This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the left turn green arrow...

... but you're still making a right on red without stopping (essentially running the red) and looking at me like i'm nuts when I late-brake, make like i'm going to hit you while laying on the horn?

This happens probably twice a week at an intersection right up the road from my place of work.

I've started making like I'm going to ram them broadside, with some interesting results. So far one lady locked the brakes up and nearly got rearended by the guy behind her who also ran the red (right turn without stopping on red) and on another occasion the red-light-runner peeled both his right side hubcaps off on the curb because he thought I was truly not going to avoid the collision. LOL

You just put in a dashcam, didn't you?

Please PLEASE post the video next time that happens!

Comment

I get that all the time on my way home. I have a protected left turn, but the traffic coming the other way doesn't even pause to let me in as they all turn right on red...

Dashcam could be fun though. I might have to look into getting one.

Comment

It's their god given right to turn right on red though...

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
          It's their god given right to turn right on red though...
          You have no idea how many people will turn right on red even when there is a HUGE sign smack right in front of them stating "NO RIGHT ON RED."

They do it anyway and it pisses me off when I am following the directions on that sign (IE waiting for green to take my turn) and the jerkalope behind me is laying on his horn. One time my friend (who is 6'4" and beefy) got out of my little Solara (which we like to call "My Clown Car" because it can fit way more than it should) and stared at the guy pointing at the sign.

"DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO FUCKING READ?"

I swear the jerkalope sank down behind his wheel in fear.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I must admit I do the "I'm not going to stop" thing at douchebags to usurp my right of way on the protected left/right on red situations.

Actually, I usually don't have to as my stare alone is almost always enough to get them to think twice and let me take what is rightfully mine.

It's worth noting that I keep an eye on the surrounding situation so that if there were, say, kids on the curb waiting to cross, I won't put them in danger in case some twit decides he's more special than me, and I absolutely won't actually run into anyone. But they don't need to know that.... >_>

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, yeah, I have absolutely no intention of hitting them. Kids around, bicyclists, someone planting flowers on their property out by a roadside sign, whatever. Or, if the road's wet, it's dawn or twilight outside, foggy, whatever.

The stupid dashcam died after recording less than 10 minutes of video. Once it's replaced, if I catch anything noteworthy with it, I'll be sure to post it up.

I've been through that intersection probably ten times since my initial post making this protected left turn and haven't had an issue.

Comment

it was really bad where i use to live in virginia beach.

the local highway had an intersection where there was a separate lane running off onto my road. people treated it as if they didn't have to stop for red lights, even though the lane still had a line painted across it to mark where you're suppose to stop.

every so often we'd have a cop out there ticketing people for it

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                  You have no idea how many people will turn right on red even when there is a HUGE sign smack right in front of them stating "NO RIGHT ON RED."

They do it anyway and it pisses me off when I am following the directions on that sign (IE waiting for green to take my turn) and the jerkalope behind me is laying on his horn. One time my friend (who is 6'4" and beefy) got out of my little Solara (which we like to call "My Clown Car" because it can fit way more than it should) and stared at the guy pointing at the sign.

"DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO FUCKING READ?"

I swear the jerkalope sank down behind his wheel in fear.
                  Ugh. I was at an intersection yesterday where a side street hits a one way street. I'm waiting for the light and the jerk behind me beeps his horn because I didn't make a left-on-red like the guy ahead of me did. So annoying.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

The worse thing about partsgrunt's particular situation is that those right-on-redders can leave your ass hanging out in the middle of the intersection. and THAT'S no fun.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                      Ugh. I was at an intersection yesterday where a side street hits a one way street. I'm waiting for the light and the jerk behind me beeps his horn because I didn't make a left-on-red like the guy ahead of me did.
                      This is actually legal in New Jersey, but only if both streets are one-way.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        This is actually legal in New Jersey, but only if both streets are one-way.
                        Interesting. I didn't know that was legal anywhere.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I believe the left on red if both streets are 1-way is also the rule in California.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's legal here in PA as well, but very few people seem to know about it. Unfortunately, that one came up when my son was testing for his learner's permit and he missed it, failing the test by one question.

My mom didn't even know that. She thought the answer to "when is it legal to make a left turn on a red light" was "never."
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                            X