X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, what?

I don't get it.....
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      Now that was a short subject.
      Eh. It satisfies me.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
        Wait, what?

I don't get it.....
        We're talking measurements. As in not all men are created "equal" if you can get my meaning.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I used to get sat on when taking the train to my high school quite a lot and walking across crosswalks was getting dangerous. People used to walk into me with annoying frequency but in the past year or so they part like the red sea in front of me. They see me now, I wonder why. I suspect's it's an eye contact thing I used to be awfully shy and would not make eye contact and now I look at everyone straight in the eye who look at me. Also, someone recently mentioned I look scary now unless I speak, then they realise I'm not a homicidal rage monster. . I guess I don't give a toss anymore and it shows in my demeanour.

Comment

It's a presence thing.

I've always had a vibrant presence when out and about so people tend to notice me when they're in my sphere of influence, as it were. Plus, I make a point of noticing others; I smile at everybody - not only does it brighten people's days, but it tells anyone planning mischief that I'm quite aware of my immediate environment.

Wallflowers and people who want very much to be left alone tend to internalize their own presence, making them harder to notice by others who are too self-absorbed to really use their eyes as opposed to taking shortcuts and filling in what's around them with cues taken from their subconscious.

I have gone "invisible" when absorbed in solo pursuits, however. There were many times when I'd be playing some portable game when people would be actively looking for me and look right past me. At one party, I looked up, watched the person scan the room and then leave, and I turned to the others in the same room and told them to wait, he'd be back, and he'd ask where I was. It took about five minutes before he did just that.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              We're talking measurements. As in not all men are created "equal" if you can get my meaning.
              In that case, I'll have to borrow a quote from the esteemed Michael Caine and say "It's not the size mate, it's how you use it".
              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                It's a presence thing.

Wallflowers and people who want very much to be left alone tend to internalize their own presence, making them harder to notice by others who are too self-absorbed to really use their eyes as opposed to taking shortcuts and filling in what's around them with cues taken from their subconscious.

That explains how in high school, I could be dressed head to toe in black, stand against a white wall, be in sunlight, and still have people walk past me several times, before asking someone standing right beside me if they had seen me.

I did get some great scare responses from people when I'd speak up, or move enough for it to register that there actually is someone there.

Comment

Well on the bright side you could get away with robbing a bank or become a prank master if no one can see you. People would think they are hallucinating when things vanish.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
                    Well on the bright side you could get away with robbing a bank or become a prank master if no one can see you. People would think they are hallucinating when things vanish.
                    Alas. People who work security are generally trained to notice otherwise-invisible people. It's what they do.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                      In that case, I'll have to borrow a quote from the esteemed Michael Caine and say "It's not the size mate, it's how you use it".
                      I've always been partial to, "It's not the size of your wave, but the motion in your ocean."
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        I've always been partial to, "It's not the size of your wave, but the motion in your ocean."
                        That may be true, but it takes a long time to get to England in a rowboat.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My brother has always had this ability. He can be sitting in the only chair in a room and you STILL won't see him until he wants you to. And he's not exactly a small guy - 195cms and 120kgs. Bugs the crap out of me because I can't do it. And I'm MUCH shorter than he is.

I, on the other hand, am only invisible when I'm driving my POS car. Twice in the last week I've been coming up to a spot on a local road where two lanes merge into one. The convention is that you 'take turns' merging, but two times this week it's been my turn and the idiot woman driving a black 'SUV' (minivan, I don't care what you want to call it, it's still a minivan driven by an oblivious soccer mom) has practically forced me off the road because she WILL NOT give way.

My middle finger is getting worn out and my vocabulary has deteriorated alarmingly. As soon as I find a job I'm buying a new car, preferably a large, bright yellow something with a really obnoxious horn.
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            That may be true, but it takes a long time to get to England in a rowboat.
                            Now take that comment and imagine it said by a female.

And I guarantee you it will have a totally different vibe.

Of course, there again, some of us women prefer to take our time to get where we want to be.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The drawback to my custom leather jacket is that I may becoming a bit too visible.

ETA: It does come in handy when I'm walking home at night with my earbuds in and so less likely to perceive any cars coming my way.
                              Last edited by taurinejunkie; 10-10-2012, 09:14 PM.
                              Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Working...
                              X