This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain won't be quiet :p

Ok, so as normal I have hundreds of game ideas running through my head. I wanted peoples opinion on two that have been especially running amok through my brain.

The first is based loosely on Vampire the Masquerade. The characters would be 13th generation (the higher the generation the more powerful the vampire)..and end up finding some of the elders all dead. Groups and groups of them, without any explanation. The fear being, of course, is that they might be next. What is more, it is thought to be difficult to kill ONE elder, let alone dozens of them at a time.

The next is a bit more ... complex.

It is about the fall of Atlantis. The characters would be Atlantians, during the age when Atlantis fell. Now they can not stop the fall, but they can decide HOW the people of Atlantis fare when it falls. (Ie if they all sink to the bottom of the ocean and parish, if they all escape to the stars, or what). It also will be a futuristic game..in a past setting.

The characters take part in what is called 'The Game' which is a virtual reality game that happens in Atlantis. The entire city is part of the game. They get to chose one of 5 'classes', which have 4 stats. Strength (damage done), Accuracy (how easy it is to hit or avoid being hit), Speed (how fast they can hit), and Endurance (how much damage they can take). Each of the four main classes has an advantage in one of the stats, and the fifth .. well. The fifth has a big disadvantage at first, with a huge advantage at the end. (Which will be explained if I ever do this game). Now I won't release spoilers beyond this, but suffice to say that something happens that will give them a 'heads up' that Atlantis is doomed..

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mytical; 09-26-2012, 05:30 AM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

For some great backstory ideas, read Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead; it deals with the fall of Atlantis and their escape to ancient Ireland; or you could read the Akallabeth chapter of The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, which deals with the rise and fall of Numenor.

Comment

The only real, important thing when designing games is that it's what YOU like. If you try to make something for other people that you're not as interested in, your heart may not be in the work, and the results may be less than stellar (or sparkly in the case of the vampire game).

I don't know to what extant you can code, but if you need to go with someone else then your vision may not be entirely what you have in mind. Even just learning a code language from scratch is usually better than going with someone else.

My brain, too, is never quiet with game ideas, and I'm always working on lots of projects. One of the things to remember when in a spot like that, is to stick to something long enough until you've got something to show for it (even if it isn't very playable). But, at the same time, don't turn your back on the other ideas; write them down or something for future consideration.

I'm more a FreeBASIC coder than C++, so I can't give any coding tips, but I advise you work with whatever language you're most comfortable with.
      Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

I can relate to the brain never shutting up thing.

I'm a restlessly creative type, too, and it's not usually game ideas as just story ideas.

In the past week, my brain has been kicking around ideas for:
        - Star Force One, my SF novel
        - Beryleye, a novel I started for NaNoWriMo two years ago, but never came close to finishing
        - Wrestling fanfic
        - And after seeing "Looper" yesterday, a fanfic chronicling the rise of The Rainmaker.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I still need to finish R.E.A.L (my short story), have dozens of game ideas bouncing in my head, and want to work on a card game too. I am really fleshing out the Atlantis game..maybe even thinking about instead of a one shot (once Atlantis is gone..then what)..having the characters do a Quantum Leap thing..you know go put right things that went wrong in the past?
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            I can relate to the brain never shutting up thing.

I'm a restlessly creative type, too, and it's not usually game ideas as just story ideas.
            Me too. I've been known to wake up in the middle of the night b/c my brain is just too active.

I think in the past month I've been coming up with how to finish least 2 fanfics that I've gotten started(one involving Lynda and Brenda getting locked up in a mental hospital that turns out to be a THRUSH plot of some sort) and another idea for a 2nd generation MFU story involving an explosion at the NYC headquarters of UNCLE.

Yep . . . know how it is.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
            X