This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERHMAGERD! BERS TRERP! (Longish)

Ok one of the hazards of working in my line of customer service is that I inevitably have to deal with busloads of seniors. The far and away VAST majority of these folks are WONDERFUL to deal with. Really! They are interesting to chat with, they love to travel and 75% of the time have nothing but wonderful to say about the place I work. 24.9% of the time they have an issue, but one that is easily solved leaving them happy and me with a warm fuzzy about making someone's vacation a bit better.

I wish that was the end of the story, but since we're all here we KNOW it won't be.

First, and not really even a customer suck, when the buses unload, EVERYONE from the bus heads straight to their room, and calls me for a wake up call. The suck only comes around with the ones that just can wrap their heads around the idea that they aren't the only person calling for a wake up, then get mad because they either have to wait for me to answer the phone, or better have their call transferred back to the switch board. Of course, the majority of the reason for this is the wonderful in-duh-viduals who call down not sure of either their room number -OR- what time they actually want the wake up call for. How the hell do you call for a wake up call without knowing WHEN you want to be woken up? While they're dithering in the background I put them on hold to help the rest of the mongol horde, and when I come back they are SEVERLY pissed because I didn't sit there listening to Edith and Winifred discuss the various benefits and negatives of getting a 6:15am vs 6:20am wake up call.

Baggage Confusion

I understand that the concept of putting your baggage outside your room so it can be collected and loaded on the bus MAY be a foreign concept for some. But really, its just putting your bag outside your room so it can be collected and loaded on the bus. All you need to do... is put it outside your room at the right time.

Enter Beulah. She is very confused with this whole thing. She calls the front desk at 4am with questions. It seems that she might have been up all night worrying about the disposition of her luggage...

Italics is what's running through my head...

Beulah "Should I leave my bags outside my room before I go to breakfast?"

OK maybe she is unclear about what time her bus is leaving and is wondering what time to put her bags out. Before breakfast which starts at 6:30am and runs until 10am, or after she eats, if she has a later departure.

Me - "Well I don't know what time your groups bags are getting picked up..."
    Guest - "Well I don't want to leave without my bags..."

Really?? Get right the F&*$ out of town! most people WANT to leave their bags behind.

Me - "Understandably... but your tour leader should have told you what to do with your bags and when..."

Really lady, I don't know what YOUR itinerary is. I am here to operate the hotel, NOT keep tabs on the comings and goings of all of my approximately 200 guest rooms.

Guest - "Well I have this paper that says to leave your bags outside your room before going to breakfast... and we're going to breakfast at 7am..."

Dear god. REALLY?

Me - "Uhh... I'd probably go with that then?"
    Guest - "Oh, ok then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave without my bags." -CLICK-

I hate my life.

In Need of a Thesaurus too...

Sheets - "Um... I need an extra bedsheet."
    Me - Wow, THAT'S an unusual request... "Do you need a fitted sheet? Or one of the top sheets?" Is there something wrong with your current sheets? Is there something that needs fixed.
    Sheets - "No! Its cold in here!"
    Me - "Oh... well I'll send someone up with one as soon as I can get..."
    Sheets - "Send one of those thick ones!"
    Me - Tha fuc... thick shee... "A blanket?"
    Sheets - "Yeah!"

The Cafeteria!

Ok Look. We are in a hotel, not a high school. The place where we serve food? Its a restaurant, not a cafeteria. I know, I know, the concept that a hotel MIGHT have a restaurant attached is foreign and scary, but trust me. Its not a cafeteria.

COMPLICATED elevator!!

Elmer is standing at the front desk with me.

Elmer - "What button do I press in the elevator, I'm on the 3rd floor."
    Me - You got down here, and are lost not 5 minutes later? "You... mean to get back to your room?"
    Elmer "No... which button to I press to get here."

I can't have heard that right, I can't have heard that right I can't have heardthatright

Me - "Excuse me?"
    Elmer - "I want to know what button I need to press in the elevator to get here."
    ::Brain screeches to a halt... its dark and scary in here::

Shit.

Me - "Uh... the first floor?"

And what the hell do you mean, "to get here" YOU ARE here. You could always try this new idea, its called... you know, the SAME WAY you got here LAST TIME.

Elmer - "Well... I took the elevator to the 2nd floor."

