Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really? You were NEVER told that if software is opened you can't return it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? You were NEVER told that if software is opened you can't return it?

Regardless of the HUGE signs everywhere in the store, including the software section, which states that very fact?

I stopped into BestBuy this morning to use some of my reward points (good thing about having a fire..purchases earn you rewards).

I was standing at the customer service counter, and an older couple came up and asked to return some software, which had been opened. The customer service rep told them that once software is opened, it cannot be returned, only exchanged. Cue CB face...

"We were NEVER told that! When did that start! We are old people, we need our money, how come we can't return it!"

Rep explained again that there were signs everywhere, and even a statement on their receipt..if the software is opened, then you can't return. Customer states that software was opened so that they could see if they needed it, since they couldn't tell from the package. (It was security software for a computer).

Rep explains again that it is an issue because of copyright, and it cannot be returned. Cue screaming at rep..and demanding a manager.

At this point I turned around, pointed at the sign, pointed at their receipt, and said "Just how can you state that you didn't know when it is everywhere in the store?"

Cue customer leaving.
    Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Rep explained again that there were signs everywhere, and even a statement on their receipt..if the software is opened, then you can't return. Customer states that software was opened so that they could see if they needed it, since they couldn't tell from the package. (It was security software for a computer).
    Well first off, it's on the box - what kinds of computers it'll be compatible with.

Plus you can always ... i dunno, look it up too?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      Well first off, it's on the box - what kinds of computers it'll be compatible with.

Plus you can always ... i dunno, look it up too?
      Or, you know, ask an employee? They might not be computer geniuses over there, but most would be able to find the information on the box for the old, nasty geezers.

I hate that excuse. "I'm old! On social security! I need my money!"
      "Well then, you should've been more careful in spending it."
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        How about on the SEAL that you had to break to get to the DVD?

I hope they read the part about becoming Bill Gate's towel boy.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Same thing - different stuff -

"What do you mean I can't return it after I have:

Cut the lumber
          Cut the pipe
          Tinted the paint
          Dropped it down a stair well
          Let it rust on the lawn for 3 years
          Glued and grouted the tile onto the wall/floor
          Eaten all of it...a week ago
          Worn it, sweated in it, stained it with wine.
          Painted it
          Stapled it
          Soldered it to make it fit but it still doesn't
          Microwaved an egg inside of it
          Filled it with the wrong kind of gas.
          Removed the part you needed from a packaged kit, and you want credit for the rest of the stuff in the packaged kit that you didn't need.
          Siezed the engine because you never added oil
          Didn't use a grounded outlet

Or because you smoked it but now you feel funny.

Comment

Or better yet, all of that on the one product.

Comment

My shoe store is very liberal with returns. If you have your receipt, you can return it. I guess so many people are used to stricter return policies, because they will be returning an obviously worn pair of shoes and insist they they did not wear them. I don't care* ... I just tell the register that they are not resellable, and put them with the other damaged items to send out.

*The only one I did care about was a man who would buy shoes for his grandchildren, then when they outgrew them he would return them for a bigger size. He spread it out over several store locations. When we realized what was going on, we got him put on a list of people banned from doing refunds!

Comment

What language is it where "copyright" and "hygiene" are fancy words for "Please, argue harder and louder and tell me you haven't used it when you clearly have"?

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                I hate that excuse. "I'm old! On social security! I need my money!"
                "Well then, you should've been more careful in spending it."
                This gets to me. Whenever I hear any 'I can't afford to waste it!' excuse, it's talking about something that's oh so incredibly necessary, such as.. a pair of earrings, or a giant novelty pen covered in feathers. Yes, you can't afford to waste it which is why you already did, right?

Comment

Quoth kansasgal View Post
                  "We were NEVER told that! When did that start!
                  About 15 years ago, I think?
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X