This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree in the road

Pretty much what the title says. We went out to give some photos to the South 2 derby team and on the way back saw it was storming pretty back outside.

on our last road we suddenly realized there was... dang. there's a tree in the road.

My BF pulled to the left, angling the car and we both got out to help another driver clear the worst of it out. It wasn't a big tree, but it still could do some damage to an unwary driver.

With other cars starting to approach. ... this is where it started getting stupid. Cos the other drivers weren't slowing down at first. We started having to direct traffic around my bf's car.

The last one was a doozy. The woman behind the wheel was annoyed that we were in her way. My BF had to explain to her twice that there was a tree in the road, but she didn't care because other cars had already driven over the spot...

like wtf lady, we JUST FINISHED clearing it off.

But ... well we finally had room to get our car back into the right lane to drive off. and in the oncoming lane there were 2 cop cars, apparently on route to check out the obstruction.

About 30 minutes or so after we got home we heard the sound of chainsaws, probably clearing up the rest of the damage.

o wel, even if she was a jerk, we know we did the right thing.

Wow. Those drivers are stupid.

If I can get through a paper route during an autumn wind storm without clearing a fall in the road, it's a good morning. It's a fairly common occurrence when you live in a wooded area. I haven't seen this kind of stupid yet but...you've probably jinxed me now.

Nice of you to stop and help the other driver clear it. I remember once we went into the park (only one road in/out), and on the way out there was a large branch across the road. An old man on the other side was trying to clear it. I had to kick Hubs out to go help him since he wouldn't do it on his own, and the poor old guy really couldn't handle a branch that big on his own. (What, you expected me to get all dirty when I have my Hubby slave? :P)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

We had that on the move down, except it was a full grown cottonwood and it was ~midnight and this was the only road out of the state. One woman was freaking out, one guy was trying to call a buddy to come help, and another was calling the police. We just put the flashers on, pull out the chainsaw, get some guys to help and had the road open in 10 minutes.

Comment

I was at a friend of a friend's having work done on my old Hornet when a tree across the street and one house over decided it wanted to have a little lie-down. It was quite fascinating watching it just sort of lean closer to the street and oh-so-slowly topple to the ground. The crown of the thing was in just the right position to pretty much completely cover the car that had been parked across from it.

Anyway, the street the foaf's house was on was in a small neighborhood, and another house past where the tree used to stand it made a right turn. I lost count of how many people came tearing around that corner from the other way and then had to come to a screeching halt before ramming into the downed tree.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          I lost count of how many people came tearing around that corner from the other way and then had to come to a screeching halt before ramming into the downed tree.

^-.-^
          Oh, for a large tripod, some ropes and pulleys, so that it could laid down anew for each driver...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

the tree's still pretty beat the fuck up too. It looks like they only sawed off what was likely to jump back into the road. The rest of the tree is still bent over, probably so the homeowner can get some insurance claims for it or something. (at least that's what my parents did when a drunk girl hit a few trees in our yard).

And I forgot to mention ... as I was walking back to the car, after my BF tried explaining to the driver why we were in her glorious way... I said rather loudly, ... "Is she COMPLAINING?" Cos yes, I knew fully well her window was open.

Comment

Working...
            X