Ok... look we're on the FIRST FLOOR. If you got off the elevator on the second floor, you either 1) took the STAIRS down to the first floor which should indicate the proper floor 2) Fell through a hole in the floor somewhere, hit your head and forgot the fall or 3) Aren't ACTUALLY here.

Me - "Oh... well... we're on the first floor."
    Elmer - "So... I'd hit the first floor button?"

Seriously?! We have three floors. THREE floors. If you started on the third floor, ruled out the second floor, that doesn't really leave a WHOLE LOT of choices Does it? I mean of the THREE options you've already ruled out two. What else is even left?!

Me - "Yeah... pretty much."

My Room's Not Ready?!?!

Most hotels have a check in and a check out time. They have this for a reason, its not because we like the quiet times between guests. Its also not because we love to have free time where we can romp naked and free in the halls without guests to get in the way. No, during these hours we are very busy. Cleaning rooms, prepping the building, and basically getting ready for all the lovely folks who will be coming in to the hotel that day at 3pm when check-ins start.

Now all that said, if you have a special need, we might be able to check you in early. If you are a bus group and have ARRANGED for an early arrival too, we can USUALLY bust our humps and have everything ready before you arrive. If your bus JUST SHOWS UP before your scheduled and pre-arranged check in time? Well. You're probably Shit Out of Luck. We're still going to rush to get the rooms ready and all, but you will PROBABLY need to, at the very least, wait a bit while we finish the rooms up.

Myrtle's bus showed up THREE HOURS early. As in the guests in those rooms the night before had only just left about an hour ago. Fortunately some rooms were already clean, and we were able to put a rush on the others to get them clean ASAP.

Myrtle wasn't happy.

Myrtle - "WHY isn't my room ready!?"

We were JUST over this with your tourguide, AND we made an announcement to the group before you loaded off the bus.

Me - "I'm sorry Ma'am your bus arrived three hours early, we didn't expect you here for a while. The rooms WOULD HAVE been ready, but since you are so early..."
    Myrtle - ::Healthy dose of catbutt:: HMPH!

5 Minutes later

Myrtle - "Our rooms aren't ready yet?!"

Sure, 5 minutes 23 rooms, no problems right?

Me - "No ma'am, we have all of our house keepers..."
    Myrtle - "This is unacceptable! I want my room now."

You can want in one hand and defecate in the other, see which gets filled first.

Me - "They aren't ready yet. Your bus got here 3 hours early."
    Myrtle - "I can't believe the rooms aren't ready. What kind of hotel is this?!"

The kind that only wants guests checked into clean rooms... but we all know that logic and reason have left the building.

Me - ...
    Myrtle - "I want to know what you're going to DO about this."

What I should do is send your stupid ass back on the bus to come back in THREE HOURS when your rooms would have been ready if you showed up on time.

Me - "The housekeepers are working as fast as they can Ma'am, the rooms should be ready soon."
    Myrtle - ::Stink eye::
    Me - ::Blank look::
    Myrtle - ::Stinkier Stink Eye::
    Me - "Anything else I can help you with?"
    Myrtle - "You didn't help me AT ALL!"
    Me - "Allrighty then! You have a great day! We'll let you know as soon as the rooms are ready then!" ::Turns back to my work::

It is ALSO worth pointing out that the REST OF the bus either went (as part of a rather long line) to find the bar, and pass the time pleasantly with a nice drink. Or had settled into the lounge to watch some TV, or were sitting in the restaurant overflow chatting pleasantly. Nope... Myrtle was the only one on a bus of 50 people who couldn't fathom WHY a hotel wouldn't be ready for a BUS load of seniors who had arrived 3 HOURS before we told them we'd be ready.

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
    The Cafeteria!

Ok Look. We are in a hotel, not a high school. The place where we serve food? Its a restaurant, not a cafeteria. I know, I know, the concept that a hotel MIGHT have a restaurant attached is foreign and scary, but trust me. Its not a cafeteria.
    In defense of this one, it could be a regional distinction. Here in the South there are restaurants that serve buffet-style, and are often referred to and even *named* cafeterias. Restaurants are places that have waitstaff that bring you your food. So if your restaurant is really a buffet, then in their thinking it's a cafeteria.

At least they're not calling it the chow hall.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Didn't know that. It is a buffet at breakfast, so maybe that's all it is. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

Comment

I hope I die before I'm old enough to be on busses with idiots like this. It's a wonder these people made it to senior-citizen status.

