This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't argue with me

So I'm off this week. This is a much needed vacation. Seeing as I am not planning on doing anything, I opted to schedule my car for it's inspection and to get some much needed work done - brakes, tires, etc.

To kill some time, we went to the local Panera to get some breakfast. Food was good, and I do like the ciabatta sandwich they have. The suck wasn't at Panera. No, the suck was with the dealership.

Something to note - the car is actually listed under DaDairyDruid's name because when I bought it he'd bought a car there previously and his name was still in the computer, and listed his name first on the bill of sale. Both our names are on the title, but I pay for it.

Anyway, the head mechanic or whoever is in charge of service, argues with me about the brakes. They are in need of replacement, as they squeal every time I brake. It's been 3 years since I bought the car and while I never got the brakes done as they were nearly new when I bought the car, it's about time to get them done.

Service Guy: You really don't need brakes, you've still got 15-20% left.
    Me: I would still like you to replace them.
    SG: Yes, but the back still has an even 15%
    Me: I would still like you to replace them.
    SG: Yes, but *starts arguing.*
    Me: Hold on a moment please * hand my cell over to DaDairyDruid* Would you please tell him what I just said about the brakes, he is not listening to me.

At this point DaDairyDruid takes over and lo and behold he has no issue telling this guy what I just told him.

All said and done it's about $1300 of repairs, stuff that has needed to be done, including an oil change. We figure that because DaDairyDruid's name is on the car, I apparently don't have a say for a car that I am personally paying on.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Or, could just be that some mechanics (like some computer salesmen) were caught up in a whirlwind a few decades ago and haven't managed to find their way truly into this century, and still feel that when it comes to cars & computers (and a few other subjects), they must speak to a male, and listen to a male, even if a female is saying exactly the same thing.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I have set more than on dealership straight about dealing with me, not my husband. He was busy getting his guys ready for a deployment, I am sitting here in the waiting room. I finally got to talk to the diesel mechanic who didn't care that I was female as after a few minutes he knew that I KNEW about the truck. It was in for new injectors and I even had the balance rates from before one went, had the date and place the engine was replaced, when the water pump was replaced, power steering pump, everything. He told me if there were any problems to just come right to the back shop and ask for him.

Comment

So...a car dealership is actually trying to talk you out of an expensive repair?

Hold on, I think I just saw a pig go whizzing by my window.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Presumably he was hoping you'd leave it until the pads had gone entirely, scoring the rotors & requiring a more expensive repair...
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            So...a car dealership is actually trying to talk you out of an expensive repair?

Hold on, I think I just saw a pig go whizzing by my window.
            Oh I wish I were making it up. I know what you mean, though.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
              Or, could just be that some mechanics (like some computer salesmen) were caught up in a whirlwind a few decades ago and haven't managed to find their way truly into this century, and still feel that when it comes to cars & computers (and a few other subjects), they must speak to a male, and listen to a male, even if a female is saying exactly the same thing.
              Honestly, I work in a whole shop of mostly guys and we've never had that problem.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                Some neighbours of mine went through this a few years back. The wife called up a local parts shop for some specific things, and she got what she thought were some rather steep prices. So her husband called back and asked for exactly the same things and got a quote for almost 50% less than what they offered his wife. He was less than amused, to put it mildly, and tore them a new one. Then bought the parts somewhere else.
                What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                X