This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened, I'm unemployed now

No more waiting with baited breath, the phone call came yesterday morning. Yes you heard right, they told me over the phone. Classy right? It wasn't even my boss calling me, it was someone from the Human Resources department.

Now, for a few months we've been having trouble bringing in new business. Boss had been dropping hints that our department might get shut down. Lots of people have left, especially anyone above entry level but below upper management (like me). So I know financial reasons are pretty much why the company is getting rid of folks.

So far everyone that has been let go was officially terminated for "poor performance". I am no exception. My formal notice says I was underperforming. I'm livid that they've gotten away with this for so long. Why are they so reluctant to admit they're struggling for business?!

Can you challenge that in some way?
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth scary cary View Post
      Why are they so reluctant to admit they're struggling for business?!
      It's all about them not wanting to pay unemployment probably. That said, file for it anyway and explain to them everything and you will probably still get it.

Comment

I second the unemployment. Make sure you file anyway and let them back up your "poor performance" with paperwork that doesn't exist. I'm sorry.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
          Can you challenge that in some way?
          If they haven't done regular reviews, easily, at least in the US (and only for unemployment, not for getting the job back). The burden of proof is in the hands of the person who made the decision.

Comment

They're pretty much counting on the fact that you won't file for that reason.

File anyway. If they can't prove anything if it comes to a court date, it could be in your favor.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your layoff. Even though it wasn't entirely unexpected, I'm sure it was still something of a shock.

I agree with the advice here to file for unemployment. Let them have fun trying to prove it.

Comment

Your situation sucks. But file anyway.

Hubs had issues with the store manager when he worked for a certain FF chain. When he went over her head, he was suddenly fired for "poor performance". Their support was a 3 mo. old write-up, and he'd gotten two positive write-ups in the interim. I don't recall the exact wording, but Hubs ended up getting his unemployment, and it only actually took maybe two weeks longer than unemployment normally takes.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I got unemployment! I am incredibly relieved!!
                  Also have an interview lined up for next week so I'm really hoping something good comes my way soon!

Thank you guys so much for all the advice! You were right, they couldn't prove anything. I feel a little scared but free! The shooting pains in my shoulder are gone, guessing it was mostly from the stress of having to work there. It feels like I just got out of an abusive relationship: I have a little more self confidence but I'm a little scared of what's going to happen. No more inconsistent bosses making me second guess myself or belittling me OR making me sound like an idiot during conference calls!

Comment

Fantastic! So, so glad to hear it!
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Well done! Im glad you got the compensation you deserve. Hope your interview goes well.

Comment

Working...
                      X