Comment

Myrtle figured that your entire hotel was reserved exclusively for her group. So if anybody else was there, you should have kicked them out the night before and spent the next 12 hours cleaning, polishing and rolling out the red carpets.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Myrtle sounds like half the guests I deal with on weekend day shifts who can't understand that, at 7am, not only are all the rooms dirty, but still occupied from the night before. And it doesn't matter how small the words you use to explain it to them are; they simply don't get it and want in their room NAO! (It's been worse lately, too...I think I've had a Myrtle on at least a daily basis this past summer, and weekends it seems I have three or four Myrtles each morning.)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
              Me: "I'm going to sit here and play on my computer while the housekeepers finish cleaning your room. You're welcome to wait here, or there, or leave."

I've been behind the desk at a hotel for 13 years now. I have used that exact phrase more times than I can count, and my manager always backs me up on it. Corporate may not, but who cares about them

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                In defense of this one, it could be a regional distinction. Here in the South there are restaurants that serve buffet-style, and are often referred to and even *named* cafeterias. Restaurants are places that have waitstaff that bring you your food. So if your restaurant is really a buffet, then in their thinking it's a cafeteria.
                And here, a cafe can even be a small, boutique restaurant. Complete with wait staff.

We rarely use the full word 'cafeteria' for anything; but when we do, it can be anything from the 'cafe' near your job - cheap, filling food served quickly for the lunchtime crowd - to these boutique places serving exclusive coffees, teas, wines, cakes, and fancy meals based around whatever's in season at the time.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  We rarely use the full word 'cafeteria' for anything
                  Definitely a difference in terms, then ^_^

In the US, at least...

"Cafe/Café" generally implies a place with "ambience" where you can sit down for some overpriced coffee and/or pastries. La Madeleine is a chain that seems to do a halfway decent job of emulating French-style cafe's.

"Cafeteria" generally refers to a place where you grab a tray, walk up to a long line of food, and grab plates with the items you want/have people behind it to plate the food and hand it to you, then you pay for each item a la carte, find a place to sit, and eat. May or may not have servers to bring you drinks/remove plates. Picadilly Cafeteria does that here in tha South.

"Buffet" normally means "get the food yourself, eat as much as you want". Servers bring you drinks and take away plates (Health code requires that plates cannot be re-used/you must grab clean ones every time, tho it can be hard to enforce). Golden Corrall, Ryan's, many chinese places with name combinations too myriad to list, etc...

Everything else is a "Restaurant" of some variety or another, tho that term can also apply to all of the above. Just to be confusing. Anything from Emeril's to McDonald's can be called a "restaurant"
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    "Buffet" normally means "get the food yourself, eat as much as you want". Servers bring you drinks and take away plates (Health code requires that plates cannot be re-used/you must grab clean ones every time, tho it can be hard to enforce).
                    And in the case of the Flying J in Corfu NY a few years back (before they were bought out by Pilot), it can be hard for customers to tolerate. Why would this be the case? Simple - they RAN OUT of plates. How are you supposed to use a clean plate if there AREN'T any? When I saw this and headed back to my table to get my old plate to re-use, I found that the waitress had been FAR more efficient than normal for Flying J and had already taken it away.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

They ran out of plates?! Were they just shortstaffed (from the sound of things, maybe they were, due to incompetent scheduling) and couldn't get them washed? Did they have a line out the door and around the block?

There's really no excuse for an eatery of any stripe to run out of clean plates, short of exceptional reasons like the dish sanitizer breaking down (the dish WASHER is a person, the dish SANITIZER is a machine with hot water -- yes, I've worked at more than one eatery)...Especially at a buffet, where I would imagine you'd have at least treble the normal number of plates on hand, if not quintuple. ~_~
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        They ran out of plates?! Were they just shortstaffed (from the sound of things, maybe they were, due to incompetent scheduling) and couldn't get them washed? Did they have a line out the door and around the block?
                        About half the tables were occupied, and well under half of those were full. My guess is incompetence - not only had they run out of regular plates, but the small plates at the dessert table and the soup bowls as well.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Guest - "Oh, ok then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave without my bags." -CLICK-
                          Apparently she never heard of ... grabbing them herself if they weren't collected i guess.

I guess " until you go away" isn't appropriate...

Comment

Working...
                          X