This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Hell Saga (Epic Length)

Three weeks into working at Photo Hell, I was promoted to manager and moved to a studio that was, I believe, second worst in the area. Suddenly, 19 year old WoodenSunshine was responsible for cleaning, organizing, getting the studio up to par, fielding complaints about my employees lackluster performance from customers, scheduling appointments, sales, getting all those fantastic new sign ups for some contest that was going on and HIRING new employees without training, alone. I got a raise, but it was definitely not worth the stuff that I had to put up with.

The first studio I was responsible for was in an okay area for a FailMart. The regular customers coming into the area were mostly middle class. I really liked it there, I liked the employees of the FailMart and I actually kind of miss them sometimes. My employee on the other hand was a prick. We’ll call him Boy Diva. He was hired at that studio as manager under a different district manager who was much more lax, so Boy Diva didn’t get the training that he needed and was able to coast by on his good looks, barely. Once my DM had enough evidence, she was able to demote him, cut his hours and pay and plop me into place. All in the same day. Boy Diva’s pride was hurt, so his lackluster work ethic became much, much worse.

====================

The Tales of Boy Diva

Boy Diva was in his early twenties. He took great care about his appearance. Nice shirt, nice shoes, hair faux hawked just so. He was smooth cat who was great with the ladies. A bat of the eye, a wiggle of the eyebrows and he had them in his pocket. He was sly, smooth and lazy. No matter how much you may dislike the sales tactics, it’s your job, please do it correctly.

We had requirements as to how we had to sell, in what order and what way. This needed to be filled out on a sheet in front of the customer, stapled to the order form and filed away. Boy Diva never did this right. IF he filled out the sheet, it usually had the lowest packages and didn’t even top to bottom sell as required. (I didn’t like the aggressive sales tactics either, but, again, it was my job and it’s what I was paid to do.). He had been talked to several times by the DM, but to no avail. He was only working two days a week at most and on the slowest days, so it didn’t affect my bottom line too much. He didn’t do the sign ups as required and didn’t make the phone calls that need to be made. What was he doing, you ask? I found out one day.

The store that I managed was about a 45 minute drive and in my SUV, I really only reserved driving there for the days that I work. But, I’m not stupid and I knew something was up with Boy Diva that the cameras didn’t catch. I decided to do some reconnaissance work. –Cue mission impossible music-

Mr. Wooden was in need of the latest Nerf thing, so we decided to go to FailMart. We bypassed the closest four FailMarts and decided to go to mine. Fourty-five minutes away. I planted Mr. Wooden in the Nerf aisle and I decided to stroll by my studio to see how Boy Diva was doing. He was in line buying something and talking on his phone. I tapped him on the shoulder and smiled and walked off. Wandered back to check on Mr. Wooden and then went to check on Boy Diva. Now, he saw me when he was in line and he KNEW I was in the store. He was hanging out on the edge of the studio just out of our cameras and FailMart’s cameras with headphones in, chilling against the wall. I was not pleased. Texted my DM to let her know what was going on. Boy Diva didn’t even look guilty.

================================

Doing Interviews Without Training? No Big Deal!

As we were trying to get Boy Diva to quit, I was trying to hire fresh blood. Now, I had PLENTY of people ask where they could put in an application. I was happy to provide them with the information. First, they had to fill out an online app, put in an optional resume, fill out some questions (Did you steal from your last job? How comfortable do you feel working on a team? Are you a serial killer?, the usual), and their name would pop up into the system if they passed. Then, an email would be sent to DM who would then sit on the applications for a month and then send me one or two at a time. I was then to go over the application, decide if they were worthy and do a phone interview. Phone interviews were easy. I had a form to fill out and I could choose by the end of the interview if I wanted to schedule an in-person interview.

Out of all of the phone interviews that I did between three studios (my first studio, ghetto studio and I was helping out another manager who HATED doing phone interviews), I only declined to set up three in person interviews. One because she was nearly impossible to get a hold of on the phone and needed more hours than I know I could give, the second because he gave one word answers and just gave off this vibe of “I’m putting in applications anywhere”, the third because she was a snotty, nasty rude lady who talked to me like she knew everything and anything about everything.

In my first studio, I hired two new people, Pettigrew and Princess.

Pettigrew’s story is sad. He was laid off from a fantastic banking job where he was for thirteen years and was looking around for any type of job. Minimum wage or not. He was one who stopped by and requested application information from me. We chatted a bit. He had a FANTASTIC letter from his previous employer and a great resume. The problem was that he had no experience with children or photography. Long story short, I was at a loss of decent candidates, so I did hire Pettigrew. I figure with his slightly cocky attitude, he could rack up some sales and he was willing to travel.

Princess was a mistake. She was fantastic on the phone and fantastic in the interview. Training her though…

Remember WoodenSunshine, Murder is Bad!

