This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that was odd

My treatment plan for a recent patient involved two screwdrivers, a mallet and some lubricant.

Oddly enough my training never covered such a scenario, nothing like a bit of problem solving in the evening!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

I'm guessing artificial limb maladjustment.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
      I'm seriously hoping so
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

That or seriously blocked sinuses (avoiding any other, even less savoury ideas).

Comment

well it's better than what I'm imagining.

[blank for ]one of my former navy coworkers said he had to help hold someone down while the docs removed the man's STD blockage. with a mallet[/unblank for ]

Comment

Also known as "Saturday Night" around here.
            Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM.
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
              Good guess, but not right I'm afraid!

Wheelchair (solid) tire replacing - having to use the screwdrivers as tire irons & a mallet to knock the wheel into the tire.

Certainly an interesting evening!
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Very tame compared to what I expected, lol
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

PepperElf, it's ironic what you posted, since sounding rods were the treatment for urinary blockage from STDs (especially Gonorrhea) in the pre-antibiotic era. They're still used, although for sexual purposes (link above is to a sex-advice site, but when I did a search on "sounding rods" it was the one with the best description).
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    PepperElf, it's ironic what you posted, since sounding rods were the treatment for urinary blockage from STDs (especially Gonorrhea) in the pre-antibiotic era. They're still used, although for sexual purposes (link above is to a sex-advice site, but when I did a search on "sounding rods" it was the one with the best description).
                    omg omg omg omg

I'm so sorry I clicked on that now.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                      omg omg omg omg

I'm so sorry I clicked on that now.
                      They were also used once upon a time for stretching a narrowed urethra. I was 4 years old at the time. I really don't recommend it unless you actually *like* pain. I now have serious panic attacks at even the word "catheter."
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

owowowowow. *crosses legs*

damn. Also how the hell did I find out about this practice on two competley different sites today?

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          They were also used once upon a time for stretching a narrowed urethra. I was 4 years old at the time. I really don't recommend it unless you actually *like* pain. I now have serious panic attacks at even the word "catheter."
                          I needed a catheter insertion for a procedure a few years back.

Well, apparently my urethra is difficult to find, and difficult to insert even a child-size catheter into....

... yeah. Ow. Ended up with both the nurse and the doctor making multiple attempts.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Well, apparently my urethra is difficult to find, and difficult to insert even a child-size catheter into....

... yeah. Ow. Ended up with both the nurse and the doctor making multiple attempts.

oh hell

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              My treatment plan for a recent patient involved two screwdrivers, a mallet and some lubricant.

Oddly enough my training never covered such a scenario, nothing like a bit of problem solving in the evening!
                              I once used an electric powered ring cutter to remove a Plasti Bell ring from a newborn who had been circumcised, when the ring did not fall off on its own after 7 days and was constricting the glans of the penis.

The ER doctor had tried multiple other instruments and couldn't get through the ring. He didn't know how to use the ring cutter, I did. So he helped hold the baby while I did the work under his supervision.

Baby did fine; a small superficial abraision on the penis but no serious injury from what was probably the most nerve wracking procedure I've ever performed as a nurse! (note: there's a metal safety guard that comes with the cutter that is used to protect the finger during the ring cutting; it was used to protect the penis and worked fine).

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I have some of those! They are antiques from the 19th century and were what was used prior to the invention of the Foley catheter to drain a bladder due to urinary retention.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              They're still used. Urologists also use dilators of other types to do this (I have a set of those as well).

Quoth Seshat View Post

Next time, ask the nurse to put you in a slight Trendelenberg position (head down, back straight, feet up). Gravity may pull the urethra into better view. Not every one knows that trick.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X