need.

But for the most party, yeah, even when they say a "quick question" it usually isn't.
                      I have yet to have anyone come up to me and say "BATHROOM!".. and if they did I'd probably still be confused. But yes, a few exceptions don't hurt. Those are just the people that actually wait in line before asking.

The most common question I get is often while I'm busy helping someone else: Where are your batteries? Reach your hand out a few inches and you'll literally touch them. How did you find me but not the thing that's right infront of you?

Comment

If people "just have a quick question", then they shouldn't mind going to the information desk for help (which many stores have), or just asking a roaming employee who isn't helping anyone else at the moment >_>
                        Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                        OH I'm SORRY where were looking for "WHAT IS corn of a variety...." You will receive no points this round.
                        Suck it, Trebek!
                        Last edited by EricKei; 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Carsomyr
                          I doubt he was actually asking, I think he just said that when he got called out on cutting, but that's just how it comes off as to me. Maybe it's a double entendre he's been practicing. Good to see it's not working!

I have yet to have anyone come up to me and say "BATHROOM!".. and if they did I'd probably still be confused. But yes, a few exceptions don't hurt. Those are just the people that actually wait in line before asking.

The most common question I get is often while I'm busy helping someone else: Where are your batteries? Reach your hand out a few inches and you'll literally touch them. How did you find me but not the thing that's right infront of you?
                          Well, you're assuming they're actually looking around.

What I do in those cases is very politely say "They're directly in front of you."

Comment

I believe the appropriate response to an SC giving a loud one-word "command" is to respond with "FISHSTICKS!"...

Comment

Quoth Carsomyr

I get questions like this all the time. I tend to just blankly stare at the person for a second or two (like I have to think about it) and then point behind them or behind me (whichever is the case). But then I'm a bit jaded. And at 25.
                              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
                              X