This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my dog claustrophobic?

So I was wondering, can dogs be claustrophobic?
    I've had two dogs, my first dog, a German Shepherd mix was purely outside for the first 10 years of her life. Never even thought of crate training her. I guess it wasn't really a thing in the 90's.
    However, my fence has several holes in it(I'm in a struggle with my rental company to fix it) so I didn't feel comfortable having him outside all the time. So I tried the crate thing since some friends of mine have had success. But he's hasn't quite taken to it, particularly more recently. Sometimes it's fine, but other times, well.... See we had to buy a slightly bigger crate because the older was getting to cramped for him.
    Last night we left around 6:30 to the gamestore, the BF to play War Machine, me to do homework and chill.So we left 13 year old with instructions to put Buster up before he goes to bed, around 10pm.
    So that's what he did. We got home about 5 past 12 to find Buster out, the crate upended, and things from the desk(where the crate is kept under) were scattered about. He'd rammed the door hard enough to bed the rods back and squiggle out somehow.
    So as he's gotten older he freaks out more and more once he's in the crate (even though he goes in willingly enough).
    But, my boyfriend has left him in the bedroom with a couple toys for several hours while we've both been at work and he's been fine.

My old Stormy dog
    Buster, at rest

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals..._training.html

this has some good advice on crate training & its usage

Comment

Working...
    X