This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couponers (kind of long)

I close SCO 2-4 times a week and lately it hasn't been too busy, I think due to school starting back up and all that jazz. The store closes at 1 and the registers are all shut down at 11 and it's just the SCO attendant from 11-1. We can open a register if someone has WIC, which can't be done at SCO.

Recently, I've had this couple come in and buy a bunch of stuff in bulk that's on sale and then use a bunch of coupons. When they do this, they'll come in around 12ish and not get to SCO until almost 12:45. Then they have to scan in all their stuff and by then it's almost 1. Then I have to scan in all their coupons. The coupons are a huge hassle because more often than not, the coupons they have can only be scanned in at the register after I've taken control of it. When that's the case, the registers are really slow about picking up the coupons.

Well they came in Tuesday night. I didn't see them come in and right before they came up to SCO, the grocery manager came over and told me the store manager is putting a limit on how many coupons they can use. He failed to tell this couple that though, so I was the one that had to be the bad guy. I ended up calling the manager back up front to talk to them anyways. We let them use all their coupons one last time but were warned they couldn't do that anymore, and they needed to come in earlier. They regularly are not out of here until almost 15 to 20 minutes after 1 at the earliest.

Well tonight, I had a different family come in and buy a bunch of stuff that was on sale in bulk and use a lot of coupons as well. I hadn't seen this family before, so I wasn't sure if I should've turned their coupons down as well. I did tell them that after tonight, they may not be able to use that many coupons anymore. Towards the end, I saw my grocery manager and asked him and he said that was just a new general policy, I'm assuming because we've been getting a bunch of couponers. So I told the family and they seemed ok with it. They came up to the register earlier than the first couple, but they still weren't done until around 1:15ish.

I'm kinda glad management is coming down on how many coupons customers can use because it's frustrating dealing with all these coupons at self-checkout where it takes forever to scan in all the coupons, plus it's so late at night that when closing time comes, I just want to be able to go home. I know it's only 15 minutes, but at that time of night, I'm just ready to get off and go home.

is it a coupon limit in general, or just one for that late at night?

Comment

Are you able to just to straight to a regular cash with people that have a lot of coupons? SCO here is usually slow and that's with even just 10 items and no coupons. I can't imagine trying to assist a large order AND coupons on one.

Sometimes I buy in bulk with coupons and it never takes more than 5-10 minutes. Of course, I'm not extreme in any way so what I consider large may indeed be small lol.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        is it a coupon limit in general, or just one for that late at night?
        it's coupon limit in general. I don't think they'd enforce it though unless it's someone who has a whole bunch of coupons like these families.

Quoth Slayer View Post
        Are you able to just to straight to a regular cash with people that have a lot of coupons? SCO here is usually slow and that's with even just 10 items and no coupons. I can't imagine trying to assist a large order AND coupons on one.

Sometimes I buy in bulk with coupons and it never takes more than 5-10 minutes. Of course, I'm not extreme in any way so what I consider large may indeed be small lol.
        Well I would have taken the family last night to a regular register, but the mobile device that controls the machines isn't working so there would be a lot of back and forth between this family and other customers at SCO.

I'm thinking the store has had some issues getting all their money for these coupons, and so now they're restricting how many coupons they can use. Plus it might help get them out of the store by 1. I'm afraid they might try breaking the orders down into small orders though to try to use as many coupons as they can.

Comment

Ah, faulty work equipment. Always sucks.

Comment

it's coupon limit in general. I don't think they'd enforce it though unless it's someone who has a whole bunch of coupons like these families.
            Although I understand why... I can see that causing a lot of headaches if they notice that other customers aren't being held to the same rules.

I hope it doesn't cause you as much stress as I am imagining it might.

Comment

I don't mind couponers myself and I totally get saving money, but (1) they're coming in really late at night when it's just me and the stockers and not being done until after we close and (2) management is the one changing the policy.

For me the big thing is just that we close at 1 am and that's what time I'm scheduled to get off, so I don't want to have to be there any later than I have to be and in that way they're being kinda sucky.

I just think they need to come in sooner, even possibly while a floor supervisor or front end manager is on duty.
              Last edited by Dave1982; 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM. Reason: removed quote of now-deleted post

Comment

Who wants to bet against them coming this late at night in order to reduce/eliminate any argument from manglement over whether the coupons are acceptable or not? Anyone? Anyone...?
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Although it might be a bit of a hassle (but a great time-saver), go ahead and announce to all patrons entering after a certain time that coupons will not be accepted after (time). Either they should comprehend and continue shopping, and simply turn right around and walk out.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    Who wants to bet against them coming this late at night in order to reduce/eliminate any argument from management over whether the coupons are acceptable or not? Anyone? Anyone...?
                    I do think it's something along this line. I don't think they want to be told that we can't take that many coupons and figured if they came in late that I wouldn't say anything. I personally don't mind, so the couponers would be correct in that aspect, but I just don't want to be at work any later than I have to be.

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    Although it might be a bit of a hassle (but a great time-saver), go ahead and announce to all patrons entering after a certain time that coupons will not be accepted after (time). Either they should comprehend and continue shopping, and simply turn right around and walk out.
                    This is a good idea. I might talk to a supervisor or management and see if I can do this.

Comment

As a customer, I'd be pretty upset if coupons were limited across the board. That being said, it's perfectly understandable to set limits late at night on SCO. I remember our machines would scan one out of six coupons, which meant I'd manually deduct the coupons that didn't work. So if someone didn't buy a particular brand of shampoo that qualified for the coupon, I wouldn't notice because I'd be in a hurry overriding stuff. I can see SCs taking advantage.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                      X