This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional courtesy? (long)

Hi all! I am mostly a lurker but actually have a story! I don't know if you consider patient visitors customers but I do.

Here's the short background: I have a part time/PRN job as a front desk receptionist/switchboard at a Small Inpatient Rehab hospital, or SIR for short. Think ortho and neuro rehab, not drug and alcohol. We are owned by For-Profit Chain, or FPC. To further confuse matters we are on the edge of the campus of a Large University Medical Center, or LUMC, and the MDs at our facility have privileges at both SIR and LUMC. In fact, part of our name includes the name of LUMC, but we are a separate facility and have been so for close to 20 years. Our employee badges are different. I have worked at SIR for nine years off and on. I also have a full time job at LUMC and have worked there for just short of 15 years).

And here's the story with just a little more background along the way as needed: I was covering someone's shift last Friday night. Our visiting hours end at 8pm and our front doors automatically lock at that time. We front desk folks stay until 9pm on week nights--I don't know why, but that's how it goes. In that hour we have to get up to let in any visitors. There aren't many; the few we get are family members staying overnight and occasional late visitors. When we get the occasional late visitors we have to call up to the unit to make sure it's OK with the nurses.

At 8:30 a male and female pair arrive so I let them in the front door. They are dressed very casually but are wearing badges from LUMC that indicate that they are Resident Physicians (Resident badges are a light color, Physicians with full Faculty appointment have badges that are the same color only darker).

Side note here: If you aren't familiar with the difference between a Resident Physician and a regular old MD/Physician basically the Residency is what you do right after you've graduated from Med School but before you can go into full practice. Maybe someone else can put it more eloquently than I have, but think Scrubs in the first couple of seasons.

I let them know that I will have to call the nurses station because it is a half hour after visiting hours. The female resident (FR) tells me that if it helps they work at LUMC. I tell them that our visiting hours end at 8 regardless of where you work. In hindsight, that was not very polite and I shouldn't have said it.

I'm on hold for a bit while the medical receptionist gets the appropriate clearance from the nurses. She says it's ok and I tell the two to sign in to our guest register and take a visitor pass. This is habit. We ask all our visitors to sign in and take a visitor pass. Some don't. Whatever. Life continues either way. So then this happens

Male Resident (MR): Why do we have to take a visitor pass? We're both physicians at LUMC
    Me: We are not owned by LUMC. We are a separate facility owned by FPC. We prefer that you wear them to identify yourself as a visitor.
    MR: But we have our physician badges on.
    Me: Are you here as the patient's physician? (note: this happens all the time, and the physicians are often very nice about it)
    MR: No, just as a friend.
    Me: Then we prefer that you wear a visitor tag so the staff knows, but if it's going to cause a problem then you don't have to wear one (not the best way to phrase that. i was tired so my filter was slipping)

This continues back and forth. The guy is clearly itching for a fight, but i'm not going to give it to him and continue to tell him that it's our policy but he doesn't have to wear one. No voices are raised. The female resident is telling him repeatedly to stop to drop the subject and then...

MR: It just seems like you should extend professional courtesy to LUMC physicians

At this point I decided that this would go on all night and it was time to end it.

Me: Would you like me to page our nursing supervisor?
    MR: No, I don't want to wait.
    Me: Then Monday you can call our Administrator and talk to her about your concerns about our visitor policy.

He said that he would. Thirty minutes later when I'm preparing to leave they return and he asks who he should ask for when he calls. I took a card from our desk and wrote down our Administrator's name for him. I then shoot off a quick email to my supervisor, the head of HR and let her know. She works closely with our Administrator and they both think i'm pretty great for how I've handled tough situations in the past.

It burns me because we've had Chairs, Directors, Administrators, and other VIPs from LUMC and not one of them has complained about having to wear a visitor pass and not one has given me a tiny bit of attitude.

I'm covering for someone else tonight so we'll see if he calls and what my Admin has to say about it when I see her.

