This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could you NOT see me??

I drive a dodge ram 1500. It is not a small car.

I was driving down a straight way road that had a lane to my right and to my left was a double left turn lane that leads to several fast food places.

So of course, the little white car to my right thinks hey, food! Not HEY huge truck RIGHT next to me that I don't see!

I look over and see the white car start to try and get into the left lane but the only problem? I was blocking his path to get to the goddamn lane!

I screamed, honked and I had to react immediately and make a huge goddamn swerve to avoid this guy from smashing into me. Thank god there was no traffic coming the opposite way.

Dude, next time check the lane!!! How the hell did he not see me?? I almost thought about letting the fool hit me cuz I guarantee the damage would've been a lot worse to his car than mine. But alas I love my car and don't want any idiots hitting it!

I drive a tiny little Mits Mirage. It's a small sedan. I seldom have invisibility issues with it. I have noticed, though, that Hubby's old F250, which is a f***ing tank, does seem to be invisible quite often to other drivers. Perhaps the larger the vehicle, the more invisible it becomes?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      Perhaps the larger the vehicle, the more invisible it becomes?
      Anything that big must be a building?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yesterday I rented a beavertail to shift one of my classics as it had an engine failure, and while I can tow a trailer I had a lot of small roads to traverse & doing it in a 25ft truck was a better option than using a 40ft car&trailer combo.

I was amazed how many people seemed to think it was okay to pull out in front of me, or try to dart across the road... I don't get that many near misses per hour in any of my cars!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Don't you know? Big things are always moving slower than them and they have lots of time to beat it. It's the same logic they use when dodging in front of an oncoming train. I actually had someone say that when I got onsite to an incident. I was seeing how much damage was done to the engine and how to separate his car off the knuckle, which lucky for him had hit the passenger side. According to him, a train should not go that fast and he should have had lots of time to make it across the tracks. Yeah, 40mph is slow, but not that slow and the 5000 tons of cargo behind it don't help, and that was a small train.

I also drive a big black truck personally, and it's amazing how many people can't seem to see it on the road. Almost everyday driving to and from work, I have someone turn in front of me or try to merge into me. Especially at night when I have all my lights on and living in the country, I have a lot of lights. I actually turn lights off when I hit the city but leave them on outside the city to improve my chances of seeing the idiots.

Comment

It turns out that if you're used to judging the speed of small vehicles, a large one will appear to be moving more slowly than it really is. Trains are *big* even in comparison to large road vehicles, which themselves are that much bigger than cars. This wouldn't be such a problem if depth perception were distorted in the same way - but apparently binocular vision is accurate enough in that respect.

In principle, all level crossings should have lights and barriers to cope with that disconnect. That was originally the rule in Britain - with those classic white swinging gates "to ensure the railway is always fenced in", and crossing keepers who were told by signalmen when the gates had to be kept closed. Of course, barrier crossings are expensive, so it doesn't happen in the modern era.

Comment

I drive a Chrysler 5th Avenue. It's a big car (I call it a boat or a tank for a reason). I once had 3 people in 18 hours try to hit me. I was so *pissed*. How could they not see me?!?
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

If you really want to be invisible try driving either of these
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                  If you really want to be invisible try driving either of these
                  My dad is an EMT and works as a volunteer for the local rescue squad. He would agree and commiserate with you.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

some people just don't seem to give a fuck what's in their way. they just drive without looking.

Comment

After my tiny little Saturn Ion was totaled last year. I bought a Dodge Durango. It is without a doubt the largest vehicle I have ever owned. I LOVE it. However, I have had to learn to be a lot more aware of what is around me because I swear the damn thing has a cloaking devise. It seems like everyone wants to change lanes into me or pull out in front of me. My husband thought I was exaggerating until he drove it for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                      X