This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wardrobe Help, Please.

No, I can dress myself, thank you, and I can even figure out what goes with what and what looks good. That is not the kind of help I need, thank you very much.

Here's the situation: a few months ago, I bought four brand spanking new pairs of cargo shorts, for work and play, as I find them comfortable and easy to work and move in, and the multiple pockets simply work for me.

It didn't take long for one pair to have it's front button fall off. Well, shit.

Then a couple weeks ago another pair got a huge hole in the butt area. Not a split, as that would be up a seam, but just as if someone had taken a huge knife to it. Which, as far as I know, no one had. And then yesterday, a second pair lost its front button.

Now, I know I've gotten a bit thicker over the last few years, but I am basically the same size as when I tried these things on in the store, and they fit perfectly fine, and just the same way as they do now.

The two button poppers I'm having repaired by a local seamstress....that's easy enough. The ripped pair I think is going to have to be tossed.

But here's where I need help. I need recommendations for brands of cargo shorts that are decent, sturdy, comfortable, can put up with lots of abuse, can come in normal colors (I am NOT wearing dayglo green or pink camo, thank you very much!), and are not ridiculously expensive. I know my size, so I can buy these things online, but would like some recommendations on particular brands that fit my parameters, or even sites you've had good experiences with for this particular clothing item.

I would just shop for them here in town, but I bought the two pairs at Sears and Champs, and other than those places, the only options I have are K-Mart (which has nothing I like), Ross (which has even less I like or in my size), and insanely overpriced boutique stores in downtown Key West.

So...suggestions, please? I thank you for any and all ideas.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I suggest "ripstop."

It's a sort of webbed fabric which isn't supposed to tear as easily. Comes in normal colors like you'd expect to find in a pair of khaki cargo shorts.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Googled it, found some killer deals on them on amazon, and like the styles and colors so far.

That being said, feel free to keep more ideas coming, kids.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I personally go for the JC Penny brand, arizona, yes I buy men's shorts, women's only seem to come in capris or "booty shorts", so I hit the men's department for cargo shorts.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Duluth Fire Hose shorts are good. While I haven't worn them myself (still to big to fit in the largest ladies size they have) my brother and my boyfriend both own them. They're sturdy and comfortable, and (I'm pretty sure) they have a lifetime warranty.

ETA: I'm not finding the guarantee on the shorts, so that may just be on the long pants.
          Last edited by ArcticChicken; 09-20-2012, 03:07 AM.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

We've never gone wrong with Carhartt brand. My military/police husband has always liked them.
            "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

We only wear 5.11's for cargo pants. Our friends love the shorts, but having been in Alaska we didn't try them. I have one pair of pants that are still going strong 5 years later and still look good. The 100% cotton ones wear faster though.

Comment

Finally - something that's right up my alley. Fashion!

I'd say Columbia or North Face. Both are very nice looking and sturdy to boot, with North Face being a bit pricey.

Hope this helps!
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I wear 'em almost constantly Jester, those extra pockets are vital. I can second from experience the Carhartt, Northface, and Columbia recommendations. Only have two months on the most recent pair, Wrangler rip-stop, but so far so good.

Comment

I love my Makita cargoes, their only flaw is not quite enough pockets in the long pants. The shorts are good, but I wear them for yardwork and not everyday so YMMV. They are guys ones because I received hand-me-ups from my little brother, he outgrew them quickly and they didn't fit Rugz. I love that they are lightweight and fairly cool even on humid summer days. I haven't broken them yet, and I've had them for a few years now.
                    Last edited by Mishi; 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM.
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I am a big fan of Dickies...

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-shorts.jsp

The are reasonably priced, I have pairs of jeans and shorts that are still in good shape after 5 years of regular wear and tear.

Comment

Old Navy has some: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5226
                        Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Working...
                        X