Seems like he had a bit of superiority complex that, as an almost doctor, he should not be questioned by the, heaven forbid, desk person! Sorry you had to deal with him, hope he doesn't cause any trouble. Even I can understand that your employment at one facility is not going to follow you into another separately owned facility, especially off the clock!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Residents, especially first and second years, can be very tetchy. My sister is a second year resident at a large urban hospital, and has SO many stories about the bitchiness she encounters. She's naturally a very sweet and respectful person, but if push comes to shove, she'll stand up for herself. That hasn't endeared her to either the chief rez or the head of her department.

EX: She was working PICU overnights, and had an infant code. This is a *very* rare occurrence, and my sister was the only doc on the ward that night. She called the code, started CPR, and saved the baby (yay sister!). The next day, her boss stalked up to her in front of all the first years (interns), and all the second years during rounds, and told her she called the wrong code, and not to do it again. Not a word of congratulations, not a single pat on the back. Just "you screwed up, don't do that."

Sister was, understandably, upset. So she checked with the nurses to ask if she called the code correctly, and was told that yes, she did, and she did an awesome job of it. Vindication! We have no idea why her boss was so adamant that she was WRONG SO WRONG, and there was never an apology. But neither did she officially call the actions into question with a reprimand, so who knows what was going on.

If my sister were a less well-balanced person, she probably would have turned around and taken that out on her interns. The hospital hierarchy really puts all the crap on the lowest rung. Looks like that's what happened to you, criddle.

Comment

Man I wish I had been that female resident. I would've told him to shut his mouth and put on the damn pass. Only much more viciously.

I think your statement of, "Our policy is that everyone who does not work here is asked to wear a pass, no matter where you work," wasn't rude at all. It was just a statement of fact. Don't let SC mind-set rub off on you where if you're stating a fact of "No" or "This is how it works" you're being rude.

You're not.

Good job not blowing up in his face, I know I would've. I would've blown up with a big smile on my face and the sweetest tone possible.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

KiaKat--your sister is amazing. Sorry she got that treatment from the boss.

I have a co-worker who is married to the Director in charge of Residents and Fellows. As in ALL of the Residents and Fellows in LUMC. Each department has its own resident coordinator for departmental matters but all the residents ultimately report to this guy. I casually mentioned the story above to co-worker this morning. A phone call was made to Director spouse and I was told that if I wanted to make an official report that the Director will address this with him and with his resident coordinator. Director said that he was way out of line with his behavior. I declined for the time being. We'll see if anything comes up with our Administrator tonight.

Comment

New doctor syndrome. Ego is getting a little too big for him.

I'd say you handled it well.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Criddle - yeah. My sister is pretty spectacular. And damned good at being a doctor. I'd totally trust her as a paediatrician for any kidlets of mine. There's something to be said for the D.O. over the M.D. training. Holistic empathy.

Comment

Quoth criddle View Post
                Hi all! I am mostly a lurker but actually have a story! I don't know if you consider patient visitors customers but I do.
                to ! This is exactly the place for this story. A lot of our members vent about bad providers, but Sickbay was also created for the members who work in health care to tell their SC stories. And we do consider sucky patients or visitors to be SCs!

Quoth criddle View Post
                At 8:30 a male and female pair arrive so I let them in the front door. They are dressed very casually but are wearing badges from LUMC that indicate that they are Resident Physicians (Resident badges are a light color, Physicians with full Faculty appointment have badges that are the same color only darker).
                <snip>
                I let them know that I will have to call the nurses station because it is a half hour after visiting hours. The female resident (FR) tells me that if it helps they work at LUMC. I tell them that our visiting hours end at 8 regardless of where you work. In hindsight, that was not very polite and I shouldn't have said it.
                I'll agree with that statement only if your tone was impolite. The content was not impolite, only the tone--potentially (since I was not there I don't know what you sounded like)

Quoth criddle View Post
                Male Resident (MR): Why do we have to take a visitor pass? We're both physicians at LUMC
                Me: We are not owned by LUMC. We are a separate facility owned by FPC. We prefer that you wear them to identify yourself as a visitor.
                MR: But we have our physician badges on.
                Me: Are you here as the patient's physician? (note: this happens all the time, and the physicians are often very nice about it)
                MR: No, just as a friend.
                Me: Then we prefer that you wear a visitor tag so the staff knows, but if it's going to cause a problem then you don't have to wear one
                Corrected that for you. Never mince words. It is never appropriate to wear your name badge into a facility if you are not employed there and on official business of your employer (LUMC).

