This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBand / Dream Concert

I've had conversations with friends in the past that compared two similar singers or bands, and such conversations frequently diverged into a tangent about how cool it would be if those two worked together. So, today I figured I'd open up a Lounge thread about it.

Ground rules: If you're going to post, please explain your reasoning. While it might be fun to simply say, "Wouldn't it be awesome if we could have Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, and Buddy Holly together," that doesn't really advance the conversation or really expose other readers/posters/lurkers to musical ideas that they might not otherwise be fully aware of. So please explain a little bit about the people you're talking about, and show how they link together, why they might work together. Using dead musicians is completely fair game, as is using active bands but referring to a time when they were better than they are now.

So, with no further ado, I'll toss out my "SuperBand."

I'd like to see a collaboration between Deborah Harry, Pat Benatar, and Lita Ford.

These three are pretty much the unquestioned queens of hard rock / classic rock. Their voices and styles influenced many acts that came afterward, and they each showed the world that women could rock, each in their own way.

Deborah Harry, as the lead singer and frontman of Blondie, created quite a few hit songs. While her early works like Heart of Glass and The Tide is High betray her disco roots, she quickly evolved beyond that, with both hard-rocking songs like Call Me and experimental works like the proto-rap song, Rapture.

Pat Benatar showed the world that female singers weren't all about teenage-styled sighing over boys. She brought a more mature perspective, with many of her songs being about the pain that love can bring. Most famous for Love is a Battlefield, other songs like Hell is for Children, Promises in the Dark, and Hit Me With Your Best Shot also showed that she'd experienced some of the biggest heartbreaks possible, and yet soldiered on, battered but unbroken. And her song Invincible, aka the theme song for the movie, The Legend of Billie Jean, was an anthem for self-reliant women everywhere.

Lita Ford isn't as well-known as the other two, but one of her songs is one of the most famous "Heavy Metal" songs of all time - Close My Eyes Forever, a duet she wrote and sang with Ozzy Osborne. Many people misattribute the song to Ozzy, but it's entirely Lita's creation. Named the Queen of Heavy Metal (despite the fact that most of her work was technically hard rock, not heavy metal), she had two albums in her solo career before becoming the frontman and lead singer for The Runaways. Her other reasonably well-known songs include Back to the Cave and Kiss Me Deadly.

Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Nikki Minaj.

hear me out on this one.

If they are gathered into one place, we could promptly and quickly seal it off, and isolate them from the rest of the world, FOREVER.

WORLD PEACE. FREEDOM.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

But... I like Lady Gaga.

Ok, her lyrics only sometimes make any sense, but her music's cool.

Nikki Minaj, I'm not sure. I can't quite get past her weird outfits; I get the impression she knows she's not that great, so she goes for outrageous looks to get noticed, or something. But, as I said, I don't know anything about her music. *shrug*

Bieber... well... I hear he's actually an ok guy... for a teen pop star, anyway.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

For me, it would have to be Enter The Haggis and Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. Both bands take influences from many different styles of music (ETH's being everything from blues to ska to country and RCPM's being a lot of reggae, mariachi, and Americana) and combine them into a sound that is pretty unique and hard to really define.

At the same time, though, ETH still has a lot of Celtic influence despite their slow progression toward being more an indie folk/roots rock band, so it would be interesting to see how RCPM's sound fuses with bagpipes, Irish flutes, and fiddles.
        Last edited by firecat88; 08-22-2012, 04:48 AM.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Back in the '70s and '80s, it was fairly common in country music to have duets by male & female singers who were already well known as solo acts (e.g. Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn, George Jones/Tammy Wynette). I'd like to see Garth Brooks and Holly Dunn do a duet - if only to see what they'd name the act. After all, "Brooks & Dunn" is already taken.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I happen to have seen just that, in 1989, in Los Angeles.

Guns n' Roses were the Bad Boys of Rock in the late 80's and early 90's.
            Their predecessors were clearly the Rolling Stones, who were the Bad Boys of Rock in the Sixties and Seventies.
            And I got to see them on stage, one after the other, live and in person. With the added bonus of Living Color opening up the show.
            Quite simply the single best concert I've ever been to. And I've been to quite a few.

Also got to see Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow, two of my favorite female singers, perform together in Central Park in 1999. That was pretty awesome.

But who else would I like to see join forces? Hmmmm.....

Alanis Morissette and Avril Lavigne. Call it the Angry Chick Rock Tour. That would be fun!

Melissa Etheridge and Pat Benatar together would be just pure power. Maybe even, dare I say it, with Ann Wilson? Three of the most powerful female voices in rock, all belting it out together. Awesome sauce!

Can't really think of anything else that hasn't been done already (Journey and Styx, for example, who toured together for a while a few years ago) or that doesn't involve musicians that are no longer with us (how awesome would it have been to see Pink Floyd and The Doors collaborate on some wild shit?).

Quoth Nekojin View Post
            I'd like to see a collaboration between Deborah Harry, Pat Benatar, and Lita Ford.
            Actually, Pat Benatar and Blondie, Deborah Harry's band, toured together in 2009.

Quoth Nekojin View Post
            Most famous for Love is a Battlefield, other songs like Hell is for Children, Promises in the Dark, and Hit Me With Your Best Shot also showed that she'd experienced some of the biggest heartbreaks possible, and yet soldiered on, battered but unbroken.
            While Pat sang about a lot of things, not all of them were from personal experiences. She felt strongly about child abuse, for example, and clearly championed the cause, but never experienced abuse herself. (I just read her autobiography, and while her childhood wasn't perfect, it was far from abusive.) Also, she didn't write all her own songs, so a lot of what she was singing about wasn't her personal experience.

I don't want this to seem like I am devaluing Pat or her music. I am a HUGE Pat Benatar fan, so felt the need to set the record straight, or at least this part of it.

Quoth Nekojin View Post
            Lita Ford...had two albums in her solo career before becoming the frontman and lead singer for The Runaways.
            A few corrections: Ford was in the Runaways first (a band that also gave us Joan Jett), from 1975-1979, before embarking on her solo career. Her first solo album was released in 1983. And she's had 10 solo albums total.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Already happened. Face to Face tour. Unfortunately, neither of them are what they use to be.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I would love to see buddy holly and los lonely boys together...maybe with janis joplin and roy orbison....a texaspalooza!!!! All of these artists are awesome in their own right, but together? Would be awesome

Comment

The Beatles with Queen.

Freddie Mercury's matchless voice, and the sheer talent possessed by those two bands would blow the roof off any indoor venue.

Buddy Holly with The Beatles, because the Fab Four were very heavily influenced by Holly, and Buddy didn't live long enough to see his music become wildly popular. There are some recordings of The Beatles covering a few Holly tunes, but it would be much better to have all of them together on stage.

Art Garfunkel, Enya, and David Gilmour. Three beautiful, poetic voices blending together with crystal clarity.

Comment

Glad to see Art Garfunkel mentioned he's mostly forgotten these days. Always liked him. My Little Town is great.

Pat Benatar -- I read her auto biography too amazing story. Hell Is For Children is my favorite song of hers.

Lita Ford - meh don't like her but I kinda like the Runaways.

As for my grouping boy that's a tough one. I think it would be interesting to have Max Carl (Jack Mack and the Heart Attack and 38 Special) plus Glenn Frey (Eagles) together. They both do really well with that slightly bluesy detroit rock kinda sound, and can both sound great with horns in their music. They can both scream out rock and roll when they want to.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X