X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-items or less fail.

This burns me.

It's 10PM at night. I just got off work. I want to go home. There's 3 registers at Mart of Wal open. 2-of them are express 20-items or less, one is a regular check-out. I have 4-items.

Guess what?

Both 20-item or less registers are being monopolized by women with heaping cart-fulls of stuff. There's not enough room on the express carousel for the bags, and the cashiers are having a hard time finding room for stuff as they scan. I end-up going to the one other register to stand in-line with the half-dozen other people who also only had a handful of items! We all grumbled together, but since I was still in uniform I wasn't going to call the ladies out.

I did learn that the mart of wal employees have NO POWER to tell someone with a cart full that they can't go through the express line. I asked didn't that defeat the purpose of it? They agreed it did, but that's policy. I promised them next time I would say something, uniform or no.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

reader's digest anecdote: person on line behind an obvious college student in an express lane with a wagon piled high, says "Hey, are you from [COLLEGE_A] and can't read, or from [COLLEGE_B] and can't count?"

Comment

The geniuses at the Mal of Wart that I shop at had the forethought to put in a Super Duper 10 Items of Fewer check-out....at the same register that the cigarettes are kept at. And the checker can't make a person with more than 10 get their cigs and go to another register....because it might inconvenience them.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I would then turn around and complain to corporate. I know I did that with wait times and made it well known where they can stick their computerized scheduling system.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          The geniuses at the Mal of Wart that I shop at had the forethought to put in a Super Duper 10 Items of Fewer check-out....at the same register that the cigarettes are kept at.
          I can one-up that one: It's also the handicapped accessible counter.

I don't know why they mark it as such, since all the registers are set up to help people even in wheelchairs, but one of the ones near me has 10 Items or less, cig purchase, and the wheelchair symbol all on the same lane. Yeah, I NEVER see people with fewer than 10 items in that line.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I did learn that the mart of wal employees have NO POWER to tell someone with a cart full that they can't go through the express line
            When you're off the clock, you're technically not an employee. They can't dictate what you say when not on the clock.
            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Actually... I work at a mart of wal. I've been told that when you're in uniform. clocked in or not, you're still "representing" the company. So you still couldn't say anything without the ever-looming threat of retaliation...

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                I did learn that the mart of wal employees have NO POWER to tell someone with a cart full that they can't go through the express line. I asked didn't that defeat the purpose of it? They agreed it did, but that's policy. I promised them next time I would say something, uniform or no.
                This would be dependent on who was managing at the time and who was CSMing. If it was the jerk from a previous post, I'd get chewed no matter what I did. If he saw me standing there, waiting for someone to check out and I let a big buggy go to the non-express line (who was also redlining), I'd get chewed. The very next day, I'd get my butt chewed for taking the buggy, even though we were DEAD. Or busy. Didn't matter to him.

Now, if certain CSMs were working, we were only allowed to take the larger buggies if we were dead OR the conveyor registers were slammed, with the exception of Black Friday. It was to help keep our IPH up and make management happy.... with that one exception.

So, please, please, please, be the voice for those who can't speak up without getting fired, chewed or what have you on this. Chances are, we think it's pretty damned stupid too.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                  When you're off the clock, you're technically not an employee. They can't dictate what you say when not on the clock.
                  LF said she was still in uniform, so it's not quite that simple in this case.

I hate stores that don't enforce theur own rules. I just makes things suck all the more for the rest of us.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                    As an employee of Wallyworld, if you are still in uniform, I was told you can be held accountable for what you say because you are still representing the company.
                    Lillfilly, at least at your Wallyworld they have express lanes. We have short registers at ours which were express lanes before. But our little community thinks of itself as a very high upper middle class society. Thus, certain people, customers and managers alike, decided to take the signs down that said "express 20 items or less". And now I always have customers come through my line with big orders. And I have to listen to them ask at least a few times....
                    C: Are you express?
                    Me: No, you're fine.
                    C: Are you sure?
                    Me: Yes I am sure.
                    C: I can go to another line.
                    Me: You're fine.
                    Shalom, its not that they can't read, they just don't give a shit. They are the almighty customer who makes our paychecks possible, so how dare we keep them waiting? Screw all the other customers, to them its all about me me me.

Comment

Our express lane is 12 items or less.

Friday when I left work, I had to pick up a couple of quick items and I headed up to the registers.

A guy with an almost overflowing buggy was attempting to get into the Express Lane, saw me with my 2 sodas and offered to let me go in front since he was (quote unquote) "going to break the 12 items or less rule."

Mouth Almighty is at the Express, training a new hire so I whispered to her to watch the guy behind me.

Needless to say, right when I was getting checked out, MA looked at that guy trying to nudge his cart into the lane and she called him out on it. "Sir, this is for 12 or less."

Me thinking *Don't think so Dude* while I looked back at him sideways as if to tell him "You heard my coworker, now SCRAM."

"But I've got 15," the guy protested.

"Hmmmph," came out of me as I swiped my debit card.

MA was having none of it (and she's like me - don't push her bitch button or you'll wish you'd left the continent.) She simply told him he'd have to go to one of the other lanes (there were 2 full service lanes already open.)

Dude finally got the hint and went to one of the other lanes.

People are stupid . . . even worse when they open their mouths to prove it.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                        Quoth splishims View Post
                        Actually... I work at a mart of wal. I've been told that when you're in uniform. clocked in or not, you're still "representing" the company. So you still couldn't say anything without the ever-looming threat of retaliation...
                        And everybody else, correct me if I'm wrong here, but LillFilly doesn't work for Wally World. She's mall security. She meant that uniform.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                        X