This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I hit the wall...literally.

The liquidation of the fabric store has begun in earnest. Every fabric that is not advertised in the (nationally-available) flyer has a liquidation markdown of 33%. Every fabric that is on sale is on sale for various percentages, then has a liquidation markdown on top of that of various percentages, depending on the sale percentage.

Everybody with me so far? ...Bueller?

Needless to say, everybody is confused, both customers and employees. Fortunately, the sale signs are printed in nice big type that even my nearsighted eyes can see from the cutting counter. Still, we have to figure out which fabric gets what percentage and hand-enter it into the handhelds. I turned to my coworker and said, "Next week, we'll have to figure it by pi."

Coworker:
    Me:
    Coworker: I thought you were serious for a moment!

I've been having an awful lot of clumsy moments lately: dropping things, slipping on fabric lint, cardboard cuts from signs and bolts, etc. Today took the cake. As I was putting fabric back, I went to where another coworker had been rearranging the fleece. A customer had asked her something, and she went to help her, asking me to put the fleece back. Not a problem, so I went to do so.

I ended up tripping on something -- loose fabric, my own big feet, I don't know -- and slammed right into the shelves on the wall. Big bruise on my upper arm, otherwise nothing hurt but my pride.

Scared the customer and my coworker. Coworker made sure I was okay. Later, customer came up to me and made sure I was okay. I appreciated their concern. I joked that if I'd be lucky if I didn't accidently decapitate myself by the end of the shift.

It's going to get weirder as the sale goes on. We will all be very happy when we are finally moved into the new store...just in time for Black Friday.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

I still have some fabric I bought at a fabric store that was moving years and years ago... I am terrible about buying fabric. Someday I might use it, and it's cheap! I can't resist!
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
      I still have some fabric I bought at a fabric store that was moving years and years ago... I am terrible about buying fabric. Someday I might use it, and it's cheap! I can't resist!
      That happens to me with notebooks. Since college I've only been able to write in nice quality paper/cover notebooks, so whenever I go to B&N I have to try really hard not to buy one of their notebooks even though the ones I have already aren't full yet.

Anyway:

I'm glad that the people who are sticking with you memory-wise have been nice and understanding. I got a when the customer came back to check on you.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        ...and slammed right into the shelves on the wall...
        You may have observed, when you walk into a wall, you get a certain sensation of reality...

The Incredible String Band "Puppet Song" U - 1970
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Ay... someone else has even heard of Incredible String Band?

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Ay... someone else has even heard of Incredible String Band?
            Saw them. UofU Student Center. 1970ish.

ISB == offbeat + offpitch + offrhythm = soundsright!
            Last edited by dalesys; 09-25-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure why, but every now and then I become super clutz at work. Last week I stood up...right into a shelf. *ow* And later an employee offered to share her umbrella with me as we sprinted to our cars. She opened it and poked/scratched my forehead. No lasting wounds at least.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                I'm not sure why, but every now and then I become super clutz at work. Last week I stood up...right into a shelf. *ow*
                I think the shelves are out to get us...
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                  This is why I shouldn't be allowed in craft stores when there are sales on yarn.

Comment

I'm pretty sure some of my mom's fabrics are as old as me!
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I easily have a year's worth of fabric in my sewing room. As in I could make quilts all year without going on a fabric run.

My quilty friends say "Only a year?"

*whistles innocently*
                      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                        My quilty friends say "Only a year?"
                        Well.... Jovian?

Comment

My MIL would like to pass on her most recent experience as a warning. Mums is a lifelong quilter/knitter/smocker/etc. She too had all kinds of fabric and yarns and thread stored away in cabinets and boxes. Recently she had to throw out over half of what she had because mice got into a tall cabinet and made a nasty mess. There may have been a squirrel getting at it too, judging by the smell.

She advises that you should go through your stockpiles every few months to make sure that mice or worse hasn't got at all those lovely soft fabrics so perfect for nesting material. Moths and silverfish love 'em too.

I don't worry about it myself because I've got all the handcraft talent of a porcupine. I stockpile cookbooks and baking stuff.
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                          X