Princess is a bitch. She’s a prissy prima donna who I should have done a more thorough check of her references.

The way that she talked was with this whine. Everything she said was high pitched and exaggerated. Especially when she wanted to know why, or WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY rather. She had to have either been the youngest or an only child. I don’t know where I should start with her.

Talking back: Dear gd, since when to twenty year olds say, “I don’t wanna” to their manager?! Not, “I don’t want to”. It was, “I don’t WAAAAAAAAANNA”. Be it going out and getting people to sign up for the contest or selling to a customer. I swear she may have stamped her foot a little too. Worse, she managed to embarrass me in front of my DM and other DM. She said it to them. Seriously. Thankfully, my DM doesn’t take that and had lectured her real good. Too bad it didn’t stick.

Attendance Issues: She requested to leave early at least three times during her training. One time, she requested to leave early and I put my foot down with her. She left anyway. Another time, she failed to show up at all. I wasn’t about to call her and I awaited her call. She NCNS. She showed up the next day totally unabashed. When I asked her why she didn’t call, her response was that she forgot. Bullpoop. Her stay at Photo Hell ended epically. She got a call from another job hiring her, so she left the studio midday, lights on, totally empty. That was her resignation.

The Tales of Boy Diva Continued

By this point, Pettigrew and Princess were fine with working alone (cough cough), and there was a great shift of managers. The manager of my second studio was moved to the worst studio in the district and I was to take over her studio which I will call Ghetto Studio. Now, it wasn’t the absolutely worst location, but it was definitely not great. I witnessed two people fighting over a parking spot to the point that police were called. Made me miss my first studio really bad.

When I shifted to managing Ghetto Studio, Boy Diva went back to working more hours with Pettigrew taking a couple of days a week. The thing is that, honestly, Pettigrew needed more training. He knew his stuff, but he was having a little trouble pushing it. When someone complained about the price, he withered faster than an orchid in the Sahara. The problem is that he wasn’t technically my employee anymore, so I couldn’t authorize more training. Boy Diva had to. But, Boy Diva didn’t sell correctly either. One time, I covered the studio I made more in a day then the three, then two of them made in a week.

So, I’m at home when I get a text from Pettigrew asking if he could call me and tell me something. I said sure, so he gave me call.

Pettigrew: I need to tell you something, but you can’t tell the DM.
    Me: …oooookay. What’s going on?
    Pettigrew: Boy Diva was training me today. But, he really wasn’t. He had a girl in the studio and they were chatting it up. He told me not to tell DM.
    Me: Seriously?! You need to call the DM RIGHT NOW!
    Pettigrew: But, I don’t want to get in trouble.
    Me: Look, you’re not going to get in trouble. There is not a damn thing that Boy Diva can do to you. I’ll call DM first and let her know.
    Pettigrew: Thank you for the help.
    Me: No problem.

I called our DM and had a bit of a chat. She found it all VERRRRRRY interesting. She chatted with Pettigrew and put in some paperwork.

Boy Diva didn’t last much longer. –evil grin-

Ghetto Studio Blues

When I shifted to Ghetto Studio, I inherited an employee we’ll call Sloth. Sloth was a fantastic photographer. She was incredibly creative and she could get photos that I couldn’t even dream of. The problem is that she was lazy and unreliable.

The previous manager actually warned me about her. She had a penchant for lying about her school schedule, calling out at the very last minute and chronic tardiness.

I worked out a schedule with Sloth that would allow her to come in to work in the afternoons a couple days and one full day a week. It worked for the most part. Except that every time that she had to work the afternoon shift, she would call be one hour before (that was the very latest that you could call out) and have a school project that just HAD to be completed or on the days where she was scheduled full day, she would text me and tell me that her car had broken down. Once or twice is fine, almost every single shift, suspicious. She once tried to call out when I was in New York. I told her tough cookies and that she had to find her own cover.

The best time was when she told me the day before a huge district wide meeting for managers that she had an appointment that she absolutely must be there for. I asked her how long she knew about this appointment…awhile…how long she knew that she was scheduled for that day…awhile…So, why is she just now telling me about it…I dunno. Long story short, I allowed her a longer lunch to go to the appointment and took the shitstorm that the DM rained down on me for that.

It took a couple weeks of working in Ghetto Studio to actually meet Sloth. I set up a time on a slow day to stop by and finally meet her and go over the things we learned in the district meeting. Remember how I said that she was chronically tardy? Well, I decided that I would come in on Sunday morning at open to meet. Studio opens at 11am. I’m there at 10:30am and chat with one of the FailMart ASMs. We’re chatting for a bit until I realized that it was 11am. Pop back over to the studio. No Sloth. The rule was the clock in 15 minutes early, so that you can open the register, clean, whatever needed to be done before customers came in. Eleven fifteen, still no Sloth. I’m getting antsy. Eleven thirty? In strolls Sloth. I’m livid. I went over the things that needed to be done and went to get my nails done.

