Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's similar to the "Mir ist" vs. "Ich bin" in German which, depending on how you're planning on describing yourself, can have some...awkward consequences.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
      As soon as someone feels nauseated, it tends to spread to others who all of a sudden are sort of "focused" on how their stomach feels and sometimes their sensitivity gets the better of them. A few times after a group of people and I have a meal and afterwards someone starts feeling queasy, I start wondering if it was the food we just ate and I start feeling queasy myself, even if it wasn't actually the food.

So, technically, they are nauseous. It's just that if they kept their mouth shut they'd merely be nauseated.
      I've never had that happen. The only time it occurs is if someone actually throws up in front of me, then I start to gag. If someone mentions they're feeling sick I just go, "Sorry, could it be a stomach bug?"

Technically, they still are only nauseated, because they are not actively aware they are making others feel sick, that, and the fact that people only start to feel sick after the first person makes their comment. So at the time of the comment, they are nauseated, not nauseous. (Yes, I can be a semantics hard-ass. )
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        Effect is a noun. - The sound effects were amazing.
        Affect is a verb. - The rain affected Amy's hair.
        I remind myself of the difference by remembering Affect is an Action word
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
          It's similar to the "Mir ist" vs. "Ich bin" in German which, depending on how you're planning on describing yourself, can have some...awkward consequences.
          Yep, small details can have VERY awkward consequences, as described in "Told You So" by Esther Friesner (in the book "Alternate Kennedys").
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Actually, I believe that "Can I" is the correct grammar when the Deli's guy's ability to provide the service is in question.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              I twitch a lot when people confuse "its vs it's", "there vs their vs they're", "your vs you're"... but the "good vs well", "can vs may" and "whom vs who" jerks can kiss my ass.

"May" implies permission, which in essence is already assumed when you enter an establishment, provided you have the funds necessary to make the purchase. "Can" implies ability... i.e. if they were sold out of roast beef, then you literally can't have any. He's not otherwise preventing you from having any, which "may" implies. If this had happened to me, it would probably have escalated into a shouting match with me either getting kicked out or storming out by myself.

I wonder if he gives foreigners a hard time.
              That's it exactly. I tend to say "could I have a pound of whatever" because since they're there for the sole purpose of selling it I assume I MAY have it - but there's always the possibility they're out, the slicer isn't working, or some other circumstance could mean that I actually CAN'T have it.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

A friend of mine plays on Habbo Hotel. Or more specifically, clones of it called "retros".

Everytime someone on there starts to attack her for roleplaying, she proceeds to call them out on their spelling and grammar. Every. time. It usually shuts them up.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I never knew about the "nauseated" vs "nauseous" thing until just now. Just goes to show that you learn something new every day!

Now I know!
                  Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Working...
                  X