Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the award for Stupidest Question Ever goes to...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the award for Stupidest Question Ever goes to...

I recently moved back to Salem. For those of you who are not in the know, Laurie Cabot was a prominent public figure in Salem, Massachusetts for the last fifty years. She is often credited with turning Salem into "Witch City" as she was the first woman to live openly as a practicing Wiccan.

So yesterday I was out for a walk on Essex Street. As I said, Laurie Cabot's shop is closed, but her daugter's shop is Crow Haven Corner. And during the autumn months leading to October, they hire people to dress up and hand out fliers to attract potential customers.

One woman was all dressed up in the traditional pointy hat and black clothing, when she handed this guy a flier. He looked at it and then I overheard him say, "You know, I've lived in Salem my whole life. Was Laurie Cabot ever a real person?"

Her shop closed down just a few months ago, but when it was open you could see her almost every day. She usually stayed in the back room and only ever met customers who were there for readings but when you saw her she hardly seemed any different from the photo of herself when she first came to Salem. And ever so often she can still be seen out and about in the city. There are photos of this woman all over the place, and although she's considerably older now, this is not a person you could easily mistake for anyone else. Certainly not if you've "lived there" your whole life.

That guy right there is one of the Oblivious. They're everywhere.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I haven't been to Salem since my vacation there in the late 1970s. I remember going to a few places and shops and such, even this one basement that had cool magic designs on the floor, but my main memory is a small museum with an audio history of pirates, whose narrator had a boner for saying "pepper" like a pirate.

"They smuggled many spices, especially PEP-AH!"
      Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Working...
      X