Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Dangers : Quick, to the point, and on the road we go.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Dangers : Quick, to the point, and on the road we go.

Ok I think a little background is needed here. First these are three short stories..mostly because they happened a long time ago, and I only remember certain things. Second while the stories happened several months apart it was at a time when I had just gotten over being told I had 2 years to live at most. I had developed a fatalistic outlook on life, and was pretty fearless. I would say that these stories made (counting medical reasons) the score ME 5, Death 0 .. but the last I will let you decide if it counts or not. Ok enough background..to the three (really short) tales of Mytical's stupidity.

All's Fair in Love and War

I was working at the fairground, in a t-shirt painting booth. I collected the money, wrote down what the customers wanted, and my boss was doing the painting. (Off topic she was dang good at it too, not a good human being, but a great artist..).

A man come rushing through the crowd yelling "I am going to kill that !", and a loud boom was heard as he fired a shot into the air. Everybody scattered, except me. He was waiving the gun, looking to aim it at her (she was cowering in the corner of the booth, nowhere to go). I stepped right into the way, the gun aimed at my head.

"Move you idiot! I want her, not you!" and something about he didn't care if he went through me.

Now the local police had a presence at the fair, in fact they had a bus not too far away from where all this was taking place..so I knew that it was only a matter of moments before the boys in black (they wore black...not blue) were going to arrive. So ...

"You have about one shot. You can kill me, and go to jail for no good reason, or you can put it down." Don't get me wrong even with a fatalistic outlook..I was scared witless..but I knew if I moved..he was going to kill her. I honestly didn't think he wanted to hurt anybody else..or else he would have already.

He moved right up to me, the gun touching my forehead. Just for a moment..I thought I was wrong..then he lowered the gun. The boys in black were on him in a heartbeat..but I will never forget that look. The look of pure rage. He had wanted to kill her something bad. I still to this day have NO idea why he didn't just go through me.

Money is the point

I was working (later then the above, this happened months after the gun incident) at a local grocery as a cashier (before wally world). We were told..if robbed just give up the money, no muss no fuss. I never was good at taking orders.

Guy comes up, pulls what I THOUGHT was a stun gun..orders me to empty the register.

"No."

He brandished the 'taser' and said "What do you mean no?! I will gut you."

I thought that was an odd statement for somebody with a stun gun, until he brought it up and I got a good look..it was a bowie knife. "Did I stutter? No."

He takes a quick swipe, I move out of the way..and hit his arm sending the knife flying..other employees are coming up..he looks around..and runs for the hills. He got away (I was having a mini heart attack or something, trying not to faint..and the others were not close enough). We gave the knife to the police..and they did catch him days later. I was yelled at for 'trying to be a hero!' and put on probation. *shrugs*

Last but not least...

Dead end street
    Months later I was doing a side job as a parking attendant for a festival. Our job was to guide people where to park. I was doing just that, and apparently the guy didn't like where I was wanting him to park. Never found out why, but he must have wanted a different parking spot...because he passed it up, coming right up on me. I lightly tapped the hood, dancing backward, and indicated the spot again. He revved his engine, hopped forward a little, making me jump back again. I banged on his hood a little harder and pointed at the spot a little more ... aggressively. He revved his engine, hopped forward, I jumped completely out of the way..and he was gone. Never figured what the heck that was about.
    Last edited by Mytical; 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Quoth Mytical View Post
    He had wanted to kill her something bad. I still to this day have NO idea why he didn't just go through me.
    Yikes!

She must have done something very personally hurtful to him for him to be so intent on killing her but unwilling to hurt bystanders.

That last guy sounds like he was some big shot who was upset that you didn't recognize him.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Mytical, I mean this from the bottom of my heart and say it with only the most respect possible:

WHAT IN THE DOUBLE FLOPPING HELL WERE YOU THINKING???

Still, I'm glad things worked out.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I'm sorry but I second Nurians comment, particularly with the second story.

The vast majority of businesses have theft/robbery insurance in case that sort of thing happens. Almost every job I have ever worked in has drilled home the point ad nauseum "If you are held up, don't try to be a hero. Just give them the money. We can get the money back - We can't get YOUR LIFE back though."
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Mytical, you rock!

I have done the same thing in the past, and will in the future. Letting them get away with it only encourages the bastards. Like puppies, they need a firm bomp on the nose and a stern 'no' to correct their bad behaviour.

Continue to rock Mytical!

Comment

Well as I said..at the time I was convinced I was going to die shortly anyhow..so wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind..
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
              We can't get YOUR LIFE back though."
              I think the second line of the OP has the clue to that.

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                I think the second line of the OP has the clue to that.
                I don't trust comments of "You have X time to live", doctors said it to my aunt back when I was a teenager, claiming she had a month to live. She lived 4 more years before finally passing on. Even if it were the case and they had exactly that amount of time left, I feel that each day should be lived to the fullest right up until your last day. That is my personal opinion though.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                  I don't trust comments of "You have X time to live", doctors said it to my aunt back when I was a teenager, claiming she had a month to live. She lived 4 more years before finally passing on. Even if it were the case and they had exactly that amount of time left, I feel that each day should be lived to the fullest right up until your last day. That is my personal opinion though.
                  Absolutely agree..now. This was in .. 1996-1997..a long time ago. For awhile I took the news very badly. Fell into a deep depression. Came out the other side of that, but I over compensated. Figured if I was going to die anyhow, why be careful? Still have that outlook somewhat. I will put myself between danger and others (if I can react fast enough), but material things? Not that important. I would still react the same as I did in the first story, but the second? They could have the money. I would probably pass out after it was over also. *laughs* I have a very healthy fear response, my first instinct is to protect others, however.

Material goods are not worth risking ones life over, but telling that to myself then? Even if I had a time machine, went back and hit myself over the head with a clue by four..my head was way too thick at the time .

Comment

~calmly looks at the title and breaks into uncontrolable snickers~ For the record...I gave him the title!

also I hate to agree with kagato, but hes right, must of had the luck of angels on your side....
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                      My grandfather was told when he was a young man that he would die before he was 30, he died...at 87, always was a stubbon bugger mind
                      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

There is this online journalist, retired or dead by now, who because of his articles was always getting into trouble-- various governments or secret agencies would do anything to discredit his exposés, so he got his offices raided, his friends and family followed, and himself shot at. Regularly.

He only retired because of poor health, despite all of his difficulties, and his motto was: "If you are shot at, run toward the bullets."
                        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Working...
                        X