I run into this situation all the time with my nursing students. Sometimes they want to visit a patient after clinic is over. I am absolutely fine with this, but the rule is, they have to take off their student ID and the school vest they wear that identifies them as nursing students.

Quoth criddle View Post
                This continues back and forth. The guy is clearly itching for a fight, but i'm not going to give it to him and continue to tell him that it's our policy but he doesn't have to wear one. No voices are raised. The female resident is telling him repeatedly to stop to drop the subject and then...

MR: It just seems like you should extend professional courtesy to LUMC physicians
                Ugh. The infamous "professional courtesy." Well, professional courtesy does not entitle you to be a DICK to other facility employees, especially a facility where you do not work. It does not entitle you to jump the line in the ER waiting room (I've had docs demand this), though the staff are welcome to offer. When you are a guest in someone else's house, you follow their rules. Period.

At this point I decided that this would go on all night and it was time to end it.

Quoth criddle View Post
                I then shoot off a quick email to my supervisor, the head of HR and let her know. She works closely with our Administrator and they both think i'm pretty great for how I've handled tough situations in the past.

I'm covering for someone else tonight so we'll see if he calls and what my Admin has to say about it when I see her.
                I hope your Admin has a spine. Since this is a Resident, and Residents are actually pretty low on the food chain in LUMC's, she probably will.

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                Residents, especially first and second years, can be very tetchy.
                Some get a big chip on their shoulder, and the nurses have to put them in their place. The real dicks put it right back on when they get close to finishing their residency, though, and usually spend their entire careers being dicks to the nursing staff because they can.

However, hospitals are fast losing tolerance for abusive physicians. I reported a physician who threw an IV pole at me a few years back, and it did not go over well with administration.

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                EX: She was working PICU overnights, and had an infant code. This is a *very* rare occurrence, and my sister was the only doc on the ward that night. She called the code, started CPR, and saved the baby (yay sister!). The next day, her boss stalked up to her in front of all the first years (interns), and all the second years during rounds, and told her she called the wrong code, and not to do it again. Not a word of congratulations, not a single pat on the back. Just "you screwed up, don't do that."
                Sis did exactly the right thing, and unfortunately has a dick jackass of a teacher who likes to push around his students and teaches by intimidation; a common failing of medical education.

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                Criddle - yeah. My sister is pretty spectacular. And damned good at being a doctor. I'd totally trust her as a paediatrician for any kidlets of mine. There's something to be said for the D.O. over the M.D. training. Holistic empathy.
                You know it's funny . . . the best docs I ever worked with were almost all DO's.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well, the boring follow up is that if he called the Admin neither she nor my boss said a word about it to me when I saw them Monday and yesterday.

Panacea, our Admin has a spine of steel. She's a great lady in general and does what she can to make sure everything runs smoothly. I think she's covered every non-licensed job in our facility.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                    Um the what over the MD?
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      Um the what over the MD?
                      Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine over Doctor of Medicine.

Comment

Two different schools of thought regarding medical treatment. Both licensed physicians, just a different set of letters after their names. D.O is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, which requires an extra course of study in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine - think legit chiropracty done by people who actually know all the intricacies of nerves and other systems in the body. M.D. is Medical Doctor, the traditional allopathic medicine that we're used to.

Personally I prefer osteopaths. They're a bit more holistic and attentive to how bodily systems can screw with or help each other, and not necessarily as willing to throw pharmocology at a chronic problem to fix it.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                          Two different schools of thought regarding medical treatment. Both licensed physicians, just a different set of letters after their names. D.O is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, which requires an extra course of study in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine - think legit chiropracty done by people who actually know all the intricacies of nerves and other systems in the body. M.D. is Medical Doctor, the traditional allopathic medicine that we're used to.
                          Ah, sounds like my chiropractor, who will explain any problems to me (back, neck, shoulder and hips) from a medical perspective.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Similar, though an Osteopath has a full medical background, and they don't do the sudden adjustments that chiropractors do. Their adjustments are smoother, and focused more on gradual release rather than sudden (causes less trauma to the body).

Comment

Working...
                            X