This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have No Soul

So if there was a prize for "worst cashier EVER" that would be me. There is no way this situation could have gotten any worse.

I'm talking to my coworker about fictional murder mysteries. Like Agatha Christie type things. And I said that his personality would make for an interesting character. Maybe the murderer of a short story I could write. He says "Oh, what kind of people would I be killing?" And I kinda laughed and said, "Oh you know, someone obnoxious. In fiction the person who's murdered always deserves it."

Well a young woman had walked up to his register while I was talking. She promptly says:

"My aunt was murdered."

Now this baffled me. In my head I was like Why is she saying this? That has nothing to do with Agatha Christie murder mysteries... and I got really confused by her statement.

So of course, in wondering why she said that at all and trying to find a reason for it I say the EXACT WRONG THING. "Well.......did she kinda probably deserve it?"

I like to think of it like this: You say to your friend, "I'm so mad at my dog I could kill him." Someone eavesdrops and doesn't know you wouldn't really kill your dog and says, "How dare you, my dog DIED yesterday." The logical way to go in that conversation is the question, "Did you kill it?" That or, "Why are you talking to me? I don't even know you..."

Of course the whole thing goes downhill from there because she huffily says "NO!" And I say, "Well...what happened?" Because I'm still wondering why she even said it in the first place (and I have no soul). She proceeds to tell me that someone just came up to her and killed her while she was hanging out with her friends. I then discern that she didn't even HEAR THE WHOLE CONVERSATION (i.e. the "in fiction" in the sentence) and decided that she was going to make herself into a victim just because she can. I, of course, tell her that we were not talking about random acts of violence or real life situations, we were talking about murder mysteries.

Her response: "Uh huh. You should watch what you say!"

I suppose the lesson in this is either don't talk about your next fiction project at work or make sure you know what the conversation is about before you start telling people with no souls all about your poor murdered aunt.

And to be clear here: I said the wrong thing at the wrong time but there were two options in my head at the time and the other one was "Don't sound so happy about it." She confused me so badly with what she was saying because to me it sounded like it was coming from left field. Sure we were talking about murder but FICTIONAL MYSTERIES. Agh. She left me so flustered.

"Uh huh, you shouldn't but into conversations when you honestly have no idea what the conversation is about."

Blah! Don't worry too much about it. One time I was chatting to customers at the Golden Arches about the new puppy they were getting. I smiled and said, "Be sure to have a lot of free time, getting a new puppy is just as much work as a new baby!"

So the woman behind these customers apparently went to my manager and complained that I had called her child a dog. The manager was very confused and asked me what happened, and I told her, and she proceeded to roll her eyes and sigh.

People with a victim complex would find a way to victimize themselves even if you were talking about daffodils and lavender.

"I'M ALLERGIC TO FLOWERS!"
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Considering the conversation prior to her inserting herself into it, I'm not sure what you said really was the wrong thing so much as a natural progression of the conversation for anyone who had actually been involved with it rather than just hearing a single comment and interjecting.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, I must have no soul either, because when I read this
        "Well.......did she kinda probably deserve it?"
        I actually honked it made me laugh so hard.
        I'm kind of cringing, but mostly laughing.

But seriously, there is no such thing as a soul. It's just something parents made up to scare children, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.
        "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

I can understand why she was upset at what you asked... but she DID insert herself into a conversation.

Which reminds me of some replies others have used - on me actually .

"This is an A-B conversation; C your way out of it."
          "You should check the flavor of the kool-aid before jumping in."

I can guarantee you... it's good for shutting someone up, and slapping their ego a bit.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
            People with a victim complex would find a way to victimize themselves even if you were talking about daffodils and lavender.

This. Also, some people just like to stick their noses into other people's conversations purely for the sake of starting something. The woman in the OP sounds like one of those.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
              Well, I must have no soul either, because when I read this

I actually honked it made me laugh so hard.
              I'm kind of cringing, but mostly laughing.
              I also cringed, but it was more funny than anything.

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter

Bingo

Comment

Oh god, now I'm maging what would happen if someone inserted themselves into a conversation about my next writing project.

It's a superhero story set in an alternate version of my city, so I'm always discussing things with my friends like 'I wonder how it would look if a guy with his arms on fire came crashing through that brick wall there.'

Y'know, I might just see if I can try to provoke reactions like above, just for the entertainment value.
                Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  I also cringed, but it was more funny than anything.
                  Having two sisters in a certain profession, I am accustomed to that kind of humor...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    "Oh you know, someone obnoxious. In fiction the person who's murdered always deserves it."

Well a young woman had walked up to his register while I was talking. She promptly says:

"My aunt was murdered."
                    Which is the problem right there. She wasn't murdered in fiction!
                    Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Some people go around looking for things to be offended about. There's very little you can say that wouldn't offend somebody if they were determined to be offended. She should have just minded her own business.

I remember a woman at work years ago who got all offended because another women suggested that her cats (she bred Egyptian Maus) were a lot like children, and of course the huffy woman didn't like "her children" being "compared to animals."
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I remember a woman at work years ago who got all offended because another women suggested that her cats (she bred Egyptian Maus) were a lot like children, and of course the huffy woman didn't like "her children" being "compared to animals."
                        One of my coworkers on my 2nd ship was pissed at me for saying that my cat was "my child that never grew up." How dare I compare my cat to a kid!

Comment

Reminds me of a Dork Tower comic strip. Two of the characters are sitting in the park having a very non-chalant conversation about their previous night's D & D game and a passerby wanders into the conversation at the wrong moment.

"So I took the battle axe and hacked his arm off. I was gonna stop there, but Chuck decided to shove the arm down the guy's throat..."

Passerby freaks out and runs away screaming.

"Sure are a lot of freaks in this park, aren't there?"

Comment

Working...
                          X