Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It malfunctioned before it was damaged....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It malfunctioned before it was damaged....

Hello folks. As I stated in my last thread, I'm a CSR for {Can you hear me now?}. I honestly should post more of the conversations that I have on a daily basis, but by the time I get home and read a few posts on here, I forget most of the conversations (and I'm not quite the literary genius as some of the members on here are, aka GK, Jester, Customersruinmylife). But this guy was just begging to be posted.

SC = SPESHUL snowflake
    Me = Wondering what deity I angered to deserve a fate like this
    Sup = Supervisor (who's awesome)

Me: *Opening Spiel* What can I help you with today?
    SC: Yeah I got a replacement device the other day because my old one won't power on anymore. When I went to take my old phone out of the case it fell and the screen cracked. I know if I sent it back I'd get a damaged device fee. How can I avoid that?

In all honesty, not a bad question. Educated enough to know he probably shouldn't send the damaged phone back. He got a point for that. But his reaction to the only option available earned him double plus uncool badside points.

Me: Well, sir, that is upsetting to hear that the device has been damaged. As for your question of avoiding the fee there is only one option. That option is to send back the replacement device we sent to you and to file an insurance claim on the damaged device.
    SC: WHAT????!!!!!!!!!eleventyrarglegarblerage
    SC: Now we both know that all you have to do is make some notes on the account and the fee will be waived when the warehouse people get the phone back. I used to run a repair shop for {Competitor-Other competitor merged corporation}. I know this system.
    Me: Well, sir, I'm not sure of policy in place at {Competitor-Other competitor merged corporation}, but this is {Can you hear me now?}. This is the only option we have for incidents like this.
    SC: *rant, rave, tries to say he's been in this business for 12+ years* You know what? I appreciate your stance on this, but I want a supervisor. I know they have more pull than Customer Service reps.

Oh buddy, you just opened a bad can of worms. Yes, sups do have more authority and can do a few more things than reps, but in situations like this, their hands are as tied as mine. Policy is policy, and the sups in my area of the call center actually back up the reps (YAY!!!)

Me: Okay sir. I will have to place you on a brief hold while I get that supervisor. I do feel the need to tell you that they will tell you the same thing I have stated as they have to follow this policy as well. *places on hold*

Sup arrives, and he's a really good one. He'll be as nice as can be, but he will back the rep up if the rep is right. If the rep is wrong, he'll let the rep know what policy is, but will be nice about it.

So I explain the situation and the sup takes my headset. At this point, all I can hear is the sup's side of the convo.

Sup: Hello, I'm C, the supervisor you requested to speak with.
    *pause as SC is talking*
    Sup: Well sir, the only option at this point is to return the replacement we sent to you, and file an insurance claim. (Wait a second, that sounds familiar! Deja Vu-like even)
    *pause*
    And the conversation went on for about 10-15 more minutes with Sup advising the customer of his only option. WORD FOR WORD.

Occasionally he would mute the mic and say stuff to me like "He's special isn't he" or "Wow, he just doesn't get it". The last time he muted the mic was around minute 14-15 when he said to me "I've put it as nicely as I can. Now it's time to be blunt." At which point he told the customer that to send the damaged device back would basically be fraud and he WOULD be charged a $299.99 damaged device fee.

Does SC finally realize he's not gonna win?

Look at the url at the top of your screen....

He asks to escalate to my sup's sup. Which means he'll have to wait 24-48 hours to receive a call back. Where he'll just be told the same option again....

To me, if I get told the exact same thing by both an employee AND that employee's supervisor, I'll just take that route. But we all know SC logic =/= sane logic.

The kicker was when he told my supervisor that the phone wouldn't be broken if it hadn't malfunctioned, because he wouldn't have had to take it out of the case to begin with...
    Your brain may not know what it is. Your brain may never figure out what it is. However, your heart knows, your heart always knows. --- Master Horkin from Brothers in Arms by Margaret Weis

Quoth Ledomar View Post
    The kicker was when he told my supervisor that the phone wouldn't be broken if it hadn't malfunctioned, because he wouldn't have had to take it out of the case to begin with...
    That reminds me of the time many years ago at Giants Stadium when several fans were busted for throwing snowballs at the officials, one of which was packed and thrown so hard that it injured a sideline worker.

The idiot who threw the ball said this afterwards: "All this would have been avoided if the snow wasn't there!"

Comment

You know, that conviction for assault could have been easily avoided if only that little old lady had given me her purse when I demanded it! It's not my fault she was unreasonable about it!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
        The idiot who threw the ball said this afterwards: "All this would have been avoided if the snow wasn't there!"
        to Mr Idiot: Alllrighty then -- by that logic, it also would not have happened if YOU were not here. Let's take some proactive measures to help with that going forward. SECURITY!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had several instances at Borg Sphere call center similar. Even had a couple straight up ask me to help them commit insurance fraud by 'backdating' the insurance feature.

Comment

I do that with customers as well at House of Crap. More often when it is to late to cancel an item. There is no way to unring that bell and stop the shipping process once it starts and when they want to take it up the chain I tell them I will do it, but their hands are tied as well.
            The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Damaged device fee is 300 bucks? That's enough to make me consider placing my phone on a pillow soft cloud and encase it in plexiglass so it never has a chance to break. Damn.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                Damaged device fee is 300 bucks? That's enough to make me consider placing my phone on a pillow soft cloud and encase it in plexiglass so it never has a chance to break. Damn.
                There's a better option:

Get an otter box.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

The "fee" is that they charge you full price for the device if you send it back as a factory defect, and there is user-end damage. Because, user-end damage is what INSURANCE is for, and there is a deductible involved with it. Otherwise, people who wanted a new phone would just break their old one and send it in for a replacement every few months.
                  "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                  -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                    The "fee" is that they charge you full price for the device if you send it back as a factory defect, and there is user-end damage. Because, user-end damage is what INSURANCE is for, and there is a deductible involved with it. Otherwise, people who wanted a new phone would just break their old one and send it in for a replacement every few months.
                    And as my boss found out........ after so many claims per year the insurance will drop your behind like a hot potato.

Comment

Closest thing I've found online to that would be the OtterBox.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                        after so many claims per year the insurance will drop your behind like a hot potato.
                        Yup. Keep in mind that insurance companies are not actually in the business of "insuring" people. Kinda like places that handle Rebate offers -- their job is to deny claims for any reason possible, and then to fulfill them only if they cannot do that.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You know, I hear a lot of horror stories about rebates, but I've had half a dozen of them and nary a problem.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Ledomar View Post
                            I'm a CSR for {Can you hear me now?}. I honestly should post more of the conversations that I have on a daily basis, but by the time I get home and read a few posts on here, I forget most of the conversations
                            You could probably remind yourself by reading this thread...

Comment

Working...
                            X