Ghetto Studio was in an absolutely terrible location. It was a great, huge studio, but to get to it, you had to go through a nail salon. The studio constantly stank of nail studio smells and got ridiculous hot, because there was no air flow. With that, I was constantly shooing nail salon customers out of my studio. They seemed to think that my seating was for them and pitched fits because the nail salon’s chairs are full. Not my problem. I don’t have time to baby sit you or your children while trying to get work done. Be off with you!

The nail salon workers were great though. The owners sometimes had their kids with them, so on days when I wasn’t busy at all, I’d entertain the oldest. She was sometimes a little bratty (but most nine year olds are), but sweet. The mother and I would gossip about all the crap that went on (or didn’t go on) when Sloth was working.

Why Photo Hell Should go to Hell

Photo Hell was fantastic for about a month. Then, corporate decided that instead of ten sign ups a day (for emails, contest, whatever), they wanted twenty. On top of over a hundred dollar PRS (amount of money made divided by sits), making 15 or more cold calls a day, cleaning the studio…alone. Because we didn’t have enough traffic to have more than one person working at a time. It was ridiculous too. The required information was name, address, number, birthday, email. I wondered if next they would require blood test and first born son.

I honestly didn’t mind the sales tactics. I figure that if someone was willing to spend $400 of their money on photos, that’s none of my business and I sold plenty of $400 packages to people. Quality photos=money. However, not everyone has that kind of money to spend. Not everyone wants or can spend that kind of money. I believe that presented with options, it’s okay if you’re only going to get the smallest photo package. Maybe you don’t have that many family members or you’re a single mom on welfare and you just want a beautiful photo of your baby. I’m totally okay with that. Corporate is not. To corporate, everyone who comes through that door will be spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on photos. I was still fine with selling, but I know when to stop pushing.

The Final Showdown

I mentioned in a previous post many moons ago about that nasty customer who was not pleased that I may have needed to go to the hospital. It only got worse. A lot of the sick I had at the time was stress caused by aggressive DM and lack of customers due to it being a slow period.

I was also secretly going through the interview process with an awesome insurance company. I got the call that they wanted to hire me, so I put in my…couple day notice. It had gotten so bad with the DM that I was fed up. I went in to my shift and DM was working too. Odd, but okay. I told her that I had something that I need to discuss with her. She said okay. I was about to explain what was going on when I had a couple customers come in for passport photos. Cool. I get the paperwork together and start warming up the printer. DM tries to get me to talk to her. I whispered that I would talk to her after we finish with the customers. She tried to get me talk to her again, but I still didn’t want to discuss personal business, whispered or no, with customers there. Honestly, I may have been a little rude about it, because I wanted to get the customers handled and then have a sit down with the DM.

After the customers left, DM decided to rip me a new one. She yelled and told me that I should never ever talk to her that way because I am not her mother and I am so rude and I talk down to everyone I come in contact with. So, I hand her my resignation. Then, she proceeds to yell more that she gave me a great chance and I’m wasting it. She knew that if my buttons got pressed, I’d cry. I swear that woman bathes in the tears of the people she makes cry. She’s pissy and decides that she’s done with me, so as she’s about to leave, she wanted to verify that I would be working in my first studio on Saturday. I said, of course.

I had a decent sale that day, closed down the studio at the appropriate time, cleaned it up, went home and never went back.

Yes, it was a sucky thing to do, but this post doesn’t cover all of the things that DM put me through.

The Aftermath

I stop by the local Failmart from time to time. It looks like they got a new DM (no surprises there) and from what I hear, the local Failmart’s studio has had many employees going in and out. My first studio is closed and Ghetto Studio is closed. They weren’t making the revenue.

I’ve been with my insurance company for almost a year and I have never been happier

Man! You got put through the ringer with those people! o_O

Really happy to hear things worked out for you, though.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

Now I understand why taking pictures with cell phones is so popular. It avoids large messes like that place.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
        She’s pissy and decides that she’s done with me, so as she’s about to leave, she wanted to verify that I would be working in my first studio on Saturday. I said, of course.

I had a decent sale that day, closed down the studio at the appropriate time, cleaned it up, went home and never went back.

Yes, it was a sucky thing to do, but this post doesn’t cover all of the things that DM put me through.
        So, wait, Miss Bathes-In-The-Tears-Of-Lesser-Beings ranted and yelled at you, as you were telling her you were resigning, effective more or less immediately, and she still expected you to come in to work that Saturday?

Or was that Saturday within the 'grace period' between notice of resignation and your intended last day?

'Cos, if it's the former, that's just crazydumb.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
        X