Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misinterpretable lyrics - is this a game?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misinterpretable lyrics - is this a game?

I'm listening to the radio & two songs in quick succession have had me pondering the lyrics. It's not just me, is it?

Shania Twain - Man! I feel like a Woman: I've always thought this line could have a double meaning...

Dina Carroll - Ain't No Man: this whole song could be taken two ways! I'm not sure I'd noticed it before, but so soon after the earlier song the idea was still in my mind.

Anyone got any other examples where the lyrics could mean something different - I don't mean misheard ones, but ones written with a possible double meaning.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Does it say something about me that after reading this question I immediately jumped up - went to my CD rack and plucked out my Rauncy Business: Hot Nuts and Lollypops CD? I very nearly had it playing until I realized that I have a houseful of contractors.
    However, there is nothing "possible" about the double meanings - everyone knew what the songs were really about - but since somehow they got past the radio censors (you couldn't have songs about sex at the time) they became popular.
    It has been a few years since I was really into the Blues, but I do remember thinking "they couldn't possibly have gotten away with this on the radio in the 30's!"
    ETA linky if you want to hear the songs (If It Don't Fit - Don't Force It is my fave):
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/raunch...s-mw0000262747
    Last edited by auntiem; 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      I'm listening to the radio & two songs in quick succession have had me pondering the lyrics. It's not just me, is it?

Shania Twain - Man! I feel like a Woman: I've always thought this line could have a double meaning...

Dina Carroll - Ain't No Man: this whole song could be taken two ways! I'm not sure I'd noticed it before, but so soon after the earlier song the idea was still in my mind.

Anyone got any other examples where the lyrics could mean something different - I don't mean misheard ones, but ones written with a possible double meaning.
      Heck, 3/4 of the songs from the 60's were that way, because the radio stations wouldn't play anything that actually said anything "controversial" straight out. There was even a Peter, Paul & Mary song that talked about having to put the meaning "between the lines"

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

*points to half the stuff written by Bob Dylan, the Eagles' "Hotel California", REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It"....*
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Silver Beaver - Saffire: The Uppity Blues Women

...it ain't about the Boy Scout award...

Re: airplay of risque old blues songs: Any airplay would have been on "race" stations, not stations "civilized" people listened to and would have been considered "proof" of their "degeneracy".
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
          X