Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech problems last Saturday at an electronics store!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech problems last Saturday at an electronics store!

So I was walking downtown, and thought that I could trade my old iPod and recycle an old game at a big electronics store (think Shop of the Future). The recycling part went fine. It was the trade-in part that was the problem.

I was led to the cell phone department to trade in my old iPod. After checking that it had everything (it didn't), my reimbursement value was calculated to be $25.00. Fine by me, it was a gift, after all. I watched the sales associate go through the process of getting the store credit and we entered my information into the computer, too. The problem came when she obtained a gift card and tried to load it.

The card wouldn't scan. She kept at it a few times, but it just WOULD. NOT. SCAN. We even tried repeating the information gathering process at another PC, but the scanner appeared to hate us, because it just WOULDN'T WORK! She called another associate over, and I think her manager was also involved, as well as using a "store credit" card instead of the gift card. In total, four associates were busting their butts to help me out, but even the replacement scanner that they used would not work! Please note that this was the first time they had ever done this with a classic iPod.

In the meantime, I was sitting on the barstool, waiting patiently and ready to fend off any SC's that dared to come between us. Fortunately, no one came. Any time they seemed to have progress, I'd come over, just to see what was going on.

The first associate had to file a ticket with the IT department and was sent off somewhere while the rest of them worked on the problem. Finally, 1 hour after we first encountered the problem, she came back with a working "store credit" card and they were finally able to reimburse me. I couldn't thank them enough.

Before I left the store, I shouted a happy "THANK YOU!" to the first associate as she left the cell phone counter.

Sometimes, technology sucks. Sometimes.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Yeah, the scanners are shit and unless the barcode is perfect, it will not scan right.

Now guess what barcodes are always effed up in printing? (I swear they found the cheapest printer in the world and never bothered to calibrate it.)

Why yes, I did work there. It took them 10 years to upgrade the POS systems and another 5 to upgrade the software. Yeesh!

Of course, when I worked there the staff knew there was a numerical code that you could type in and be done with it. Don't know what idiocy prevented them from doing that.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The idiocy was that the software prevented them from entering said barcode, because an error window kept popping up every time the associate tried to do so. Another example of sucky technology.
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

this sounds a bit like the place i use to work at.

we couldn't enter the barcodes in by hand on the gift cards. so if the scanner wasn't working it really sucked.

although if the card itself was the problem, i'd have just grabbed another one to see if it scanned.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
          Sometimes, technology sucks. Sometimes.
          As I put it, "Technology works great! Right up to the moment it doesn't."
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Technology is like cars.

The faster it makes everything go, the more painful it is when it suddenly stops.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              As I put it, "Technology works great! Right up to the moment it doesn't."
              Cave man to broken spear and sabre-tooth, 40,000 BCE.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Hey, POS doesn't just stand for "Point of Sale." (As in "Piece of S***)

Comment

Quoth promobob View Post
                  Hey, POS doesn't just stand for "Point of Sale." (As in "Piece of S***)
                  When I first started reading these forms, I did not realize at first that POS referred to "point of sale."
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                  X