This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y u pass me?

M Street, where I live, is in the middle of a semi-suburban Stepford community with lots of little kids, and lots of trees and hedges for them to hide behind and dash out from. The speed limit is 30 km/h (less than 20 mph). It and a few others are the slowest streets in the area. There are huge speed bumps every dozen houses or so. (My husband grew up on this street and says that as a kid he loved watching thru traffic roar past and bottom out their undercarriages on the bumps.)

I bike to work. The street is narrow enough that if there's traffic in both lanes, a car can't pass a bike safely. If you're driving and you come up behind me, you have to follow me until traffic going the other way clears, and then you can pass.

HOWEVER. Between the turn from B Street and the stop sign at the C Street and M Street intersection, there's a very gentle downhill slope. If I'm pedaling in this section rather than coasting, I'm doing -- guess what! -- the speed limit. You therefore have no fracking reason at all to pass me! Stay where you are.

After we cross C Street the slope is upwards, and I never make it to 30 on that stretch. I typically get up to 27 km/hr there. You can either try to pass me, sideswiping other cars and shoving me into the gutter, or you could settle for 27 until I get to the top of the very short hill and turn into my driveway. But guess which one people prefer.

I don't want to start a fight, but if I was in the car behind you, I'd pass too if it was safe to do so. Even if you were going the speed limit. In fact, except for the ones that sideswipe cars and push you over, they're doing you a favor. All it can take is one little bump for you to fall on a bike, and then you're run over by that car behind you.

Yes, ideally they'd stay back far enough that everyone would be safe. I wish it was an ideal world, because I'm still terrified driving on the road instead of staying in my safe little neighborhood.

Comment

I agree with GOInsanity. Nothing against people on bikes, but they scare the heck out of me. When I come up behind them, I'm scared that they may tip over or accidently swerve into the lane. It's easier just to pass them and hope for the best.

Comment

I'd pass, too. It's just safer because I don't want to kill anyone if they move or fall. I drive in Montreal often where a lot of bikers think they're invincible and do whatever they want; including breaking all kinds of laws to get to where they want to go.

Even in my hometown, I will pass a biker just in case they decide that riding in a straight line isn't what they wanted.

Hell, I nearly had a heart attack last month when a biker swerved in front of me. He didn't even think of slowing down and looking behind. Just moved over. Thank goodness my brakes are new.

Comment

In the US, legally-speaking, cyclists have as much right to the roadway as cars. If a cyclist is ahead of you and not impeding traffic, it's best to just remain calm, stay the proper following distance (almost nobody does this), and just wait until one of you has reason to turn off and be on your merry way.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I dunno. Stay behind at a safe distance in case I fall, or pass me on a street so narrow that someone is going to get hit or fall.

Comment

Well yeah, if it's a narrow one way barely big enough for my side mirrors, I'll stay behind. A narrow two way when traffic clears, I'm passing. I've had way too many close calls otherwise.

Comment

GOInsanity, Wooden etc - The difference is you guys said "If/When its safe" to do so, you'd pass.

Flying Grype, I'd imagine, is directing this at those exemplary few, who prove it is possible to live without a brain, and don't pass when its safe, they pass whenever they feel like it.

Flying Grype - I used to bike everywhere aswell, so I can fully see your position on this
                "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Working...
                X