This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Pizza With Attitude

While driving the security car around the road in front of the mall, I saw a woman and her teenaged daughter walking right down the middle of the lane of oncoming traffic in front of our *al *art. (they’d started to cross, then realized they wanted to be several rows further down, so just continued down the middle of the road). However, they had a LINE of cars creeping behind them, and were totally oblivious. I called over to them “excuse me ladies, could you please move to one side of the road or the other, you’re blocking traffic!” The mother, to her credit, looked back and started, then darted back to the sidewalk. Her daughter, however, darted to the opposite side, then followed her mother and almost became ‘frogger’ with the cars who could finally progress. The teen them began yelling at me “Whaaat!? We can walk in the street in New York if we want! Don’t you have anything better to do!?” At least her mother shushed her and they continued on their way, out of the way of traffic!

As far as I know, traffic in NY would obey the same laws of physics!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    The teen them began yelling at me “Whaaat!? We can walk in the street in New York if we want!
    I've visited New York City twice and never saw anyone walking in the street. The streets are packed with cars; they'd be run over in a heartbeat, if they could even move at all through the traffic. Maybe way out in the boonies in rural New York state, you could walk in the street, but not any place where there is active traffic at the time.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      As far as I know, traffic in NY would obey the same laws of physics!
      ...not to mention the laws of New York. IIRC NYC is one of the few places that actually enforce jaywalking laws regularly.
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

HAH.

Yes, in NYC, we tend to stand off the curb, and tend to dash across the street when there's enough room. BUT. We are incredibly aware of cars, and generally do our best to not step in front of them. Or walk in front of them. Or, yanno, walk down the middle of an aisle in a lot.

Comment

They might be thinking of Times Square where they shut down some of the streets during the prime times for people to walk around or set up the little street vendors on certain times of the week. Even then it's really only in Times Square that I can think of them doing this so their point is still almost completely invalid.

Comment

I agree with XCashier. I recently visited New York City and would be amazed if any native New Yorker brazenly walked down the middle of the street. I was worried just crossing the streets at.
            "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Only idiots do that.

It's amazing the older one lived long enough to reproduce.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X